Yampa Shorts Test III

  • mpaggiol@gcr.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2001
      Yampa Shorts Test, Test III 7/1/01 & 7/2/01

      The Yampa Shorts held up better than my vehicles have since the last test.
      Are we testing any pick up trucks soon? Ford marketing is calling
      themselves gear outfitters????

      The weather forecast was not very favorable for Sunday afternoon & and I
      was waiting for a phone call between 8:45 & 10:00 so no long range plans
      were going to take place. I wanted to check if the key clip in the bottom
      leg pocket was beneficial for kayaking. On my second report I mentioned it
      was a minor nuisance that low on my leg. I grabbed the kayak & headed to
      the local pond. Shorts held up well while digging the kayak out from under
      the roofing shingles & hiking gear that had been piled up on it since last
      summer. As expected, the upper zipper pockets are above the top of the
      kayak cockpit. Sure, you can zipper them shut but in case of a momentary
      brain lapse, (leaving the pockets unzipped), you could have a major
      inconvenience. The lower leg pocket though is below the top of the cockpit
      & if you failed to secure your keys to the clip & did not fasten the
      velcro, for recreational kayaking, barring capsizing, your keys would fall
      into the kayak, not the lake.

      I got my phone call at 9:30 and promptly checked the Weather Channel. I
      was in central CT, a line of thunderstorms were in Syracuse, NY.
      Destination Mt. Greylock, MA's highest point in northwest MA & likely the
      first place in MA to get hit with the squall line. I arrived at the
      trailhead on the east side of the mountain just before 12:00 with a
      threatening sky overhead. I managed to keep a pretty decent pace & was
      about two miles in when I first heard thunder off in the distance. I still
      had about one mile to go. Noon time weather was very humid with a
      temperature in the middle 80's and the Yampa Shorts were a bit damp. As a
      person who sweats profusely & one who was also trying to get to the top of
      a mountain as quickly as possible, staying dry was unlikely. Ten minutes
      later, it be impossible.

      As I passed the highest body of water in MA on the highest peak I figured I
      was just missing a couple of golf clubs. I was within about 2/10's of a
      mile from the Summit Tower when it began to rain. Thunder & lightening was
      increasing but still not overhead. Once in the War Memorial Tower atop Mt.
      Greylock, I put on a dry shirt & my shell & headed down before the main
      fireworks began. Having a choice to walk a small section of road or go by
      the pond, I opted for the road walk. Ten minutes later, the rain came down
      in sheets & once again, I was soaked, head to toe. A few closer lightening
      strikes but I managed to get to the car & on my way before the main cell
      struck the hill.

      After Sunday I had concluded that the Yampa shorts were as comfortable as
      any pair of shorts I've worn soaking wet. After wearing polyester boxers
      on Sunday, I also concluded they were more comfortable soaking wet in
      briefs. I also carried just the two car keys, a whistle & Photon light on
      the key chain & it was less noticeable than my whole key chain. (four car
      keys, & a small remote entry key chain.)

      I was home by 5:00 & in the early evening washed the shorts & hung them to
      dry. I was going to pack the Yampa shorts & some clothes for a hike Monday
      after work. Destination: arguably the Western Hemisphere's most climbed
      mountain, New Hampshire's Mt. Monadnock. Monday started cool, brisk & as
      clear as a crisp October Day. I started packing & the Yampa shorts were a
      little damp so I threw them in the dryer for 20 minutes before hopping in
      the shower. They were dry & stuffed into a bag for later. By 7:00 PM we
      were on the trail & headed up for some sunset pictures & a headlamp
      descent. Weather was around 60 at the base & in the middle 50's at the
      summit with a brisk 25 MPH wind with gust in the low to middle 30's which
      made picture taking without bracing yourself tough & four hikers glad they
      brought some extra clothing. After about ten minutes of standing around,
      our fingers got cold.

      I had sweated a bit on this trip too but in more typical mountain hiking
      weather, the shorts stayed dry. The zipper pockets are great when putting
      your own wrappers in the pocket & keeping valuables safe. The last two
      hikes were with a large fanny pack with the belt squarely over the Yampa
      belt buckle I initially had some concerns about. No issues or problems
      with the fanny pack.

      Final analysis:

      Yampa shorts are well made & designed. I'd be happier if there was a
      second key clip in one of the upper pockets also but if only one is going
      to be included & the target market are boaters & hikers, it's much safer in
      it's current place. I'd also be happier if the available waist sizes were
      every inch instead of two inches (34, 36, 38) However, the belt does a
      great job keeping the pants in place. Drying times on the trail I thought
      may have been a little slow but after the first two hikes I was worried
      they attracted rain & thunderstorms. Excessive sweating is nothing to brag
      about but if you are not the biggest sweater you know, they should be fine.
      On a real humid 85 degree day most people go swimming so how many days like
      this exist. The shorts held up well to a couple of washings as you would
      expect any "made in USA" garment to do

      Would I buy a pair of Yampa shorts? This is a hard call. The suggested
      price in my opinion was high but then again I worked at a large Northeast
      USA based retailer for about three years buying more gear than I can use at
      discounted prices. However, if you like the quality of a 100% USA made
      garment (something that most outdoor retailers & gear makers can't say, as
      some make material here but have assembled abroad) and don't mind paying
      for that quality than these shorts should be highly considered. There is a
      cliché that says you get what you pay for.

      Mike P.