Re: [BackpackGearTest] Women's Hiking Boots

  • Cora
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hey Mike,

      I hope you are having a super day.

      I normally don't wear women's hiking boots (I have
      large feet), but as my mountaineering boots were
      brusing my feet on long hikes, I looked for a new pair
      of hiking boots. After some searching, I ended up
      with a pair of "La Sportiva Storm Lady GTX" boots,
      more because I found them for an unheard of forty
      bucks than anything else.

      But, after my recent trip with them consisting of four
      days of snow step kicking, rock scrambling and general
      boot abuse with absolutely *no* break in time, I am
      sold on that pair. Since I've bought them, I have
      also heard that they have won various "offical" praise
      for fit from magazines who shall go unnamed. ;)

      Despite constant wet late season snow, rivers, dirt,
      rock, I ended up with dry feet, and not even a single
      hint of a blister, which was a first for any boot I
      have worn in my *life* (my feet are just not what boot
      designers have in mind). Other people I have met have
      the same rave reviews of the fit.

      They are pretty light -- fabric/leather weighing in at
      around 2.5 lbs for the pair. Not good for any heavy
      rock or crampon work, but I kicked steps for about
      three straight hours, and they held stiffness well.
      Unfortunately, they might be a bit pricey, but I have
      found them in various places at a discount since I
      have purchased my pair.

      If you want any more info, please, feel free to
      contact me.

      Cora

      P.S. Don't worry, they will be getting another
      beating over next weekend. Owner review will come
      eventually, I promise. :)

      --- Michael Wheiler <jmwlaw@...> wrote:
      > My 16 year old daughter has decided to join with her
      > church group on a 25 mile hike in about 1 month.
      > The route they will be taking is a fairly rigorous
      > one--up the Devil's Stair Case and into Alaska Basin
      > at the base of the Tetons. I have a great deal of
      > experience with men's gear but virtually none with
      > women's gear. She needs a good pair of boots that
      > we would like to purchase right away and start
      > breaking in. Any suggestions? I certainly don't
      > want to limit the comments to those of the female
      > gender but I also have come to respect the opinions
      > of many of our female members. Thanks for your
      > help.
      >
      > Mike

      > removed]

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Cory Lampert
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
        Hi Mike,

        As with any boot, fit is most important, so find a good person to fit whatever boot she decides to purchase.

        I have had great success with the Vasque line of products because they are able to accomodate different foot widths. I highly recommend the new Vasque Luna GTX boot which is basically an update of the old standard Vasque Clarion that is sort of an old stand by for traditional backpackers. The Luna is lighter weight and has a better designed shock absorbing system. I wore these boots for 2,500 miles plus on the PCt and I still have tons of use to get out of them.

        Vasque also gets high marks for extremely good customer service. (On my AT hike, they offered to replace my Vasque Clarions after the toe box wore through and I was getting blisters, even though it was not a defect in workmanship. I ended up buying a new pair because I was so impressed with the rep I spoke to from the trail.)

        Good luck with the search and I cannot emphasize enough that your daughter get something comfortable, large enough and that fits her volume, width, and unique size foot.

        Take care,

        Cory Lampert

        Michael Wheiler <jmwlaw@...> wrote:
        My 16 year old daughter has decided to join with her church group on a 25 mile hike in about 1 month. The route they will be taking is a fairly rigorous one--up the Devil's Stair Case and into Alaska Basin at the base of the Tetons. I have a great deal of experience with men's gear but virtually none with women's gear. She needs a good pair of boots that we would like to purchase right away and start breaking in. Any suggestions? I certainly don't want to limit the comments to those of the female gender but I also have come to respect the opinions of many of our female members. Thanks for your help.

        Mike

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Rebecca
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
          P.S. I forgot to mention that I have low-volume, narrow feet. I
          wear these boots in a normal width tho - so they are probably cut
          somewhat narrow.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca" <rebecca@b...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Mike,
          >
          > I have been very, *very* happy with my Raichle Spirit GTX boots.
          For normal
          > hiking I wear NB 804s, and for mountaineering I use LaSportiva
          Makalus. But
          > the Raichles can be used for either and have been my 'comfort
          boot' for
          > about 4 years now - the good old standby. They are a rugged,
          durable,
          > waterproof boot. Mine look terrible after hundreds of miles of
          abuse in the
          > snow, ice, desert, and mountains, but they still function
          extremely well and
          > are super comfy, even after multi-day long hikes. I should note
          that other
          > than the NBs, these are the most comfortable shoes I own. If I'm
          not sure
          > what conditions I'll encounter I always wear these boots since
          they are
          > compatible with my crampons and snowshoes, but aren't as big,
          heavy and
          > stiff as my La Sportivas.
          >
          > They are the 'generic' REI boot and are a lot cheaper than similar
          brand
          > name boots. I believe they make a cheaper non-GTX version as
          well. Here is
          > a link to the boot on REI's website:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/fpd5
          >
          > I don't know if this boot is too much for what you're looking for,
          but I
          > might as well get the word out. I tried writing an owner review of
          them a
          > while ago, but since boots are such a personal thing I found it to
          be a VERY
          > difficult reveiw to write, and gave up on it. Maybe later. ;)

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
            Rebecca,

            REI lists the weight as 3 pounds. Are they 3 pounds for the pair or
            for each boot?

            Rick

          • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
              Pair, I would think...don't have them with me at my desk to weigh them, but I
              don't think they are very heavy. But then again, my other tall boots are
              steel-plate mountaineering ones, so it's all relative... =)

              Quoting Risk <geoflyfisher@...>:

              > Rebecca,
              >
              > REI lists the weight as 3 pounds. Are they 3 pounds for the pair or
              > for each boot?
              >
              > Rick
              >
              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca" <rebecca@b...>
              > wrote:
              > > P.S. I forgot to mention that I have low-volume, narrow feet. I
              > > wear these boots in a normal width tho - so they are probably cut
              > > somewhat narrow.

            • dawnhark
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                Hi, Mike! This is just from my point of view, but there is no way I'd
                wear a pair of hiking boots on a trek unless they were boots that were
                WELL broken in and heavily tested on numerous day hikes. No way.

                That said, I'll personally never buy another pair of hiking boots, and
                I'm hiking more now than I ever have in my life. Get trail runners!!!

                I wear NB 805s because I have wide feet and a low arch and they work
                great for me, but there are plenty of other good brands out there for
                her to try on.

                Tell her to only buy something that fits and feels wonderful after
                walking around the store for a while--even that is obviously no
                guarantee, though.

                With most footwear, the ONLY thing that really matters is comfort.
                Everything else is secondary.

                My 2 cents.

                Dawn
              • Michael Wheiler
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Thank you Rebecca. The information is much appreciated.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                    Thanks a lot Cora. I'll check into these as well.

                    Mike

                    > I normally don't wear women's hiking boots (I have
                    > large feet), but as my mountaineering boots were
                    > brusing my feet on long hikes, I looked for a new pair
                    > of hiking boots. After some searching, I ended up
                    > with a pair of "La Sportiva Storm Lady GTX" boots,
                    > more because I found them for an unheard of forty
                    > bucks than anything else.
                  • Michael Wheiler
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                      Thanks Cory. I too am sold on the Vasque line of products but my wife is
                      not and wanted me to get some additional options. We'll have her check the
                      on the Luna at the local Vasque dealer.

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2003
                        Thanks for the input Dawn. I actually have some Scouts that have gone to
                        cross-trainer type shoes for hiking rather than hiking boots and seem to do
                        quite well. We will have her check out all options.

                        Mike