Re: Jag Bag -John's Third Review

  • cstarnes@nehp.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "John Brennan" <john@f...> wrote:
      > I washed my liner using ionic disks, rather than detergent, since I
      don't
      > have any mild detergent, and in cold water to boot, as directed.
      IF there's
      > poison oak oil on the liner, I'm pretty sure that the washing will
      not get
      > it out. I guess I'll find out when I next use it. I may do a test
      with
      > Tecnu.

      I'm not up to date on all the washing products out there. For
      delicate material all I know of is Woolite and hand washing. Please
      inlighten me as to what ionic disk are and also Tecnu.

      > As a side note, I avoided poison oak, but my hiking partner didn't.

      In my younger days I worked as a tree trimmer and my wife would get
      pison oak and ivy just handling my clothes to wash. She started
      making me do my own laundry. The only time I ever got a rash was once
      when clearing some pasture and burning the brush which had piosin oak
      in it I got a bad case (head to toe) I guess from the smoke?

      Coy Boy
    • John Brennan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2001
        These ionic laundry disks are a little strange, but for light,
        everyday washing, alternating wash loads between disks and laundry
        soap saves money and is lighter on the environment. For really dirty
        loads, I stick with the soap. These disks contain something, they
        look like irregular chunks of ceramic, that add or remove ions fr the
        water. Whatever they do, the reported result is that they reduce the
        surface tension in the water like soap does, allowing dirt to slip
        away. Since there's nothing to rinse, the regular rinse cycle serves
        as a second wash. Now, this is my understanding, but I'm not
        scientist, and it may be a case of "a little knowldege is a bad
        thing." They seem to clean my lightly soiled clothes, and that's what
        counts. I could be that if I didn't include either the disk or soap,
        that my clothes would get just as clean.

        Tecnu is a brand of soap designed to get poison oak oil off. I use it
        in laundry and in the shower. This weekend I'll use it on my hiking
        poles.

        Burning poison oak is a great way to get it.

        John B.

        --
        > > I washed my liner using ionic disks, rather than detergent, <snip>
        > >I may do a test with Tecnu.

        <snip> Please inlighten me as to what ionic disk are and also Tecnu.

        <snip> I guess from the smoke?