3rd report on the JagBag Silk Liner

  • JONES, PHILIP T
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2001
      JagBag Silk Liner 3rd report

      I took a canoeing trip this past weekend and brought along my JagBag silk
      liner for testing. Daytime highs were in the upper 80's and the nighttime
      temps were around 70 degrees. I decided to go real light and not take any
      other sleeping bag on the trip.

      This is an annual canoeing trip that I have taken with several high school
      friends and our sons. It is more of a leisurely trip in that we do a lot of
      swimming along the way. It takes place on the Bogga Chitta River which
      starts in southern Mississippi and flows into Louisiana. We have a favorite
      spot along the river where we stop for the evening and set up camp. There
      is a small rapid just downstream that you can float through so we let the
      boys do that while we start our dinner. We light some charcoals in the
      sandy beach and barbecue and bake potatoes in the coals. Then we start a
      campfire, eat dinner and tell lots of stories. It's a guy thing.

      It was still warm, 75 degrees, when we hit the sack. I had on shorts and a
      t-shirt. I slipped into the silk liner and started counting stars. (We
      were in a large 6 person tent and I could see some stars out of the window.)
      I woke up around 2am and was still comfortable. About 5am I woke up again
      and could feel a slight chill. I knew that we would be getting up in just a
      few hours, so I pulled the hood over my head and went back to sleep. I
      didn't wake up again until 8am and by this time, the sun was shining and
      things were heating up again.

      Conclusions:

      The JagBag Endura Silk Hi Tech mummy liner performed nicely as a warm
      weather cover. It is very roomy and has a nice soft feel. I highly
      recommend this item for anyone that is considering a sleeping bag liner.
      This liner is equally as nice as the Design Salts liner that I already own.
      And, since the JagBag liner is $20US cheaper than the Design Salts liner, it
      is a very good value. As stated in my second report, I prefer the roominess
      of the JagBag liner over the Design Salts liner. And I am no heavyweight
      either, 5'8" and weighing in at 150lb on a rainy day. So, if you want a
      liner that won't feel like a straight-jacket (not that I have any experience
      testing straight-jackets), consider the JagBag liners. They definitely are
      comfortable and well made.

      I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jerry for all of his efforts
      in making this list possible and making it possible for the testers to get
      some first hand experience with gear that we may have never had an
      opportunity to test. I also want to thank Jackie Gardiner at Batiks, Ltd.
      for the opportunity to test the liner and for the prompt attention all of
      the testers received from her company.

      Phil Jones
    • JONES, PHILIP T
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2001
        Don't you just love :Yahoo. It took 20 minutes for my report to hit the
        list. I filed my report at the same time that I uploaded it to the group.