Re: [BackpackGearTest] This group

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
      At 09:26 AM 01/07/2003, you wrote:

      >Now the moderators are jumping down the throats of people trying to help
      >with editing. It is just plain nasty.

      As this comment refers to me personally ... only ONE moderator made a
      comment and it was me, not moderatorS as Shaun states, I am going to respond.

      As to your comments, I welcome your suggestions on how I could have better
      expressed my sentiments. You might also find it useful to read my more
      recent posting on the topic which I had hope clarified where I was coming
      from. Of-course more detailed reading of the archives would also be helpful.

      >Another thing I have noticed is the amount of unsolicited mail the
      >moderators send to other groups (ie spam). It would be great to find a
      >camping group that is not attacked with new test results all the time

      Again Shaun, please take a little bit of trouble to get your story right
      before accusing folks of spamming. Only one moderator is involved, me, not
      moderatorS as you state INCORRECTLY. As to your comments, I am more than
      happy to discuss them in an appropriate manner in the group or groups
      concerned. Why not take this particular discussion there? I am sure it is
      in a group where I have no moderator role so you should feel comfortable
      about expressing your views. As I have stated elsewhere when this issue
      has been brought up by DaveF (e.g., in aus.bushwalking) I am more than
      happy to withdraw from posting notices of gear test completions to specific
      groups if the group or moderator deems this appropriate.

      One last point, for everyone's clarification. In aus.bushwalking where this
      discussion has taken place, the group's view as expressed was in support of
      the postings. I don't know, Shaun, if you are a member there or not, but if
      you are, I don't recall you contributing to the discussion.

      Regards
      Andrew Priest

      reviews and tests on the planet

    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
        While this probably has nothing to do with anything, I'd like to
        make an observation for the record...

        We're all people here, and as people we all have different hopes,
        dreams, desires, and needs. We also sometimes wake up on the wrong
        side of the bed. (Of course, in Andrew's case, he wakes up on the
        wrong side of the planet... ;) )

        I've said it before, but you get out of BGT what you put into it -
        and that has nothing to do with gear.

        The Mods all put in a lot of work, most of it invisible, and much of
        it thankless. There is the somewhat accurate belief that being a
        Mod gives you certain perks. The best of these perks also has
        nothing to do with gear. The best of the perks for me is being
        involved in something that I believe to be very important to the
        backpacking community as a whole.

        So, while some people come here, don't get what they think they
        want, and then begin to bitch, those people are a very small
        minority. They probably need some kind of professional help in any
        case...

        What I have seen, however, and nobody else has seen, is the large
        amount of work that has gone into the new Survival Guide. I'm not
        talking about MY work, I'm talkin about Andy, Scott, Fuzzy, Roger,
        Risk, and one or two other people who have put in a lot of hours to
        help shape, mold, and edit it. Some of them have been willing to
        spend hours on the phone with me discussing it. It's long, hard,
        and thankless work - but it's work that needs to be done, and I, for
        one, am glad to have such capable people with positive attitudes to
        help out.

        While not everyone can help in that way, everyone can be the best
        tester that they can be. BGT is a rising tide that lifts all boats.

        Don't let a few pirates distract you.

        Shane
      • rcaffin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
          Shane Steinkamp wrote:

          > (Of course, in Andrew's case, he wakes up on the
          > wrong side of the planet... ;) )

          I can't resist... :-)

          Andrew may be on the wrong side of the continent, but from our
          collective perspective (love the aliteration) definitely the better
          side of the planet!

          (It's raining, and I am recovering from the flu, and have had to
          postpone a XC ski trip, and am bored...)

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
            Roger Caffin wrote:

            > I can't resist... :-)
            >
            > Andrew may be on the wrong side of the continent, but from our
            > collective perspective (love the aliteration) definitely the better
            > side of the planet!

            I can't resist either :)

            I used to have a cubicle mate from Oz. Whenever he pulled out a map,
            he put south at the top and then cursed why all us Yanks always
            printed the names of towns upside down on the map. He had a globe in
            his home... you guessed how it was mounted didn't you?

            Rick