Re: extension on Brassslite Duo Field Report

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
      I'm enjoying reading your creative approaches to dealing with the
      Duo's "blowtorch" flame. I'm impressed by how you've dealt with it,
      but it's ultimately why it was discontinued. Most of the cooking
      challenges you've mentioned can't be resolved with a pot
      cozy...cooking fish for one thing. The Turbo stoves solve this
      problem quite nicely. I'm sure that you'd create some spectacular
      food using a TurboII. Anyway, I'm sure that whenever you do get to
      finishing your field report it will be great. Perhaps you ought to
      consider writing a trail cookbook?
      -Aaron

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      <snip>
      In case anyone else feels adventurous and wants
      > to go beyond boiling water, the Duo is quite a blowtorch. It is
      basically on
      > or off, as far as controls go. So how can one control the heat?
      Water boils
      > at the one temperature, (OK, pure water at sea level.) More heat
      only makes
      > the water boil more furiously and evaporate faster, but the
      temperature stays
      > about the same. That's why I poached the salmon. It likely would
      have been a
      > cinder otherwise. I like salmon too much to go the "Cajun
      blackened fish"
      > route. So, consider adding water for slightly poaching your fried
      eggs, or go
      > to poached or boiled, or double boiler style scrambled. Now that
      I am home and
      > have my tools available, I may try making an aluminum insert to
      hold a
      > plastic bag in the water for a boil-in-bag scrambled egg.
      >
      > I'm anticipating being able to finish the report about a week late
      if I get
      > the extension to have that week on the trail with the Duo. Let me
      know if it
      > is OK.
      >
      > TIA,
      >
      > Rosaleen

    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
        Rosaleen-

        Hope all is well with your mother.

        I checked with the moderator and he also agreed that your Field
        Report is extended until August 26. Let me know if you need anything
        else.

        I second Aaron's comments. Your menus sound wonderful.

        Bill Jeffrey
        BGT Brasslite Duo Monitor