Bill J: Looking for an extension on Brassslite Duo Field Report

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hi, Bill-

      I am finally back from helping out my parents with Mom's cancer surgery and
      all. My husband sent me the Duo stove and my father was a great sport about
      trying many meals cooked with a pretty neat piece of equipment. The poached
      salmon was an accomplishment. The made from scratch beef stew I cooked up at the
      picnic table/break benches in front of Sarasota Memorial Hospital turned some
      heads. Before Mom's surgery Myakka State Park was flooded, post-op I was at
      the hospital every day for most of 3 weeks, so I never did get there.

      I have been planning a week of hiking while hubby is teaching in California.
      Unfortunately, the test due date falls smack in the middle of the trip. So,
      while I've already started composing my thoughts on my stove write up, my
      serious available trail time for stove testing has been cut to (maybe) an
      overnight or two and a solid week.

      I made another dinner tonight (at home) using the Duo. I couldn't believe I
      mailed it Tuesday, flew home Wednesday, and used the stove Thursday! It took
      a week to mail it to Florida, packed in with the cook pots, some extra
      clothes, the fuel bottle, etc. I stuffed all but my stove and knife into my luggage
      and mailed home just my Sebertool (knife tool) and the Duo, packaged in a 2 L
      soda bottle. With delivery confirmation, it cost me about $2.30 and I had the
      package in two days. (Florida to Mass.) I may have stumbled on to something
      for future fly/camp vacations.

      Just to whet the thought process for foods that can be turned out on the Duo
      here are some of the dishes served up in the last few weeks with refrigerated
      foods available-

      One pot: Hamburger stew, bacon and eggs, (beef) steak tips teriyaki
      with rice, (beef) Italian steak tips with zucchini and potatoes in tomato sauce,
      Thai chicken and vegetables with rice, chicken stir fry with oriental
      vegetables and noodles, tuna and cheese macaroni with broccoli, cheeseburger
      macaroni, rice pudding, bread pudding, corn (pan) cakes, turkey in gravy, green peas,
      and barley. (Barley was cooked, dehydrated and rehydrated with boiling water
      in a cozy and plastic jar, frozen peas were boiled up and put in foil on top of
      the jar in the cozy, as the frozen cooked turkey simmered in the gravy mix.
      Hey, I've been gone 6 weeks!)

      Two pots: Poached salmon with potato-green bean-bacon medley.
      Vegetables were prepared first, the pot kept in a cozy while the salmon poached in a
      foil covered frying pan. Corn bread, pot with batter set in the frying pan
      containing water and covered with foil.

      I've been getting the knack of using the Duo in the yard, garage, house, and
      the one outing in front of the hospital. I would like to get it on the trail
      for more than a night or two. In case anyone else feels adventurous and wants
      to go beyond boiling water, the Duo is quite a blowtorch. It is basically on
      or off, as far as controls go. So how can one control the heat? Water boils
      at the one temperature, (OK, pure water at sea level.) More heat only makes
      the water boil more furiously and evaporate faster, but the temperature stays
      about the same. That's why I poached the salmon. It likely would have been a
      cinder otherwise. I like salmon too much to go the "Cajun blackened fish"
      route. So, consider adding water for slightly poaching your fried eggs, or go
      to poached or boiled, or double boiler style scrambled. Now that I am home and
      have my tools available, I may try making an aluminum insert to hold a
      plastic bag in the water for a boil-in-bag scrambled egg.

      I'm anticipating being able to finish the report about a week late if I get
      the extension to have that week on the trail with the Duo. Let me know if it
      is OK.

      TIA,

      Rosaleen

    • tcoug7
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
        Wow, Rosaleen...I feel really cooking challenged right now. I can't
        make half of this in a full kitchen!

        Glad to hear the worst is behind you and your family.

        Tim

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        > Hi, Bill-
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
          > I am finally back from helping out my parents with Mom's cancer
          > surgery and all.

          How is she?

          > The made from scratch beef stew I cooked up at the picnic
          > table/break benches in front of Sarasota Memorial Hospital
          > turned some heads.

          LOL!

          Shane
        • Aaron
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
            I'm enjoying reading your creative approaches to dealing with the
            Duo's "blowtorch" flame. I'm impressed by how you've dealt with it,
            but it's ultimately why it was discontinued. Most of the cooking
            challenges you've mentioned can't be resolved with a pot
            cozy...cooking fish for one thing. The Turbo stoves solve this
            problem quite nicely. I'm sure that you'd create some spectacular
            food using a TurboII. Anyway, I'm sure that whenever you do get to
            finishing your field report it will be great. Perhaps you ought to
            consider writing a trail cookbook?
            -Aaron

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
            <snip>
            In case anyone else feels adventurous and wants
            > to go beyond boiling water, the Duo is quite a blowtorch. It is
            basically on
            > or off, as far as controls go. So how can one control the heat?
            Water boils
            > at the one temperature, (OK, pure water at sea level.) More heat
            only makes
            > the water boil more furiously and evaporate faster, but the
            temperature stays
            > about the same. That's why I poached the salmon. It likely would
            have been a
            > cinder otherwise. I like salmon too much to go the "Cajun
            blackened fish"
            > route. So, consider adding water for slightly poaching your fried
            eggs, or go
            > to poached or boiled, or double boiler style scrambled. Now that
            I am home and
            > have my tools available, I may try making an aluminum insert to
            hold a
            > plastic bag in the water for a boil-in-bag scrambled egg.
            >
            > I'm anticipating being able to finish the report about a week late
            if I get
            > the extension to have that week on the trail with the Duo. Let me
            know if it
            > is OK.
            >
            > TIA,
            >
            > Rosaleen

          • AsABat
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
              Rosaleen-

              Hope all is well with your mother.

              I checked with the moderator and he also agreed that your Field
              Report is extended until August 26. Let me know if you need anything
              else.

              I second Aaron's comments. Your menus sound wonderful.

              Bill Jeffrey
              BGT Brasslite Duo Monitor