Jag Bag -John's Third Review

  • John Brennan
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
      Jag Bag Review
      John Brennan
      john@...
      Report 3 - 06/01/01
      Testing Silk Bag Liner from Jag Bag
      Style: Hi Tech in Violet Endura-weight silk

      I used the silk bag liner on a 3-day backpacking trip in the Ventana
      Wilderness (Big Sur, CA). The weather was really nice: clear and the days
      didn't get hotter than the low 80s. Saturday, sleeping on some sand with
      open skies at the edge of a meadow, we awoke to 40 degree temperatures.
      Sunday, sleeping on redwood duff under towering redwoods, we woke to 49
      degree temperatures. Both nights, I was in the Hi Tech liner with a North
      Face bag as a quilt, a full-length Ridgerest pad under me, and a tarp under
      the pad. Did not have any dew/condensation on the bag either morning.
      I liked sleeping with a silk liner more that a cotton liner. I'll never go
      back. Since it never really got cold, it was hard to judge the liner's
      impact on my overall warmth.
      Our trip was hellish in some ways. The hell as it relates to the bag test
      was poison oak and biting flying things. From our first steps to our last,
      we were assaulted with poison oak in, across, over, ahead, and around the
      trail. At one point, we were pushing through the trail in thick, chest-high
      poison oak, for quite a ways. I've got the technique to avoid getting
      poison oak down pretty well, but part of the technique is being justifiably
      paranoid about poison oak oil being on *everything*. I had camp clothes,
      but I'm still worried that somehow there's poison oak oil on my liner.
      I washed my liner using ionic disks, rather than detergent, since I don't
      have any mild detergent, and in cold water to boot, as directed. IF there's
      poison oak oil on the liner, I'm pretty sure that the washing will not get
      it out. I guess I'll find out when I next use it. I may do a test with
      Tecnu. The liner washed and dried wonderfully.
      The package says, "This silk liner will protect you from biting insects."
      Well, when it was in my pack it did not protect me from biting insects :-).
      Even when I was in the liner, I think I got several bites through it. If
      those mosquitoes, biting flies, and other unnamed nuisances were biting
      through my shirt, I would have had a lot more bites. Instead, I have just a
      few that could have happened when the bugs subsided after dark. I'm not
      certain about this. It's just a theory. It won't keep me from using the
      bag.
      I'm very happy with my new, lightweight silk bag liner.
      As a side note, I avoided poison oak, but my hiking partner didn't.
    • cstarnes@nehp.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
        --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "John Brennan" <john@f...> wrote:
        > I washed my liner using ionic disks, rather than detergent, since I
        don't
        > have any mild detergent, and in cold water to boot, as directed.
        IF there's
        > poison oak oil on the liner, I'm pretty sure that the washing will
        not get
        > it out. I guess I'll find out when I next use it. I may do a test
        with
        > Tecnu.

        I'm not up to date on all the washing products out there. For
        delicate material all I know of is Woolite and hand washing. Please
        inlighten me as to what ionic disk are and also Tecnu.

        > As a side note, I avoided poison oak, but my hiking partner didn't.

        In my younger days I worked as a tree trimmer and my wife would get
        pison oak and ivy just handling my clothes to wash. She started
        making me do my own laundry. The only time I ever got a rash was once
        when clearing some pasture and burning the brush which had piosin oak
        in it I got a bad case (head to toe) I guess from the smoke?

        Coy Boy
      • John Brennan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2001
          These ionic laundry disks are a little strange, but for light,
          everyday washing, alternating wash loads between disks and laundry
          soap saves money and is lighter on the environment. For really dirty
          loads, I stick with the soap. These disks contain something, they
          look like irregular chunks of ceramic, that add or remove ions fr the
          water. Whatever they do, the reported result is that they reduce the
          surface tension in the water like soap does, allowing dirt to slip
          away. Since there's nothing to rinse, the regular rinse cycle serves
          as a second wash. Now, this is my understanding, but I'm not
          scientist, and it may be a case of "a little knowldege is a bad
          thing." They seem to clean my lightly soiled clothes, and that's what
          counts. I could be that if I didn't include either the disk or soap,
          that my clothes would get just as clean.

          Tecnu is a brand of soap designed to get poison oak oil off. I use it
          in laundry and in the shower. This weekend I'll use it on my hiking
          poles.

          Burning poison oak is a great way to get it.

          John B.

          --
          > > I washed my liner using ionic disks, rather than detergent, <snip>
          > >I may do a test with Tecnu.

          <snip> Please inlighten me as to what ionic disk are and also Tecnu.

          <snip> I guess from the smoke?