TekTite Mini-Trek Flashlight Field Report

  • Paul Schilke
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 1:27 AM
      TekTite Mini-Trek Flashlight Field Report
      07/01/2003

      Product Information

      Tektite Industries Inc.
      www.tek-tite.com
      Mini-Trek LED Light
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: NA
      Verified weight: 2.8 oz (79 gm)
      MSRP: $34.95
      Manufacturer Dimensions 4 in (10 cm) x 1.5 in (3.8 cm)
      Actual Dimensions 4 in (10 cm) x 1.25 in (3.2 cm)

      Field Report

      I've used the Mini-Trek flashlight on numerous hikes and on a 10 day
      car camping trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

      After several hours of use, I still enjoy the fit of the Mini-Trek
      in my hand. It balances well. The light was handy on night hikes, in the
      car, around the camp site and on trips to the bathroom.

      The focused beam of the single LED light was surprisingly bright on
      the trail. This is the one place where the Mini-Trek really outshines other
      LED lights. A focused beam travels farther than others to illuminate
      creatures encountered on the trail.

      The Mini-Trek is a small, handy light. As with anything else of a
      similar size, the user must be careful not to misplace it. It would be nice
      if a brightly colored, inexpensive lanyard were included with this light.
      As it is there is the ability for the user to add his own. I will add my
      own for future use.

      The Mini-Trek has the ability to be attached to the bill of a hat.
      So far I've felt that doing so feels a little unbalanced and awkward. The
      light does stay in place though. My long term use report will test the
      Mini-Trek's endurance in this and other areas.

      So far, I've had no problem keeping track of the multiple pieces.
      But I haven't had to change the batteries yet nor have I had any other
      reason to disassemble the light. Other LED lights I've used consisted of
      two pieces.

      I've enjoyed the instant-on ability. That's my term for not fully
      unscrewing the LED housing and thus giving me the ability to turn the
      Mini-Trek on briefly simply by squeezing the housing against the body. This
      way the flashlight comes in handy for illuminating trail obstacles as
      twilight becomes night, when I enjoy hiking as long as I can using my night
      vision and the ambient light of dusk. So far I've been careful to fully
      unscrew the light when storing it, but I still foresee the possibility of
      accidental battery discharge.

      My idea that the Mini-Trek could be used as a wide area lantern has
      heretofore proved unfruitful. My first attempt resulted in momentary night
      blindness as the harsh LED rays were unleashed. Perhaps if I closed my eyes
      as I removed the bumper this would not happen. I'll try one more time and
      include the results in my long term report

      Summary

      I really like this solid piece of equipment. Again I wouldn't
      purchase it as backpacking light as much as I would purchase the Mini-Trek
      for car camping, boating or as an emergency light for the tool box and
      around the home. That's due to the weight of the flashlight, to the minor
      discomfort when worn on a hat bill, and to the fact that I can only use one
      hand (thus I prefer lights with comfortable head bands.)

      I'd like to see the manufacturer include an inexpensive brightly
      colored lanyard to help users keep track of the flashlight.

      My Likes
      1. Heft
      2. Durability
      3. Focused Beam
      4. Instant on capability

      My Dislikes
      1. Potential of accidental discharge
      2. Weight for backpacking uses
      3. Lack of a lanyard supplied by the manufacturer

      Personal Data

      Paul Schilke, 30, Male
      Paul AT qtm DOT net (primary)
      ElTorro AT BackPacker DOT com
      Berrien Springs, Michigan USA

      Backpacking Background

      I grew up on a farm and have been hiking for 25 years. In the past
      11 years, I've been on several multi-night backpack expeditions. In 2002, I
      hiked two thousand thirty miles of the Appalachian Trail (AT). Other outdoor
      activities within the last 20 years have included rock-climbing, mountain
      biking, cross-country skiing, ice fishing, cycling and canoeing on the Green
      River in Utah.

      My hiking style is lightweight but I carry the gear needed to be
      comfortable. With my last pack I had problems with loads over 35 lb (16 kg)
      and prefer a max pack weight of 30 lb (14 kg). Base pack weight hovers
      around 20 lb (9 kg) but is on a downward trend. On the AT, I carried only a
      poncho tarp that measured 8 x 3 feet (.91 x 2.43 m). Usually I slept in the
      shelters, but I did sleep under the tarp a couple of times (once during a
      brief sprinkle). For bug free conditions this summer, I'll be using a larger
      tarp for sure.

      Field Information

      The terrain of Southwest Michigan ranges from the sand dunes of
      coastal Lake Michigan to inland forests, meadows, marshes and bogs. The
      highest point in Michigan is Mount Arvon at 1,979 feet (603 meters) above
      sea level. The average elevation throughout the state is 900 feet (274
      meters), according to Netstate.com.

      Temperatures in Michigan range from an average low of 17°F (-8°C) to
      an average high of 81°F (27°C) in July. The highest temperature ever
      recorded was 104°F (40°C) and the lowest temperature ever recorded was -21°F
      (-29°C), according to the Midwest Regional Climate Center's website. We have
      quite a few lakes here in Michigan; summers are humid and sticky.

      Paul Schilke