Wild Roses

  • GearTester
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 4 3:44 PM

      Some how ( I just can't imagine how) I managed to lose an email from someone on the list that had contacted Wild Roses and mentioned this list. I think I know who it was but could they please contact me off list....thanks.
      Jerry
    • Chief Moderator
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
        Wild Roses wants us to review their gear. I'm not qualified to select it.
        I'd like our women testers to look over the line and select 2 or 3 items
        you'd like to see us test and why. I'd like to get this done over the next
        few days. Outdoor Research is very interested in our program and will be
        testing a number of items through BGT.
        Jerry

        http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

      • Martin, Stephanie Yoong B
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
          For others looking for the manufacturer's link, they can be found at:
          http://www.wrgear.com

          c'mon jerry....you didn't want to select women's apparel for testing? :P

          I'll have a look and have my inputs in by the end of the day.

          -Steph

        • cmcrooker <cmcrooker@worldnet.att.net>
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
            BTW, Wild Roses is Outdoor Research's branch of clothing for women.
            I LOVE the Wild Roses sizing! Their XL/Extra Tall fits me
            perfectly. I'm 5'10" and 160 lb. I usually have to get men's pants
            and tops to get long enough sleeves and inseam. The price for me in
            wearing men's jackets and tops is that they are boxy on me and I
            have to carry the extra fabric I don't need. Not efficient for
            warmth either. Their sizing is based on an athletic build. The
            clothing gets longer but not necessarily wider as the sizes go up.
            Marge, you'd probably be a great candidate for their L or XL sizes.
            Got o www.orgear.com and click on Wild Roses. What I've seen of
            their clothing is well made.
            Jerry, if you've already covered all this and I missed it, my
            apologies.
            Going to the web site now to pick some gear candidates.
            Carol Crooker
            Transformation Coach

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"

          • leesa04048 <ljo@midmaine.com>
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator" <ChiefModerator@B...> wrote:
              > Wild Roses wants us to review their gear. I'm not qualified to select it.
              > I'd like our women testers to look over the line and select 2 or 3 items
              > you'd like to see us test and why. I'd like to get this done over the next
              > few days. Outdoor Research is very interested in our program and will be
              > testing a number of items through BGT.
              > Jerry

              WOW! We're supposed to limit it to 2-3? Yeesh, that's tough. I like almost everything but, what I would like to test:

              Lukla Rose Pants- I'd like to test becuase of our often cold and windy weather I always need to layer. OR advertises the pants windproofness, venting ability to wick away moisture, and comfort. Just what I need!

              Jumla Rose Jacket- I'd like to test this for similar reasons, while hiking, spring skiing, and other outdoor activities when the weather is cool, or changing while out. Besides, it really looks good and comfortable.

              Tortuga Rose Vest - I like the manueverability that the vest offers. Being able to fit this in my pack when not needed, and grabbing it when needed is a big plus. I tend to be warmer than average when outdoors, so this vest would be a great alternative to a full jacket.

              Power Dry Zip T- Looks good, would like to test how well it holds up to long term use. I like the idea of how much of a benefit the zippered neck provides.

              Don't beat me, that's 4- but I did narrow it down from 10! I have never purchased clothing for myself, specifically for backpacking. I tend to wear 'whatever'. I would really love to try some of these products out. I can imagine that they really increase comfort level. Leesa
            • Cory Lampert
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                Anyone got a link for the company? I did a search and it did not come up... Thanks!
                Chief Moderator <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:Wild Roses wants us to review their gear. I'm not qualified to select it.
                I'd like our women testers to look over the line and select 2 or 3 items
                you'd like to see us test and why. I'd like to get this done over the next
                few days. Outdoor Research is very interested in our program and will be
                testing a number of items through BGT.
                Jerry

                http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> : the

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                  What a great website Wild Roses has, and what a large and enticing
                  range of beautiful stuff! Very difficult to make these choices. Sizing
                  issues rule out a lot of their clothes for me, as I'm short and wide
                  and they gear their sizes, rightly so, to a more athletic body type. I
                  can probably wear some of their shorts and tights, though.

                  The PowerDry P-Tights are interesting, I would certainly like to test
                  those. The "P" refers to their line of tights and pants that allow a
                  woman to pee without pulling the pants down.

                  Luckily, Wild Roses also has some other gear that greatly interests me:

                  1. Radiant Rose Gloves--ooh, very very nice technical winter gloves.
                  Some reasons I like 'em: likely to fit my small hands; can be worn
                  with or without liners; warm; dry; grippy stuff (AlpenGrip); no
                  water-absorbing leather. Would like to try them with the PS UnderGloves.

                  2. Windbloc Ear Band, to keep my ears from freezing while allowing my
                  head to remain uncovered.

                  3. Caimen Rose Gaiters--again, an essential winter item sized for
                  women. Fairly lightweight at 6.2 (listed) ounces. Sharp-looking ;)

                  4. Lumina Rose Cap. The only caps I wear are ventilated like this one,
                  with mesh in the crown. Looks like something that would go with me
                  everywhere, year-round.

                  BTW, kudos to Wild Roses for listing weights!! What a great-looking
                  line; it's very exciting to be involved in testing for them. More
                  inspiration for the never-ending quest to lighten up my body along
                  with my pack, so I can fit into some of those cute Vaporizer and
                  AirLoom tops!

                  Dawn
                • R Hamel
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                    Hmmm, what is Wild Roses??? An American company or overseas? I'm thinking
                    it's not Canadian, since I've never heard of them. :)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                      Cripes, Jerry - 2 or 3 items only? *sigh*

                      Alright - since I have piles of Fleece and seem to collect rainwear, I'll stay away from those items...besides, I'm still waiting to get enough rain exposure to write ORs on my newly acquired Golite Reach (very nice, on sale at sierratradingpost for anyone who is interested - <6 oz for the women's medium if I remember correctly)

                      -Mesa Rose or Rio Rose Shirts: Hiking shirts with excellent breathability and wicking features are a staple of hiking and backpacking - these shirts, I think make for excellent layering and will be suited to a wide range of test conditions.

                      -Coyote Rose Shorts: Since I killed my favorite pair of hiking shorts (after several resurections courtesy of my sewing machine) I've been on the prowl for shorts that will take a beating, fit well and not restrict movement for hiking/backpacking and Canyoneering activities.

                      -Power Dry P-Tights: My goodness...tights you don't have to bare your bottom to go to the bathroom with? Pair em with the travelmate and we'd have a winning combination!

                      -Stephanie
                    • dawnhark <dawnhark@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Martin, Stephanie Yoong B"
                        <syoong@a...> wrote: Since I killed my favorite pair of hiking shorts
                        (after several resurections courtesy of my sewing machine) I've been
                        on the prowl for shorts that will take a beating, fit well and not
                        restrict movement

                        Hi STephani, I'm in the same boat, just ordered the Timberline Hiking
                        Shorts from LLBean...will let you know how I like 'em...

                        Dawn
                      • cmcrooker <cmcrooker@worldnet.att.net>
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                          I just spent the last half hour at the Wild Roses website trying to
                          narrow the choices down. I'm going to list 5 in order of preference
                          figuring that may give you more of an overlap between everyone who's
                          listed Wild Roses choices.

                          #1 Whidby Rose Pants (full side zip wind pants 6.2oz)
                          #2 Kiska Rose jacket (9.3 oz shelled fleece with zip pockets,
                          sounds kind of like a Marmot shelled dri-clime wind shirt)
                          #3 Sedona Rose P-tights (7 oz PS 50 tights with the "pee" zip)
                          Some type of P-tights would be GREAT to test! If not these, the
                          Wrangell Rose P-tight (10.3oz PS150) or the Power Dry P-tights that
                          Dawn mentioned (7.4 oz)
                          #4 Arroyo Rose zip-T (a 5oz wicking shirt. Comes in a light color,
                          would like to try it as a sun shirt as well as base layer)
                          The Zuni Rose Zip-T (PS50, 7oz) and Powerdry Zip-T (5.8 oz) looked
                          good too.
                          #5 Laguna Rose Tank (2.9oz wicking tank top, with a zip pocket!)
                          The Essentia Rose Tank (3.75 oz with some mesh) or Essentia Rose
                          long sleeved shirt (6.5 oz with mesh shoulders) as alternates.

                          Yeah, I know I cheated. Just trying to help!
                          Carol Crooker
                          Transformation Coach
                        • J Cornelius
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                            I would be interested in the Nahani Rose Shirt, the Chehalis Rose
                            Shorts, the San Juan Rose Jacket or Tortuga Rose vest (all sizes XL)

                            Any mix of the above would be nice 8-)
                            I am currently wearing men's clothing for backpacking and would LOVE the
                            opportunity to try some clothes designed for women

                            FWIW
                            Jodi Cornelius

                          • R Hamel
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003
                              Wow!!! All their stuff looks so great! It's so cute, yet FUNCTIONAL! I
                              love the idea of not dressing like a boy on the trail! I might have to do
                              a little online shopping spree when I have a little extra!

                              Here's what I like:

                              1. Just about everything on the site :)
                              2. Paiute Rose Pants and Pasayen Rose Parka- I still haven't been able to
                              find a jacket or pants that I just love that fit really well-these look
                              promising though!
                              3. Power Dry P-tights- how handy is that??!! I can't imagine how much that
                              would simplify peeing in the woods!
                              4. Any of the AirLoom products. They look like the epitome of cuteness and
                              function! :)

                            • magickfingers@netscape.net
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 25, 2003

                              • ckorhon@sph.emory.edu
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 26, 2003
                                  The Wild Roses reviews I'd like to read:

                                  1. P-system. I'm having a hard time picturing this working. They don't sell
                                  p-system underwear. I'd expect snagging issues.
                                  Possible items--Monashee Rose Pants, Sedona Rose P-tights, Wrangell Rose P-
                                  tights

                                  2. Vaporizer fabric. WR claims it "wicked way faster than any other fabric"
                                  Possible items--anything on the Vaporizer line: Roca Rose Top, Mesa Rose
                                  Shirt, Arroyo Rose Zip-T

                                  I'm looking forward to the reviews.

                                  Christine (still working on my 2nd owner's review)
                                • Rebecca <rebecca@backpackgeartest.org>
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 26, 2003
                                    Ooooh nice stuff! I've never seen their brand before. I cannot
                                    narrow down my list to anything specific, but I'll list three areas
                                    that would specifically interest me (although it all looks great):

                                    1. Power Dry layers
                                    2. Power Stretch layers (I've gotten into the power stretch clothing
                                    this winter - so comfy!)
                                    3. Soft shells

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 26, 2003
                                      Oops I should at least specify power stretch 50 - the base layer.

                                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca <rebecca@b...>"
                                      <rebecca@b...> wrote:
                                      > Ooooh nice stuff! I've never seen their brand before. I cannot
                                      > narrow down my list to anything specific, but I'll list three
                                      areas
                                      > that would specifically interest me (although it all looks great):
                                      >
                                      > 1. Power Dry layers
                                      > 2. Power Stretch layers (I've gotten into the power stretch
                                      clothing
                                      > this winter - so comfy!)
                                      > 3. Soft shells
                                      >

                                      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, ckorhon@s... wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > The Wild Roses reviews I'd like to read:
                                      > >
                                      > > 1. P-system. I'm having a hard time picturing this working.
                                      > They don't sell
                                      > > p-system underwear. I'd expect snagging issues.
                                      > > Possible items--Monashee Rose Pants, Sedona Rose P-tights,
                                      > Wrangell Rose P-
                                      > > tights
                                      > >
                                      > > 2. Vaporizer fabric. WR claims it "wicked way faster than any
                                      > other fabric"
                                      > > Possible items--anything on the Vaporizer line: Roca Rose Top,
                                      > Mesa Rose
                                      > > Shirt, Arroyo Rose Zip-T
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm looking forward to the reviews.
                                      > >
                                      > > Christine (still working on my 2nd owner's review)
                                    • Helen Hillberg
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 26, 2003
                                        Juneau Rose Jacket (High-Loft Insulation MicroLoft) - I would like an insulating layer that would be warmer than fleece but is not down - just for a little bit of extra insurance.

                                        Power Dry P Tights (Base Layers Power Dry) - I think women everywhere would like these - I know I would prefer not to be showing my bare and cold bottom, plus it is hard for us women to get those tight fitting things (no zipper) completely out of harm's way..

                                        Arroyo Rose Zip T (Adventure Vaporizer) - This just sounds like an ideal base layer, at least according to Wild Roses

                                        If they are willing - these are big-bucks pants
                                        Pyrenees Rose Pants (All-Weather Shells Gore-Tex) - These are a tad heavy but the P system and Gore-Tex finish sound ideal for snow travel.

                                        I can't count either, but aren't we always supposed to ask for more than we think we might get.

                                        Helen

                                      • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 26, 2003
                                          Only 2 or 3?!?

                                          Hmm. Lessee.

                                          Panther Rose Pants - Weight: 13.3 oz. / 376 g

                                          Rocky Rose Gaiters - Weight: 6.5 oz. / 185 g

                                          Sahale Rose Sombrero - Weight:2.7 oz. / 77 g
                                          OR the Sanibel Rose Sunhat - Weight: 3.4 oz. / 95 g

                                          I have some pants by Title 9 Sports (The Ultimate Pant -
                                          http://www.title9sports.com) that I adore. I wear them constantly.
                                          They're great for trails, but only so-so for bushwhacking. So I'd
                                          like compare them to the Panther Rose Pants, in addition to seeing how
                                          well the Panter Rose Panter perform in the So Cal brush. The Gaiters
                                          for a similar reason - plus my OR ones are dying. And I'm always
                                          looking for a hat that will fit my head!

                                          Sonjia