Application to Test: X-Trac OS Sandals

  • tyrerob
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      Please accept my application to test the X-Trac OS Sandals. I have
      read Chapter five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version
      1202 and agree to follow all requirements. I am an apprentice
      graduate of the BGT mentor program. I have read, signed and
      returned the tester agreement to Shane.

      Name: Cheri Tyre-Roberts
      Age: 42
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'7"(1.7m)
      Weight: 138 lbs (63kg)
      Email address: tyrerob at earthlink dot net
      Location: North Central Florida, USA
      Date: 7/1/2003

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking for over 20 years. The majority of my trips
      have been 3-6 day trips. I am section hiking the Appalachian Trail
      and will have completed the section through Georgia to North
      Carolina 64 this summer. My average pack weight is between 29(13kg)
      and 35(16kg)lbs. depending on if I have company or not. I backpack
      mostly in Florida, in extremely hot conditions such as the Florida
      Trail in July, or the North Carolina mountains. I also backpack with
      my dogs and young children, aged 8 & 10. I pack light but am not
      obsessed with it as I enjoy some of the "creature comforts". I have
      been called a true "tender foot" as all the boots that I have tried
      and hundreds of dollars spend on hiking boots, even custom fitted
      boots have resulted in my feet looking like raw meat. Last year
      after hiking out in socks and moccasins due to massive blisters I
      started hiking in sandals. I currently hike in Teva leather sandals.
      On trails that have rough terrain such as rocks I have tried
      changing into light running shoes but even they hurt my feet on the
      rough terrain such as the Appalachian Trail, so I have ended up
      doing all of my hiking in sandals.

      Field Information:

      The X-Trac OS Sandals will be tested in Florida along the Florida
      Trail on day trips as well as 2 night backpacking trips. During
      these trips the temperature range will average from 65 to 90 degrees
      Fahrenheit (18 to 32 degrees Celsius) at night with very high
      humidity. In addition to my normal Florida hiking fun I am also
      doing a long weekend trip to Cumberland Island National Seashore
      this fall the temperatures will be similar to those listed above but
      the terrain is much sandier in the dune and beach areas. I will also
      evaluate these sandals (if they come in time) on a 5 night trip in
      August on the Appalachian Trail from Dick's Creek Gap to Franklin
      North Carolina. The average temperatures will be 50 degrees
      Fahrenheit (10 degrees Celsius) at night and 75 degrees Fahrenheit
      (24 degrees Celsius) during the days. I do wear my hiking sandals to
      work (much to the displeasure of my boss) but most shoes hurt my
      feet and as a high school science teacher I decided that at least my
      feet would be comfortable during the day.

      Testing Plan:

      The first and most important test for any shoe to me is comfort and
      support. I plan to test the X-Trac OS Sandal for support while
      hiking in many different terrains and temperatures. Comfort will be
      measured by the following factors; Do I have blisters at the end of
      a 10 mile (16km) day? Once adjusted do the straps slip, stretch or
      somehow change during the hike? Are they easy to adjust over
      different thicknesses of socks? How do my arches and heels feel
      after many miles on rocks, mud and sand?
      The X-Trac will also be evaluated for their performance on wet
      ground for traction and grip while crossing wet rocks. I will also
      evaluate the X-Trac for clean up ability. After hiking are they
      easy to clean up? The EVA sock liner is removable, is it easily
      removed, cleaned and replaced? The X-Trac OS Sandals also come with
      bitespikes that are replaceable. By using these bitespikes is my
      traction on rocks improved?
      It will be fun hiking the X-Trac OS Sandals through their paces.

      If chosen for this test I wear a women's size 8 in most shoes, I do
      not wear orthotics.
      Foot measurements:
      Long heel to longest toe: 9.75 inches (25 cm)
      Ball of foot width: 4 inches (10cm)
      Heel width: 2.5 inches (7cm)

      Previously Written Reports:
      Owner Reviews:
      Thorlo hiking socks -Feb.2,2003
      Magellan SportTrak Pro GPS-Feb.6,2003

      Completed Tests:
      Ruff Wear Tea Tree and Oat Soap

      Currently Testing Other Items:

      LEKI Ultralite TiAirErgo Trekking Poles (Initial & Field report

      Wild Roses Catalina Rose Anorak (Initial & Field report filed)

      Granite Gear Ruff Rider Dog Packs (Initial & Field report filed)

      HSSC Fluid Hydration Pack (Initial report filed)
      Thank you for your consideration,
      Cheri Tyre-Roberts