HikeNLite Stove 1st Report

  • Ben Toombs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2001
      I received a call from work today from my wife informing me that the stove had arrived by US mail. My already slow day seemed to grind to a halt.The clock seemed to stand still.

      Upon first inspection of the already opened package (my wife is not only my life partner she is my hiking partner) I found sales literature, instructions with warnings on the back & 4 business cards. The instructions & sales literature mirror their web page information so I won't go into great detail. I found the information adequate for assembling the stove.

      The stove itself resembles an old film tin with the friction force top. I was set back by the low number of flame holes in the lid ( 8 around the circumference & 1 in the center). The "pre-heat pad" looks like another top but larger in diameter & shallower. The pot stands clip around the stove assembly & resemble bent up clothes hangers.

      The advertised weight was dead on at 4 oz.

      I do not have time tonight to do a detailed test but I did fire it up a couple of times. Here are a couple of my raw observations:

      1)The instructions recommend 2 tablespoons on fuel in the pre-heat pad. I found this to be excessive. Less than 1 tablespoon is all that was needed to heat the stove.
      2) Pre-heat only took about 30 seconds not the 1-1 1/2 minutes.
      3) Flame spillage was excessive. This is wasted fuel & can be dangerous in high winds.

      I'll save my other observations for my second report. I plan to do extensive boil time comparisons to other stoves that I have available to me.