OWNER REVIEW-LEATHERMAN WAVE

  • Martinez Jamie SSgt 22 TRS/CPFB
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
      Leatherman Wave Multi-Tool

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Jamie Martinez
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'5"
      Weight: 175
      E-mail: jamie.martinez-02@...
      Address: Fairchild AFB, WA, USA
      Date: July 3, 2003

      Backpacking Background: I started hiking around the deserts of El Paso, Texas, when I was about 11 and then ventured into more adventurous hikes after joining the Air Force and entering training to become a Survival Instructor. I have hiked in 7 different states and 5 different countries. I have been in every season and every type of environment. I have hiked the jungle in Thailand to the glaciers in Alaska. I do most of my hiking in a evergreen forest environment in both the summer and wintertime. I use a variety of gear but a knife is always on my person while in the wilderness.

      Product informatin

      Manufacturer: Leatherman Tool Group Inc.
      Year of Manufacturer: 2003
      Listed weight: 8 ounces
      Delivered weight: 8.2 ounces
      Length:
      Width:4 in. closed/6.25 in. opened
      MSRP: Varies with location ($59.99-89.99)

      The Wave comes in a cardboard box with the product information and warranty card. It is well packaged and a part of the stainless steel knife can be seen. The box is only slightly larger than the knife which makes the knife easy to remove. The cardboard box does explain some of the functions of the knife and makes the knife attractive to a buyer. I personally like the packaging as there is no annoying plastic to have to cut through. Also the tool comes with a black sheath which fits nicely on a belt.

      The Wave has 17 functions in the tool-Needlenose pliers, regular pliers, wirecutters, hard wire cutters, clip-point knife, serrated knife, diamond coated file, wood saw, scissors, extra small screwdriver, medium screwdriver, large screwdriver, Phillips screwdriver, can/bottle opener, wire stripper, and lanyard attachment.

      I most often use the clip-point knife and serrated knife. They are of high quality steel and hold an edge very well. I was issued the tool in March and only had to sharpen it this past month, the tool was constantly in use during that time period. The ease of opening them with one hand is a great feature to these two blades. The needlenose pliers come in very handy when you need to grab a small item. I also like the scissors function when precise cutting is required around the office. The wood saw is one of the best small wood saws I have seen. It will cut through a 2-3 inch thick branch in no time flat. The eyelet on the lanyard attachment is so small I found it difficult to put a good lanyard on the tool without the material rubbing apart and detaching.

      This tool was used in the temperate forests of Northeastern Washington from early March to the present. The altitude used ranged from 2200-3600 feet. The conditions were rainy, snowy times to 107 degree days. The item was used while actively raining and while the sun was blaring down on us. Also notable was the tool was used anywhere from the intense heat down to freezing temperatures. It performed well in each extreme.

      The trips it was used on were to support the USAF Survival School training program. The weather was constantly cold, March, to cool temperatures in May. The trips last for a week at a time while in the field and then support work while back on the base. I addressed earlier that the Wave worked great in wet and colder conditions. I also noticed that for the months it was used in wet conditions, no rust appeared on any part of any metal. Only in June and July has the temperature raised to very high temps. The past week while the item was used the dust began to be a factor. Little by little dust would end up in the grooves making the movement of the blades sluggish. This was in no way any fault of the manufacuturer.

      SUMMARY

      The Wave is a great tool that is very versatile and has more of a variety of tools that I commonly use than any other multi-tool I have every owned. I would recommend this product to anyone as the ease of use in varying environments is a very big consideration to those of us in the military or those who are worldly hikers/campers. If you need one tool for the job this would be it.

      Things I like:
      1. One-handed operation
      2. Holds an edge well
      3. Versatile
      4. Saw works well

      Things I don't like:
      1. Lanyard eyelet is too small
      2. After hours of use, the knife will begin to feel uncomfortable due to long rectangular housing

    • Graham Blamey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hi Jamie and welcome to BackpackGearTest.
        Thanks for your Owner's Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
        it for
        a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report will be
        subject
        to an official edit within seven days. If you have not had a response
        from
        an Edit Moderator via the list within this timeframe, please let us
        know.
        These
        edits and comments, while not official, should be considered
        carefully, and
        if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review.
        Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will usually
        result in
        a better review, as well as making things easier for the official
        editor.
        Please put REVISED at the start of your re-post, if you take this
        route.

        If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the
        community! The
        editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get
        your
        first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Once
        these
        first two Owner Reviews have been approved you will be eligible to
        start
        applying for Tests.

        the
        list or contact us directly.

        Regards
        The Edit Moderator Team
        reviews and tests on the planet
      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
          Jamie,
          Welcome to BGT. I didn't read your whole owner review of the Wave,
          but I want to say thank you for reading before posting. I'm pretty
          new to the site myself but in the short time I've been hear many new
          people have come and posted reports which didn't even come close to
          what the BGT website survival guide asks for. I'm not sure what
          there reasons were, but I thank you for a refreshing OR that at the
          very least followed the rules.

          Jamie D. in AZ

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Martinez Jamie SSgt 22