Re: EDIT:Mountain Hardware Transition Pants:Gaby

  • Gab
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      Thank you, I will edit asap. Darn Germans...and I noticed, I think I
      shrunk since the last time. I used to be 1.58 m tall. :(

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "grahamblamey" <gg@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Gaby and welcome once again. You have written a fine first
      review here. You have described the pants well and have given your
      subjective opinions as a result of your use during the period you've
      owned them. I have number of edits for you. You will find that some
      of them are to do with providing metric equivalents to weights and
      measures. This, at first, seems tedious but most people get used to
      it fairly quickly. Other edits are more related to sentence
      construction and spelling etc. I hope you are able to accommodate
      these edits as you have the basis of a first class review. I have
      tried not to interfere with your writing style at all as we like our
      reviews to read as written by real people. Stick with it and I'm
      sure you'll soon be on your way to testing gear with BGT.
      > When you have fixed everything, please post back to the list with
      REPOST in the subject heading and I will create a folder for you to
      upload to,

      > ### in general, could you refer to them as '...pants...' and
      not '...pant...' for the sake of consistency

      > > Height: 5' 2"
      > > Weight: 108
      >
      > ### for the benefit of our international readers, it is necessarry
      to add metric conversions to all measurements. This should
      read '...Height: 5' 2" (1.57 m) Weight: 108 lb (49 kg)

      > > Backpacking Background:
      > > I researched hiking and backpacking for almost one year and
      finally
      > > started hiking some of the US trails in 2002, a couple months
      later

      > ### should read '...a couple of months...'
      >
      > > Listed weight: Approximately 10 ounces
      >
      > ### you could write this as '...10 oz...' and please add the
      metric equivalent

      > > Usage: Alpine Climbing / Cool weather active
      >
      > ### is this your usage or the manufacturers suggested usage?
      >
      > > Laminate: Windstopper® N2S
      >
      > ### I suggest this might read better as '...Fabric: Gore
      Windstopper N2S Laminate...'

      > > Two side hand pockets
      >
      > ### zippered?
      >
      > > liked the style, finally a pants that looked good too. The
      material
      > > seamed to be tuff enough to survive my sometimes-rough hiking
      >
      > ### should be '...seemed..' and '...tough...'
      >
      > > and suppose to be extremely breathable.
      >
      > ### should be '...and is supposed...'
      >
      > > The middle WindStopper layer
      > > suppose to block wind to preserve thermal performance, while the
      >
      > ### should be '...is supposed...'
      >
      > > Field Information:
      > > As a long-term owner I have worn my Mountain Hardware Transition
      > > pants on numerous trips during cold, wet and even warmer
      conditions.
      > > Most of the trails involved some sort of boulder climbing.
      >
      > ### how do you define 'long-term'? You start your review in
      Sept.2002 and refer to 3 outings and in my opinion this doesn't
      really constitute long-term.

      > > September: 2002 Hospital Rock, NC Conditions: Sunny. Around 60
      to 65
      > > degrees. Area Description: Rocky Terrain.
      >
      > ### you need to indicate this as '...60 to 65 F...' and include
      the metric equivalents

      > > December 2002: Honey Creek Trail, Kentucky. Conditions: snow and
      > > ice. Temperature around 30 degrees. Area Description: Rocky
      Terrain.

      > ### 30 F and metric again
      > >
      > > February 2003: Linville gorge, NC . Conditions: snow and ice.
      > > Temperature around 10 degrees. Area Description: Very Rocky
      Terrain.

      > ### 10 F and metric
      > >
      > > Performance:
      > > Wind: I found that my Transition pants effectively blocked even
      > > heavy and very cold winds. This was even more improved once I
      wore a
      > > mid-weight base layer. I never had to wear more then a 2-layer
      > > total. (Base layer and my Mountain Hardware Transition pants)
      >
      > ### should be '...(base layer....)'
      >
      > > I felt comfortable warm in colder 10-degree conditions wearing a
      mid-

      > ### should be '...comfortably...' and metric please
      >
      > > weight base layer of long undergarments. During 17-degree
      weather I

      > ### metric please (to avoid being monotonous, could you apply the
      metric conversions to all temperatures and measurements that follow.
      I *know* it seems tedious but you'll get used to it :)

      > > pants suitable for even below zero conditions.
      >
      > ### you'd also need to indicate what this means F? C?
      >
      > > damp feeling due to the rain or snow. Falling in deeper snow did
      > > also not penetrate the waterproof material.
      >
      > ### this last sentence doesn't read right. you could
      try '...Moisture didn't penetrate the material, even when I fell
      over in deeper snow...'

      > > Warmer Temperatures: Surprisingly I did not experience any damp
      > > feeling due to sweat in temperatures above 50 degrees. I have
      worn
      > > those pants in temperatures as high as 65 degrees. I am not a
      > > heavily perspiring person, but I did not experience any
      discomfort
      > > due to heavy perspiration.
      >
      > ### '...I am not a person who perspires heavily...' and '...due to
      perspiration...' might read better

      > > Durability: About the only complaint I have is durability. The
      >
      > ### '...is over durability...' might read better
      >
      > > second time I've worn those pants I slipped on a large bolder.
      >
      > ### should be '...I wore these...' and should be '...boulder...'
      >
      > > know it was not a hard or painful fall, so I am sure there
      weren't
      > > any sharp corners on this rock. I got up and realized that the
      upper
      > > material of my pants was ripped in the knee area. No damage was
      done

      > ### would '...outer material...' be more accurate
      >
      > > In short: I don't go if I can't find my pants.
      >
      > ### shrewd decision :)
      >
      > > J And hey,
      > > they come in size XS!!!!!
      >
      > ### '...J And hey...' ? not heard that one before, typo ?
      >
      > > Pros: I love the look and the feel of the pant. I cannot think
      of
      > > any other material I would like more then this. This Garment
      keeps

      > ### no need for cap. G in '...garment...'
      >
      > > me warm during cold days and it keeps the sweat away from my
      skin
      > > during hard climbing where perspiration is unpreventable.
      > >
      > > Cons: Those pants are intended for alpine climbing; so a little
      slip
      > > on a rock should've not damaged the outer layer as quickly as it
      >
      > ### should be '...should not have damaged...'
      >
      > > Mountain Hardware via email. I received a reply the same day.
      The
      > > Mountain Hardware Customer Service did come across very nice and
      >
      > ### should be '...come across as very...'
      >
      > > courteous, they did offer to exchange the pants for a cost.
      >
      > ### delete comma and add '...and...' and '...pants at a cost to
      me...' might read better

      > > I think
      > > they could've offered to fix the damage for free as I did not
      > > improper care for the pants, nor was this an natural breakdown
      of

      > ### should be '...improperly care...' and '...a natural
      breakdown...'

      > ---

    • Gab
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        I have edit the first review and will post in a second. Some of the
        mistakes included MS Word transport mistakes. Some, well, some were
        just plain and simple German to English mistakes.

        You did not want me to remove my sentence "I don't go if I can't
        find my pants"?? I kind a liked it. :) I learned something new
        again. Pretty soon I will be able to get my Master in English. LOL