LONG TERM REPORT-NEOS Navigator 5 Overshoes

  • Jack Corrigan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26 6:21 AM
      Long Term Test Report: NEOS Navigator 5 OvershoeSubmitted for your review, winter testing conditions ceased after field test so nothing really new to report.

      Long Term Test Report
      Product Name:
      NEOS® Navigator 5 Overshoe

      Personal Biographical Information:

      Name: John (Jack) Corrigan
      Age: 39 years old
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 feet 10 inches (1.8 meters)
      Weight: 175 pounds (79 kilograms)
      Shoe Size: 9.5 US Men's
      Email: k9sar@...
      Region: New Berlinville, Pennsylvania (Southeastern Pennsylvania)
      Report Date: 26JUN2003
      Background:
      I have always been one to do the outdoor thing as compared to the organized sport thing. It started as a youngster in the Boy Scouts and continues today as an adult. The majority of my experience has been in Pennsylvania but I have hiked, camped or paddled in New York, California and even Alaska. I would classify myself as a mid-weight (primarily tent sleeper) trekker. I have cut weight where it has been practical for me, but I still like my gadgets close at hand.
      I am also currently a volunteer search and rescue canine handler. Although search and rescue doesn't always result in an overnight or multi-day trip, I am required to be prepared, equipped and trained for it. Training a search dog results in many hours of trekking through Penn's Woods.

      Product Information:

      Manufactured By: New England Overshoe Company (NEOS®)
      Manufactured Date: 2002
      Manufacturer URL: http://www.overshoe.com
      Listed Weight: 3 pounds 5 ounces (1.5 kilograms)
      Delivered Weight: 3 pounds 7 ounces (1.6 kilograms)
      Note: Item was weighed on a digital 0-25 pound postal scale.
      Additional Product Information:

      Size: Men's Large
      MSRP: $99.99 US Dollars
      Field Information:

      Winter testing conditions did in fact cease after the field report. Temperatures warmed and all that snow became a distant memory. No significant testing took place in addition to the conditions covered in the field report.
      Style:
      My "style" is best described as recreational camping, mid-weight backpacking (2-3 day treks), day hiking, flat water paddling and canine search and rescue activities. My treks are usually limited to 3-4 days in length. Although, my last extended (more than 1 week) outing was the summer of 2001, as a volunteer for the Armed Forces Eco-Challenge in interior Alaska. I also include two of my four dogs in most of my outdoor activities.
      Product Experience:
      Long term testing of the NEOS® Navigator 5 overshoes never really got going. Winter conditions faded quite rapidly. Wet conditions did continue but once temperature got up above 50° F (10° C), wearing the moon boot style winter overshoe seemed like overkill and I returned to hiking boots, gaiters and watching more carefully where I stepped!
      The NEOS® Navigator 5 overshoes provide and excellent alternative option for winter foot gear. The overshoes are easy to put on and take off, and provide good protection from both frozen and liquid water. It is a good feeling to come back to my vehicle and not have to drive with wet muddy shoes or to go through the hassle of changing shoes. Only suggestion I could come up with is if the NEOS® Navigator 5 overshoes had a camo color option, they just might make an excellent addition to the hunter's gear bag. I don't deer or elk hunt but it was a cool and damp turkey season this spring!

      Thanks for the chance to test another well made and functional gear item.

      TEAM JackQuest
      http://www.jackquest.com

    • Risk
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26 6:31 AM
        Hi Jack,

        I did catch one nit-noy:

        Last para:

        The NEOS® Navigator 5 overshoes provide and excellent alternative
        option for winter foot gear.

        change "and" to "an"

        Rick
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26 12:10 PM
          Hey Jack,

          Here's the edit. EDITs (necessary), Edit (suggested), and Nit (PITA
          comments -- none of those <grin>).

          Jim

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Corrigan"
          <k9sar@c...> wrote:

          > Name: John (Jack) Corrigan
          > Age: 39 years old
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 5 feet 10 inches (1.8 meters)
          > Weight: 175 pounds (79 kilograms)
          > Shoe Size: 9.5 US Men's

          #### Edit: Do you have a width measurement so the reader can tell if
          you've got wide, narrow, or normal feet? Also, what's the metric
          conversion for this?

          > Product Information:
          >
          > Manufactured By: New England Overshoe Company (NEOS®)
          > Manufactured Date: 2002
          > Manufacturer URL: http://www.overshoe.com
          > Listed Weight: 3 pounds 5 ounces (1.5 kilograms)
          > Delivered Weight: 3 pounds 7 ounces (1.6 kilograms)

          #### Edit: Is this per pair or per shoe?

          > Style:
          > My "style" is best described as recreational camping, mid-weight
          backpacking (2-3 day treks), day hiking, flat water paddling and
          canine search and rescue activities. My treks are usually limited to
          3-4 days in length. Although, my last extended (more than 1 week)
          outing was the summer of 2001, as a volunteer for the Armed Forces
          Eco-Challenge in interior Alaska. I also include two of my four dogs
          in most of my outdoor activities.

          #### Edit: As I noted in your GG RR FR, you might want to move this
          section up to be near your personal bio section & not leave it
          sandwiched between product information.

          > Product Experience:
          > Long term testing of the NEOS® Navigator 5 overshoes never
          really got going. Winter conditions faded quite rapidly. Wet
          conditions did continue but once temperature got up above 50° F (10°

          #### EDIT: Either "the temperature" or "temperatures"

          C), wearing the moon boot style winter overshoe seemed like
          overkill and I returned to hiking boots, gaiters and watching more
          carefully where I stepped!

          #### EDIT: Since the reviews are supposed to standalone, it would be
          helpful to recap your Field Report here since there's not much LT
          report here.

          > The NEOS® Navigator 5 overshoes provide and excellent

          ### EDIT: "an excellent"
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30 12:17 AM
            At 03:10 AM 27/06/2003, you wrote:

            >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Corrigan"
            ><k9sar@c...> wrote:
            >
            > > Name: John (Jack) Corrigan
            > > Age: 39 years old
            > > Gender: Male
            > > Height: 5 feet 10 inches (1.8 meters)
            > > Weight: 175 pounds (79 kilograms)
            > > Shoe Size: 9.5 US Men's
            >
            >#### Edit: Do you have a width measurement so the reader can tell if
            >you've got wide, narrow, or normal feet? Also, what's the metric
            >conversion for this?

            Oh no ... not this again :-) No metric equivalent ... reporting US size
            should be fine. As far as I know it, we have EURO sizes, UK sizes, NZ
            sizes, god knows what other sizes! :-)

            > > Product Information:
            > >
            > > Manufactured By: New England Overshoe Company (NEOS®)
            > > Manufactured Date: 2002
            > > Manufacturer URL: <http://www.overshoe.com>http://www.overshoe.com
            > > Listed Weight: 3 pounds 5 ounces (1.5 kilograms)
            > > Delivered Weight: 3 pounds 7 ounces (1.6 kilograms)
            >
            >#### Edit: Is this per pair or per shoe?

            Good point.

            Regards
            Andrew Priest
            Chief Edit Moderator

            reviews and tests on the planet

          • colonelcorn76
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30 8:22 AM
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <andrew@a...>
              wrote:
              > > > Shoe Size: 9.5 US Men's
              > >
              > >#### Edit: Do you have a width measurement so the reader can tell
              if
              > >you've got wide, narrow, or normal feet? Also, what's the metric
              > >conversion for this?
              >
              > Oh no ... not this again :-) No metric equivalent ... reporting
              US size
              > should be fine. As far as I know it, we have EURO sizes, UK sizes,
              NZ
              > sizes, god knows what other sizes! :-)

              Sheesh! As if metric/imperial wasn't enough. How many ways can you
              measure feet? Here in the States we're seeing lots more (most?)
              shoes coming in with US & UK sizes marked which is the only reason I
              thought of that as an edit.

              Shane -- If you're reading this, could you put a note in the new SOP
              that we don't need to include equivalents for shoe sizes? I noticed
              that there are some sandals/shoes in the possible upcoming gear
              testing list & that might help stop others from making my mistake.

              Jim
            • Shane
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2003
                > Shane -- If you're reading this, could you put a
                > note in the new SOP that we don't need to include
                > equivalents for shoe sizes?

                So noted.

                Shane