APPLICATION to Test BITE X-TRAC OS Sandals - Fuzzy

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
      Gee, this is fun!

      Fuzzy
      **************************
      BITE X-TRAC OS APPLICATION

      Please accept my application to test the Bite X-Trac OS sandals. I
      have read Chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version
      1202, on 6/30/03 and will follow all requirements.

      Tester Bio:
      Name: Chuck Kime
      Nickname: Fuzzy
      Age: 37
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'8" (172 cm)
      Weight: 229 lb (104 kg)
      Shoe Size: 9EE / EEE (Wide) US
      Email address: ckime AT nelsononline DOT com
      City, State, Country: Norwood (Philadelphia suburb), PA, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:
      Found at end of application.

      Background applicable to this test:
      After many years of hiking in combat boots (part of the uniform, you
      know), I attempted lightweight hiking boots ($14.99 at Target) for a
      week of Scout summer camp last year. In less than 24 hours I
      switched to running shoes, and was very pleased with the light weight
      and breathability. I have spent my non-scout, non-work hours over
      the past two summers, and any other warm times, in a pair of cheap
      sandals. I really appreciate the ease of use and the airy feeling of
      the sandals, but I cannot wear my usual shoe inserts in them – I have
      worn SPENCO Full-length Arch Cushions in all of my shoes (except
      runners) since 1981.

      Field information:
      I intend to test the sandals on upcoming Boy Scout troop camping
      outings – we try to camp monthly – and for several days of hiking
      somewhere around Colorado Springs at the end of July. All of these
      outings will be taken with my 12-year-old son and will (with the
      exception of Colorado Springs) include a minimum of 2 nights of
      camping, with temperatures expected to be from lows around 25 to 30
      ºF (-4 to –1 ºC) to highs around 95 to 100 ºF (35 to 38 ºC).
      Elevations will range from sea level to approximately 2,000' (610 m)
      for a week of summer camp. I will also be spending a week in late
      July at Philmont Scout Ranch, elevation 6,500' - 12,441' (1,981 m -
      3,792 m).

      My main priorities with these sandals, and the items I expect to
      follow and report on, are as follows:
      · Adjustability/fit. I have a very wide foot. How often do
      they need adjustment?
      · Stability. Do they move around on my foot? If so, can they
      be adjusted to prevent motion?
      · Comfort. With and without socks.
      · Traction. I may have some rock scrambles in my future, and I
      would like to be confident of my footwear.
      · Wear/durability. How do they hold up under daily wear?
      · Cleanability. What methods work best?
      · How readily do they accept my insoles? Do they provide
      comfort without my insoles?
      · Do they improve my golf game? Hey, they can't make it any
      worse!

      Previously Written Reports:

      Owner Reviews:

      Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
      20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
      20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/7grc

      Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Folding/Victorinox%
      20Climber%20Swiss%20Army%20Knife/Owner%20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/7hu1

      Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Multi-tools/Leatherman%
      20PST%20II/Owner%20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/86vp

      Completed Tests:
      None at this time.

      Currently Testing Other Items:

      Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%
      20and%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/Chuck%20Kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/9rji

      Tektite Micra Lithium Survival Light
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Flashlights%20-%
      20LED/Tektite%20Micra%20Lithium/Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/c5l4

      AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set
      Selected and awaiting arrival.

      Backpacking Background:
      I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
      enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
      spent 17 years fine-tuning my packing methodology - by the time I
      separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
      respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
      Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
      to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002. We camp, monthly, in locations
      ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
      the Pocono Mts (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and in all
      seasons.
      Lightweight (and ultralightweight) sites have led me to seriously
      rethink my gear choices. I plan to start doing more
      hiking/backpacking on our monthly scout trips, taking along as many
      scouts as are willing, to a) get in shape (yeah, yeah, I know, round
      IS a shape), and b) determine what I really need to take along. I am
      relatively confident that I will be able to reduce my 3-season pack
      to 20 lb (9 kg), before food, fuel and water, by the time this season
      is over.

      Thank you for your consideration,
      Chuck Kime
      a.k.a. Fuzzy
    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
        Applications are almost as much fun as actually testing gear!! 8-)
        Fuzzy, we sure got it good, eh?? LOL

        Anyway – here we go!
        Please review and accept my application to test the X-Trac OS. I have
        read the Survival guide 1202 and in particular chapter 5 and agree to
        follow all guidelines within. I have also sent in my signed agreement.

        If accepted for this test, I would need a US size 9 since it doesn’t
        appear they have half sizes – unless they are made big in which case I’d
        need an 8 since I normally wear an 8.5. How do we find this out??

        Personal biographical information

        Name – Jodi Cornelius
        Age - 41
        Gender - Female
        Height - 5’3” (1.60m)
        Weight - 160 (73kg)
        Shoe Size – 8 ½ US Womens
        Email address – dojers@...
        Derrick City, PA 16727

        Backpacking background – I’ve hiked in Vasquez hiking boots forever.
        However, I love sandals and have many times considered buying some and
        hiking in them but didn’t know what to look for. If I am chosen for
        this test, I would most likely test them with socks. What I would be
        looking for in the sandal is the following:

        1 – Comfort – does the toe guard keep me from stubbing my toe
        frequently? Not necessarily stop it, but does it ease the chances of
        stubbing my toe. Also, does the toe guard help keep out gravel, stones,
        twigs, and all the other miscellaneous things you discover out on the
        trail. Is the support enough even with my ortho inserts? Do my inserts
        ride right in the sandal?

        2 – Durability – how well do they hold up after repeated hikings through
        creeks, streams, mud bogs?

        3 – Cleaning – how easily are they cleaned? If I rinse them in the
        creek during a trip, will they dry fairly quickly? Is a creek rinsing
        enough to keep the sandal decent? How does the material react with
        repeated dunkings?

        I would wear them on day hikes in the wooded area behind my house, and
        on some planned trips on the Morrison Trail, Brush Hollow/Mill Creek,
        Hickory Creek Wilderness, Minister Creek Trail, Buzzard Swamp, Tracy
        Ridge, Beaver Meadows, and Timberdoodle Flats to name a few. So they
        won’t be wasted by 1 or 2 hikes. The terrain for these hikes range from
        easy jaunts to moderately difficult up and downs which would allow me to
        test them in all kinds of conditions.

        Weather conditions: Summer, temps are up into the 70s (21 C) and 80s
        (27 C) with the occasional rainstorm. Would be able to test them in
        mud, rocky trails, and normal trail conditions (normal being a relative
        term, just not in THIS family <smile>)

        Thank you for considering me.

        Current Tests

        Adventure Medical kit .9 Ultralight –
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20
        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20&%20Safety/First%20Aid
        %20Kits/Adv%20Med%20Kits%20UL%20.9%20First%20Aid%20Kit/Jodi%20Cornelius/
        Initial%20Report/>
        &%20Safety/First%20Aid%20Kits/Adv%20Med%20Kits%20UL%20.9%20First%20Aid%2
        0Kit/Jodi%20Cornelius/Initial%20Report/

        Wild Roses Sedona Rose P-Tights –
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants/Wild%20Roses%20Se
        dona%20Rose%20P-Tights/Jodi%20Cornelius/Field%20Report/

        Deuter Futura 32 Daypack –
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%20an
        d%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/Jodi%20Cornelius/Field%20Report/

        Sawyer Insect Repellents –
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20
        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Health%20&%20Safety/Insect%20Re
        pellents/Sawyer%20Inscect%20Repellents/Jodi%20Cornelius/Initial%20Report
        />
        &%20Safety/Insect%20Repellents/Sawyer%20Inscect%20Repellents/Jodi%20Corn
        elius/Initial%20Report/

        I have two owner reviews posted.

        MSR Whisperlite
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/MSR%20Whisper
        lite%20Shakerjet/Owner%20Review%20by%20Jodi%20Cornelius/

        Freshette Feminine Urinary Director
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Feminine%20Hy
        giene/Freshette%204-2-P%20Female%20Urinary%20Director/Owner%20Review%20b
        y%20Jodi%20Cornelius/

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
          At 06:39 AM 01/07/2003, you wrote:
          >Applications are almost as much fun as actually testing gear!! 8-)
          >Fuzzy, we sure got it good, eh?? LOL

          Hi Jodi

          I maybe missing something here, but I think you have missed a critical part
          of the details requested by Stephanie in your application. You might like
          to revisit it.

          Cheers
          Andrew

          reviews and tests on the planet

        • J Cornelius
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
            Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooops - thanks for the heads up - I mentioned
            my orthos but didn't explain them! Thanks Andrew!
            Jodi who had a blonde moment AGAIN 8-)

            >Applications are almost as much fun as actually testing gear!! 8-)
            >Fuzzy, we sure got it good, eh?? LOL

            Hi Jodi

            I maybe missing something here, but I think you have missed a critical
            part
            of the details requested by Stephanie in your application. You might
            like
            to revisit it.

            Cheers
            Andrew

            reviews and tests on the planet

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            066005:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=124km4b11/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
            nattogyo?YH=3313099&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=134985253>