Re: Hike N' Light

  • richard.dreher@jacobs.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
      Wow, nice flame!

      Looks like it's time for Hike N' Light Junior. Thanks for the link.

      --Rick

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Dave Hicks" <daveh@p...> wrote:
      > For those interested, check out the following:
      >
      > http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/13/default.htm
      >
      > This report seems to confirm my test & observations.
      >
      > Chainsaw
    • Ryan Jordan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        > Wow, nice flame!
        > Looks like it's time for Hike N' Light Junior. Thanks for the link.

        The tester that is evaluating the stove initially took this photo. He said
        2T was a massive amount of preheat fuel. However, he recently returned from
        the mountains with it where temps were in the 30s in the AM and mentioned
        that 2T might not be a bad idea. He ended up using only a few teaspoons but
        more would have been nicer for the cold temps. I suspect it's because the
        stove has lots of surface area to preheat. But I'm no alcohol stove expert,
        so who knows.

        Ryan (Big Sky Ry)

        > > For those interested, check out the following:
        > >
        > > http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/13/default.htm
        > >
        > > This report seems to confirm my test & observations.
        > >
        > > Chainsaw

      • GearTester
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
          Natural Fiber layering? I've got lots of plans for us. First we had to
          produce. We're doing that. I'll be able to make a lot more head way at the
          August OR show. This is progressing much faster than I hoped. I assumed it
          would take at least a year just to get it off the ground. We received our
          first product to test just about 8 months ago. We had about 40 members at
          that time. We've now tested 20 products and have almost 400 members in just
          about 3/4 of a year. Not bad to my way of thinking. The way these things
          work is the more you get, the more you get. We're off to a heck of a good
          start. I want everyone to start thinking of the things they are interested
          in...the manufacturers they want me to go to. Don't send it to the list yet,
          just get ready. I'll be calling for your lists just before the show.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
            It was not the pre-heat issue that I was focusing on as much as the
            conclusion that, "the Hike N' Light stove may be one of the few alcohol
            stove designs particularly suitable for those wanting to cook for larger
            groups or with larger pots" -- albeit I'd be a tad concerned about the
            stability of the clips/pot stand.

            In my report, I opined that the Hike N' Light used under my 5 3/4 inches
            diameter backpacking pots produced excessive flame spillage, wasted fuel &
            can be dangerous in high winds. Also, the water starts to boil along the
            sides at the top of the water level, rather than the bottom of the pan.
            This will result in sticking/burning a ring of food around the pot at that
            level. However, when boiled two cups of water in a nine-inch cake pan,
            there was no flame spillage and the water boiled from the bottom up. Next,
            I dug out an old stack-pot car-camping set and tried the seven-inch pot.
            There was flame up around the sides of the pot but no flame spillage above
            the pot, and again the water boiled from the bottom up.

            My conclusion was that the stove's diameter is too large for my 5 3/4 inches
            in diameter pots and the Ti kettle. However, I agree with the Backpacking
            Light Product Review Team that the Hike N' Light stove may be particularly
            suitable for those wanting to cook for larger groups or with larger pots.

            Chainsaw

            BTW -- looking forward to your next installment of "A Westerner's Weekend on
            the Appalachian Trail," and loved your "The Base Layer: Wonderful Wool!"

            PS -- Hey Jerry, hoz'bout some testing of natural fiber laying.

            > The tester that is evaluating the stove initially took this photo. He said
            > 2T was a massive amount of preheat fuel. However, he recently returned
            from
            > the mountains with it where temps were in the 30s in the AM and mentioned
            > that 2T might not be a bad idea. He ended up using only a few teaspoons
            but
            > more would have been nicer for the cold temps. I suspect it's because the
            > stove has lots of surface area to preheat. But I'm no alcohol stove
            expert,
            > so who knows.
            >
            > Ryan (Big Sky Ry)
            SNIP