Re: Bill J: Looking for an extension on Brassslite Duo Field Report

  • tcoug7
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
      Wow, Rosaleen...I feel really cooking challenged right now. I can't
      make half of this in a full kitchen!

      Glad to hear the worst is behind you and your family.

      Tim

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > Hi, Bill-
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
        > I am finally back from helping out my parents with Mom's cancer
        > surgery and all.

        How is she?

        > The made from scratch beef stew I cooked up at the picnic
        > table/break benches in front of Sarasota Memorial Hospital
        > turned some heads.

        LOL!

        Shane
      • Aaron
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
          I'm enjoying reading your creative approaches to dealing with the
          Duo's "blowtorch" flame. I'm impressed by how you've dealt with it,
          but it's ultimately why it was discontinued. Most of the cooking
          challenges you've mentioned can't be resolved with a pot
          cozy...cooking fish for one thing. The Turbo stoves solve this
          problem quite nicely. I'm sure that you'd create some spectacular
          food using a TurboII. Anyway, I'm sure that whenever you do get to
          finishing your field report it will be great. Perhaps you ought to
          consider writing a trail cookbook?
          -Aaron

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
          <snip>
          In case anyone else feels adventurous and wants
          > to go beyond boiling water, the Duo is quite a blowtorch. It is
          basically on
          > or off, as far as controls go. So how can one control the heat?
          Water boils
          > at the one temperature, (OK, pure water at sea level.) More heat
          only makes
          > the water boil more furiously and evaporate faster, but the
          temperature stays
          > about the same. That's why I poached the salmon. It likely would
          have been a
          > cinder otherwise. I like salmon too much to go the "Cajun
          blackened fish"
          > route. So, consider adding water for slightly poaching your fried
          eggs, or go
          > to poached or boiled, or double boiler style scrambled. Now that
          I am home and
          > have my tools available, I may try making an aluminum insert to
          hold a
          > plastic bag in the water for a boil-in-bag scrambled egg.
          >
          > I'm anticipating being able to finish the report about a week late
          if I get
          > the extension to have that week on the trail with the Duo. Let me
          know if it
          > is OK.
          >
          > TIA,
          >
          > Rosaleen

        • AsABat
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
            Rosaleen-

            Hope all is well with your mother.

            I checked with the moderator and he also agreed that your Field
            Report is extended until August 26. Let me know if you need anything
            else.

            I second Aaron's comments. Your menus sound wonderful.

            Bill Jeffrey
            BGT Brasslite Duo Monitor