Jeremy - Owner Review: TNF Thunderhead 3D & Thermarest Luxury LE

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2003
      > Okay, this is my first post, I hope I'm doing this correctly. I
      > uploaded it to the website and they told me I had to publish the
      > report here first for approval. I originally wrote the review
      > for epinions.com. It is my original work and I would like to
      > publish it at backpackgeartest.org

      Good morning Jeremy. Yes, you're doing this correctly. By posting your
      review on the list it gives the editors a chance to have a go at it and help
      you make refinements. This process sometimes seems like a lot of work, and
      sometimes it is, but it is required to keep the our standards high.

      Both of your reviews - the TNF Thunderhead 3D and the Therm-a-rest Luxury
      LE - cover a lot of detail and we'd love to have them on the site.

      We do, however, really need you to read the documents we provide and make
      sure that you include all the information that we require - like some
      biographical information, for instance.

      There are a couple of documents that have been prepared to help you. First,
      there is the user friendly "How to become a gear tester in three easy
      steps". This is available here:

      Also, our list of rules and requirements is available here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php

      While the second document seems overwhelming at first, it isn't difficult to
      understand when you get into it.

      These documents will tell you how to meet our standards and requirements.
      Adding this information to your reviews shouldn't be difficult. You've
      already done all the hard work.

      Have a read through the documents and then resubmit your reviews through the
      list when you have a chance, making sure that they meet the requirements.

      If you have any questions in the middle, I'll be happy to answer them for
      you. There is also an Apprentice program designed to help you along in the
      process. If you feel that you need this kind of help, I will ask the person
      in charge of that program to have a Mentor contact you.

      We look forward to having you on board and testing
      for us.

      Thanks!

      Shane Steinkamp
      Acting BGT List Moderator
    • rcaffin
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2003
        Jeremy

        I'm not a Moderator or anything official, but for what it is worth
        here are a few comments which I think you need to address. It would
        help to read the edits for other Owner Reviews and some ORs as well.

        > Can't afford a down sleeping bag? Can't afford the super advanced
        > synthetic bag that compresses to the size of a softball? Buy the
        > North Face Thunderhead 3D made with industry trusted Polarguard 3D
        > synthetic material. For price vs. performance you can't beat this
        > bag if you're on a tight budget.
        YUK! This makes me think of a spruiker by a stand selling patent
        medicines. It's all Ra-Ra, Buy-buy-buy! If I came across this while
        searching for a sleeping bag review I would skip the whole review
        immediately. OK - it might suit a magazine, but it's NOT for BGT (at
        least as I understand it!).

        > Cold sleeping: I've slept in the bag a couple times on cold nights
        > in nothing but boxers (my preferred sleeping clothing) and I
        > stayed warm all night. The nights were in the high 40's and low
        > 50's--enough to make you want to use a bag.
        The first part of this paragraph is very good, but the last clause is
        not. Doubtless you will be told about "projecting" by the Mods. Tell
        me about what YOU found; do NOT try to tell me what I might find.
        It's a no-no here.

        > The Zipper: When I first brought the bag home the zipper got stuck
        > on the fabric several times and took 30 minutes to fix it. I took
        > it back and exchanged it and haven't had any trouble since...just
        > zip it up slowly when you're not in the bag to avoid zipper
        > situations.
        Same here. Try "I just zip it up slowly to avoid zipper problems."
        That reads much better.

        > The Cushion: Recently on a camping trip my trail mate forgot his
        >
        > Sleeping position: I tend to sleep on my side when I sleep and
        >
        > The hood: The hood is great. I am a right handed person and I got
        I rather like the way you have broken the discussion up into sections
        with a heading for each one.

        > Remember to store your bag properly. Leaving it compressed all the
        "Projecting": reword into the first person, or use the the third
        person for this sort of thing. "A bag should be stored properly.
        Leaving it compressed...."

        Cheers
        Roger Caffin
        PS: Ditto for the other review.
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2003
          At 01:47 PM 01/08/2003, you wrote:

          >Originally written for <http://www.epinions.com>http://www.epinions.com 17
          >May 2003
          >(c) 2003 WVaBackpacker

          Hi

          Just a further clarification and add to Shane's reply. When submitting to
          BackpackGearTest.org, you agree to hand over copyright to us. This
          statement will need to go, as I understand it.

          Regards
          Andrew Priest
          Chief Edit Moderator
          reviews and tests on the planet