Re: FW: Why test cheap stuff?

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27, 2003
      Hey, Shane,

      First, if you listen closely, you will hear the applause in the background...

      Another point in applying for what seems to be undesireable, to the specific
      tester, gear is that he or she might just change his or her mind.

      Examples I can cite from personal experience:

      Travelmate (feminine urinary director)

      I looked at the design and immediately thought: "Invitation to
      infection/uncomfortable/awkward/not for me." Well, the word went out that the test might
      have to be cancelled due to lack of interest. Of course, that would
      discourage both Jerry and the manufacturers from chasing after gettting gear targeted
      to women. So, my hand went up, and I tested and reported on the "Travelmate."
      If you read my review, you will see I had several misconceptions that I
      dispelled for myself, and actually like this cheap "gadget." Yes, my time is worth
      more in dollars than the gear costs, but I gained a valuable experience.

      Second example: Pac-Flat Backpackers Grill.

      In a similar scenario, most of us who are looking to reduce pack weight saw
      it and thought, "HUH?"

      Same deal as above, Jerry made a plea before the membership informing us that
      the test might have to be cancelled. So, I put on my "thinking cap" and
      tried to imagine how I might be able to multi-use the grill and under what
      circumstances I might be willing to use/carry one. I applied, and that started an
      avalanche of similar apps. Months after the tests were posted, the inventor had
      another item that he wanted to quietly test, and, with Jerry's permission, he
      contacted two (I think only two) of the testers from the Pac Flat Grill test
      series. Now I have another nifty piece of gear that I tested and use still.
      I didn't even have to write any formal reports for this one. The other tester
      and I have done some recipe idea swapping, and occasionally hear from the
      inventor. I have hooked this inventor up with a small gear manufacturer who may
      still be in preproduction negotiations with him. Do I have personal
      satisfaction beyond the money that my time was worth for this one? You bet!!

      Thinking outside the moment!

      Rosaleen

      > From: "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@...>
      > Subject: FW: Why test cheap stuff?
      >
      > This was sent to me off list, but I decided to forward it here and just
      > remove the name of the sender because it's a good question and everyone
      > should hear the answer.
      >
      > If that person wishes to take it back off list to respond, I won't mind.
      >
      > >It seems incredibly stupid, or criminally insane, to
      > >think about writing an application and three reports in
      > >return for a 2 buck towel.
      >
      > >...I might still consider reviewing it as a lark, if
      > >the rules did not tie my hands to not test anything
      > >else for the rest of the summer.
      >
      > There are some tests, by their very nature, are 'undesireable'. The towel
      > test is, perhaps, one of them. Another is the insect repellent tests. The
      > first test I did was an insect repellent. For all the suffering I went
      > through, I am here to tell you that it was a process with a less than zero
      > return. On the other hand, I learned a lot. I learned more about insect
      > repelents than I ever wanted to know - but now I don't get bit nearly as
      > often, either.
      > (SNIP)

    • Paul Schilke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 28, 2003
        I'm excited to find out this towel is just two bucks! Where do I get one
        around here?

        I would have applied to test the towel but I'll be OOP for August and
        September - Hiking the NCT from Wisonsin to Grand Rapids, Michigan.

        Paul Schilke

      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 29, 2003
          > I'm excited to find out this towel is just two bucks!
          > Where do I get one around here?

          www.ultralighttowels.com

          Shane
        • dawnhark
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2003
            > www.ultralighttowels.com

            Tried to go there. Twice. Both times, my browser (Netscape 7)
            imploded. Before you blame my browser, this has never happend to it
            before! It just froze up.

            Dawn
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
              At 11:36 AM 01/07/2003, you wrote:

              > > www.ultralighttowels.com
              >

              >Tried to go there. Twice. Both times, my browser (Netscape 7)
              >imploded. Before you blame my browser, this has never happend to it
              >before! It just froze up.

              Hi Dawn

              It is a funny site. Working for me know and I am using Opera 7.11. Might
              be worth trying again.

              Andrew

              .
              reviews and tests on the planet