Hike N' Light

  • Dave Hicks
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2001
      For those interested, check out the following:

      http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/13/default.htm

      This report seems to confirm my test & observations.

      Chainsaw
    • richard.dreher@jacobs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
        Wow, nice flame!

        Looks like it's time for Hike N' Light Junior. Thanks for the link.

        --Rick

        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Dave Hicks" <daveh@p...> wrote:
        > For those interested, check out the following:
        >
        > http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/13/default.htm
        >
        > This report seems to confirm my test & observations.
        >
        > Chainsaw
      • Ryan Jordan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
          > Wow, nice flame!
          > Looks like it's time for Hike N' Light Junior. Thanks for the link.

          The tester that is evaluating the stove initially took this photo. He said
          2T was a massive amount of preheat fuel. However, he recently returned from
          the mountains with it where temps were in the 30s in the AM and mentioned
          that 2T might not be a bad idea. He ended up using only a few teaspoons but
          more would have been nicer for the cold temps. I suspect it's because the
          stove has lots of surface area to preheat. But I'm no alcohol stove expert,
          so who knows.

          Ryan (Big Sky Ry)

          > > For those interested, check out the following:
          > >
          > > http://www.backpackinglight.com/index/13/default.htm
          > >
          > > This report seems to confirm my test & observations.
          > >
          > > Chainsaw

        • GearTester
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
            Natural Fiber layering? I've got lots of plans for us. First we had to
            produce. We're doing that. I'll be able to make a lot more head way at the
            August OR show. This is progressing much faster than I hoped. I assumed it
            would take at least a year just to get it off the ground. We received our
            first product to test just about 8 months ago. We had about 40 members at
            that time. We've now tested 20 products and have almost 400 members in just
            about 3/4 of a year. Not bad to my way of thinking. The way these things
            work is the more you get, the more you get. We're off to a heck of a good
            start. I want everyone to start thinking of the things they are interested
            in...the manufacturers they want me to go to. Don't send it to the list yet,
            just get ready. I'll be calling for your lists just before the show.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2001
              It was not the pre-heat issue that I was focusing on as much as the
              conclusion that, "the Hike N' Light stove may be one of the few alcohol
              stove designs particularly suitable for those wanting to cook for larger
              groups or with larger pots" -- albeit I'd be a tad concerned about the
              stability of the clips/pot stand.

              In my report, I opined that the Hike N' Light used under my 5 3/4 inches
              diameter backpacking pots produced excessive flame spillage, wasted fuel &
              can be dangerous in high winds. Also, the water starts to boil along the
              sides at the top of the water level, rather than the bottom of the pan.
              This will result in sticking/burning a ring of food around the pot at that
              level. However, when boiled two cups of water in a nine-inch cake pan,
              there was no flame spillage and the water boiled from the bottom up. Next,
              I dug out an old stack-pot car-camping set and tried the seven-inch pot.
              There was flame up around the sides of the pot but no flame spillage above
              the pot, and again the water boiled from the bottom up.

              My conclusion was that the stove's diameter is too large for my 5 3/4 inches
              in diameter pots and the Ti kettle. However, I agree with the Backpacking
              Light Product Review Team that the Hike N' Light stove may be particularly
              suitable for those wanting to cook for larger groups or with larger pots.

              Chainsaw

              BTW -- looking forward to your next installment of "A Westerner's Weekend on
              the Appalachian Trail," and loved your "The Base Layer: Wonderful Wool!"

              PS -- Hey Jerry, hoz'bout some testing of natural fiber laying.

              > The tester that is evaluating the stove initially took this photo. He said
              > 2T was a massive amount of preheat fuel. However, he recently returned
              from
              > the mountains with it where temps were in the 30s in the AM and mentioned
              > that 2T might not be a bad idea. He ended up using only a few teaspoons
              but
              > more would have been nicer for the cold temps. I suspect it's because the
              > stove has lots of surface area to preheat. But I'm no alcohol stove
              expert,
              > so who knows.
              >
              > Ryan (Big Sky Ry)
              SNIP