OWNER REVIEW- Eddie Bauer, 2 Person, 3 season, backpacking tent

  • escalosobre
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
      Eddie Bauer 2-Person, 3-Season, Backpacking Tent

      Reviewer Information:
      Name: Sarah Berry
      Age: 24
      Gender: Female
      Height: 6'0"
      Weight: 200 Pounds
      Email address: escalosobre@...
      City, State, Country: Wilmington, NC, U.S.A.
      Date: 30 July 2003

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for since 1996 mainly in the southwestern
      United States. I picked up rock climbing along the way, and have
      decided that traipsing across mountains is in my blood. I can't seem
      to get enough of it, whether hiking or climbing. Last year I spent 9
      days on the Wonderland Trail at Mt. Rainier, and this year I will
      spend 9 days on the High Sierra Loop in Yosemite National Park. I
      dream of more vacation days per year so I can go out on longer trips.
      I have spent countless nights in the Catalina Mountains, the Santa
      Ritas, the Tucson Mountains, and Saguaro National Park. I also have
      spent a fair amount of time in the Grand Canyon and Joshua Tree. I
      just moved to coastal North Carolina, and I can hardly wait to get
      into the Smokies and the Croatan!

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Eddie Bauer
      Year of Manufacture: unknown
      Listed weight: 5 lbs 8 oz (2.32kg)
      Pack weight: 6 lbs 2 oz (2.49kg)
      Dimensions: 88"L x 54"W x 38"H (center front height)
      MSRP: US$25.00

      I bought this tent from eBay because I was in need of a smaller
      lighter weight tent. It is no longer manufactured, so if you decide
      you would like one, they come up on eBay occasionally. The tent has
      the following features as advertised:
      • Polyester rain fly with 2000 mm coating for enhanced
      durability, dryness and strength
      • Exceptional UV resistance and color fastness
      • Full coverage weather-resistant rain fly with built-in
      vestibule and vents attaches to the tent with quick & easy side
      release buckles
      • Large arched door with inside zip window provides easy entry
      & exit as well as ventilation
      • "Clear view" window in vestibule of rain fly provides light
      on cloudy days
      • Rear mesh vent improves ventilation
      • Tub-type nylon floor with factory water-proof taped seams
      • "Drying hooks" are provided along the ridgeline of the tent
      for quick & easy drying before packing
      • Ultra-light aluminum alloy frame is shock-corded for quick
      assembly and easy set-up
      • Extra large stake loops are provided so skis, ski poles, ice
      axe, etc. can be used to stake-out the tent when used for winter
      camping
      • Convenient duffel bag to carry tent
      • Lightweight aluminum stakes
      • "Bat-wing" distributes pull of guy-out ropes over a larger
      area
      • Repair kit included
      In addition the tent has:
      • Two mesh pockets attached at front sides of the tent to store
      items while sleeping
      • Small loop at the front, center where the ceiling meets the
      door for a light
      • Clips used to attach poles to tent.

      One of the main reasons I bought this tent was because my 4 season, 3-
      4 person Northface tent was too heavy (8.2 lbs) for my Mt. Rainier
      trip. This tent had received good reviews from Backpacker Magazine,
      and seemed light at the advertised weight of 5.5lbs. When the tent
      arrived, I was able to set it up in 2.5 minutes. It had clear
      instructions, but they were not necessary with this freestanding
      tent. It is roomy on the inside, and definitely a two-person + gear
      tent. The vestibule is a good size, but the fly does not extend low
      enough in the front to keep the gear dry.

      As for weight, I was able to get the tent weight to 5lbs 2 oz with
      titanium stakes and the removal of some unnecessary pieces (extra
      webbing, etc.) A side door with two vestibules would have been nice
      for this tent instead of the front door, because of the short center
      height. Also, because it is long, it can be difficult to find
      accommodating back county campsites.

      I used this tent for 9 days (8 nights) on my trip to Mt. Rainier, and
      it saw many humid days, and one rain/hail storm. I camped in
      backcountry campgrounds most of the time, which were not large and
      not very level. However, twice I was at RV and tent campgrounds which
      had very level campsites. I seam sealed the tent before the trip, but
      the first time it rained on the tent, the front right corner of the
      tent seeped. I may have needed more seam sealer, but I think that the
      seam may not have been taped in that area/the tent pole pulled at the
      seam too much as well. It was raining hard enough for the tent to
      feel like it was a waterbed with the amount of water running
      underneath it and the ground cloth. It was nice to have bathtub
      floors at that point. The tent's fly did start to get waterlogged
      with the amount of precipitation, and so the ridgeline seam in the
      tent started to get wet. It did not leak though as I had used seam
      sealer and a coat of Campdry on the outside of the tent. The fly
      would have been better if it had an extra inch in the front to keep
      backsplash from rain from getting on the gear.

      The ventilation of the tent could be better. It has a full door in
      the front which has a storm door and a noseeum mesh door. The back of
      the tent has a small triangular window which is completely noseeum
      mesh, and does not have a cover. The fly has a small vent above the
      clear window that has no-see-um mesh in it. The mesh in this place
      seemed unnecessary because the vestibule is not impervious to creepy
      crawlies to begin with. When the fly was not on the tent, there was
      plenty of ventilation. However, with it on, it was not quite a sauna,
      but not at all fresh. My Northface tent has much better ventilation,
      and less mesh. The ventilation did improve some when another loop was
      added to the very back wall of the fly and staked out away from the
      back window.

      As for the claustrophobia factor, I did not think that this tent had
      enough headroom. I am 6'00'' tall and could not sit upright in this
      tent except in the very center at the front. My friend is only 5'00''
      tall and said it felt roomy though. The tent has plenty of room for
      two people and our gear to be very comfortable, and have extra wiggle
      room. The grayish white color of the tent makes it blend well with
      granite and it can be hard to find in the dark, but does not create
      an eyesore. The color and clear window on the fly makes the inside of
      the tent cheerful even when it was a bit dreary outside.

      for a mass produced tent, came with a warranty, and did not have any
      major structural issues.

      Things I like:
      1. Comparatively inexpensive
      2. Wiggle room
      3. Light color and window in fly make tent cheerful
      4. Bathtub floor
      5. Clip System for poles
      6. Free Standing

      Things I don't like:
      1. Heavy, Heavy, Heavy
      2. Poor ventilation with fly
      3. Short center height
    • Graham Blamey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
        Hi Sarah (again),

        Thanks for your Owner's Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
        it for
        a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report will be
        subject
        to an official edit within seven days. If you have not had a response
        from
        an Edit Moderator via the list within this timeframe, please let us
        know.
        These
        edits and comments, while not official, should be considered
        carefully, and
        if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review.
        Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will usually
        result in
        a better review, as well as making things easier for the official
        editor.
        Please put REVISED at the start of your re-post, if you take this
        route.

        If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the
        community! The
        editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get
        your
        first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Once
        these
        first two Owner Reviews have been approved you will be eligible to
        start
        applying for Tests.

        the
        list or contact us directly.

        Regards
        The Edit Moderator Team
        reviews and tests on the planet
      • aidanweatherill
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
          They do have a url (not linked off http://www.eddiebauer.com/ that i
          can see though)

          http://www.eddiebauer.com/about/license/camping_gear.asp

          no information about there stock however, they tell you to go to
          http://www.target.com/ for more (which is a retailer)

          AW
        • Emma Eyeball
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
            i really, really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i
            think this tent is no longer in production. Target cleared them out
            2 or so years ago and i haven't seen them since. i could be wrong,
            but i fear i am not.

            -ee

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "aidanweatherill"
            <aidanweatherill@y...> wrote:
            > They do have a url (not linked off http://www.eddiebauer.com/ that i
            > can see though)
            >
            > http://www.eddiebauer.com/about/license/camping_gear.asp
            >
            > no information about there stock however, they tell you to go to
            > http://www.target.com/ for more (which is a retailer)
            >

            > AW
          • escalosobre
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
              The tent was discontinued a couple of years ago. I purchased this one
              from eBay though, and I still see them come up occasionally there.

              Best,
              SCB

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball"
              <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
              > i really, really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i
              > think this tent is no longer in production. Target cleared them
              out
              > 2 or so years ago and i haven't seen them since. i could be wrong,
              > but i fear i am not.
              >
              > -ee
              >

              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "aidanweatherill"
              > <aidanweatherill@y...> wrote:
              > > They do have a url (not linked off http://www.eddiebauer.com/
              that i
              > > can see though)
              > >
              > > http://www.eddiebauer.com/about/license/camping_gear.asp
              > >
              > > no information about there stock however, they tell you to go to
              > > http://www.target.com/ for more (which is a retailer)
              > >

              > > AW
            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
                At 08:37 AM 01/08/2003, you wrote:
                >i really, really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i
                >think this tent is no longer in production. Target cleared them out
                >2 or so years ago and i haven't seen them since. i could be wrong,
                >but i fear i am not.

                It does not matter. The review is still acceptable, assuming it meets our
                normal criteria.

                Regards
                Sir Andrew

                reviews and tests on the planet