Nalgene

  • richard.dreher@jacobs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2001
      Every (non-Lexan) Nalgene bottle I've owned (and I've had lots of
      them) eventually breaks down and disintegrates. They turn yellowish
      and brittle, and show a crazed appearance. At that point you can
      crush them in your hand. I've probably thrown out a dozen and a half
      of them over the years.

      Oddly, the caps are fine.

      The one in the pack was old and likely as not suffering from this
      malady. Still, it's weird that the glass vial survived while it
      didn't.

      I've been told that Nalgene's plastic *used* to not be UV stabilized
      and now is. The curious thing about this theory is that many of the
      little bottles I've had fail spent 99% of their lives in storage or
      inside a pack--safe from any UV exposure. I certainly hope labs using
      Nalgene to store their hydrofluoric acid haven't had similar
      experiences:-)

      My idle speculation is that Nalgene, as a lab supplier, has always
      primarily been concerned with formulating their containers to not
      contaminate their contents. It does seem to be the case that they
      don't flavor water like many other plastic containers do. This *may*
      mean that their are strength and longevity tradeoffs as a result.

      --Rick