Re: HSSC Fluid Field Report (Dave)

  • tcoug7
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      Here you go Dave. Good job!

      Thanks...Tim

      High Sierra Sport Company Fluid Hydration Pack
      Field Report - 7/22/2003

      Name: David Anderson
      E-mail: danderson@b...
      Age: 38
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'2" (1.87 m)
      Weight: 285 (130 kg)
      City: Lynnwood, WA

      I grew up car camping with my family in California, and started
      backpacking
      sometime around 5th grade. As an adult I've lived, worked and
      backpacked in
      New England, Colorado, Oregon and Washington. I've also gotten
      involved in
      sea kayaking in the last few years.

      #Comment: I suggest "kayaking over the last…".

      Product Info

      Manufacturer: <http://www.highsierrasport.com/>High Sierra Sport
      Company
      Year: 2003

      The HSSC Fluid hydration pack is a mid-sized daypack that comes with
      two-liter (68 oz) vinyl hydration bladder.

      The bladder has the fairly standard wide mouth cap that will allow it
      work with MSR water filters. The 39 inch (1 m) tube has a neoprene
      cover to

      #Edit: 39-inch

      insulate it from the elements. On the end of the tube there is a push-
      pull
      valve, with a bite valve that fits over the end of that.

      #Comment: Someone unfamiliar with hydration bladders may not know
      what the tube you mention is for. Maybe if you called it the "feed
      tube" or "drinking tube", or "fluid transport tube". Your call.

      Also, the last sentence could run smoother. How about " There is a
      push-pull valve on the end of the drinking tube. Attached over the
      valve is a bite valve."

      The bladder
      measures 14.75" x 6.75" (37 cm x 17 cm). The bladder weighs 6.5 oz
      (184 gm).

      High Sierra Sport claims that the pack measures 16" x 12.5" x 6" (41
      cm x
      32 cm x 15 cm) which are the same measurements that I came up with
      for the
      pack bag.

      #Comment: I agree with Tom here. Why don't you just continue in the
      same vein that you started out in, i.e. "The pack measures…". After
      you could say something like " This agrees with the High Sierra
      published dimensions…"

      The body of my pack is made out of blue Duralite ripstop nylon
      and 600-denier black Duralite. The construction all appears to be top
      quality.

      The larger main compartment contains three pockets. The largest
      pocket is
      the sleeve for the water bladder with a glove hook at the top to hold
      the
      top of the bladder. The hole for the tube is exits the pack at the top

      #Edit: delete "is"

      between the shoulder straps.

      To the left side of the bladder pocket is a small sleeve pocket, that
      haven't quite figured out what to do with yet. On the opposite wall
      of the
      pack is a full height zippered mesh pocket

      The smaller compartment contains a small zippered mesh pocket that is
      about
      the right size to stash some keys and some cash.

      #Comment: Do you keep the credit card somewhere else? Forget it…
      stupid joke, I know.

      Below that is a large
      pocket with five pen pockets on the front of it. On the cover of this
      compartment is a large mesh pocket and shock cord for tying on
      bulkier or
      wet items.

      In the bottom of the pack there is a small zippered pocket that holds
      rain cover.

      The pack comes with a frame that has about 3 inches (8 cm) of arch to
      it to
      hold the main pack bag away from the mesh back panel for better
      ventilation. The shoulder straps are also made of mesh for
      ventilation. The
      pack also has a sternum strap and a waist belt (not a hip belt) to
      help
      keep the load from shifting.

      There is some padding at the top of the back and a small part of the
      waist
      belt.

      #Comment: Where on the waist belt? I don't think I've ever worn
      anything with a waist belt, so what needs to be padded?

      The total pack weight is 2 lb 12 oz (1.25 kg)

      Field Report

      Conditions: I have been using the fluid on most of my dayhikes and
      daily

      #Edit: day hikes

      walks. These have all been in western Washington state, in the area
      between
      the Puget Sound and the Cascade foothills, in our normal mix of
      summer
      weather. The temperatures have ranged from 45-90 F ( - C) with some
      light

      #Edit: metric values

      rain thrown in, but mostly overcast or sunny.

      Suspension: I have given up on wearing the waist belt when doing
      anything
      short of scrambling up or down steep slopes. By removing the belt, I
      can
      carry the pack further up my back where it is more comfortable. With
      the
      belt removed I can tighten up the shoulder straps so that the Fluid
      rides
      higher on my back, which I find to be more comfortable. The mesh
      straps and
      back panel lets more of my sweat evaporate than I have experienced
      with
      standard solid straps.

      #Comment: Is the belt removable or simply not around your waist? If
      it's removable, I suggest you mention that in your description above.

      Pack Body: My normal load in the Fluid is a couple of sandwiches and
      bars
      for lunch, small bottles of sunblock and insect repellant, and a hat
      and
      sunglasses. If it looks like there might be some rain, I will toss in
      my
      raincoat, and if it looks like a great day for lounging around, I
      will toss
      in a paperback book. I also toss my keys and wallet in the mesh
      pocket in
      the main compartment. This works out to be a comfortable load in the
      Fluid,
      with room for a few more small items if I need them.

      I found that the pack works best when loading it up with small or
      soft
      items. The full water bladder gives the pack a curved storage area
      around
      the bladder. While I was able to load up the latest Harry Potter hard
      cover
      book, I would not really consider the Fluid to be an ideal bookbag

      #Edit: book bag

      , as I
      doubt that I would have been able to fit any two of my college
      textbook

      #Edit: textbooks

      into it with a full bladder.

      Hydration System: The bladder that I received as a replacement for
      the
      leaky bladder that came with the pack originally has worked very well
      without experiencing any leaks.

      My only real complaint about the hydration bladder is that if I leave
      some
      water in there over night, or if it is left in the car in the sun for
      while before hiking, the water picks up a plastic taste from either
      the
      bladder or the tube running to the bite valve. I usually only notice
      it for
      the first few sips, so I am not quite sure if all the water in the
      bladder
      picks up this flavor, or if it is just the water in the tube.

      #Comment: Suggestion – take a swig out of it at the fill point. You
      could stick a straw in if needed.

      Summary

      So far I am please with the Fluid hydration pack. It carries
      everything I
      need for a few hours of hiking or walking, while giving me the
      convenience
      of a hydration system. It is my preferred pack for dayhikes where I
      expect

      #Edit: my spell checker doesn't like this any way except "day hike".

      to be on my feet for several hours, and only need access to a few
      items in
      addition to my water.