Re:Last Chance Shorts & Sandal Hiking

  • mpaggiol@gcr.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      As of Wednesday Night, I have not received my shorts. Over the weekend I
      got to hike in the rain, through wet fir trees & through a rain/hail
      T-storm & the EMS synthetic pants with the zip-off legs worked real well.
      Wore them as pants on the flatter sections on the way in (about four 4
      miles) & as shorts the rest of the day, (six miles with a lot of elevation
      gain).

      Looks like I'll need to hike more in June in order to test the Last Chance
      Shorts once I receive them.

      I see more people out sandal hiking each year. First were some Austrians
      on Camel's Hump in VT in 1996. At first I thought they were nuts but
      compared to higher terrain they were used to hiking, this was easy. In
      1997 while dayhiking in ME on the AT I came across one guy wearing 5-10
      approach shoes & a couple where one of them wore sandals & the other a pair
      or real light dayhikers. Last year on a bbs I participate on, the topic
      came up & several people chimed in saying they are sandal hiking.

      I've worn mine on some flatter ground around water crossings & such but
      ankles & feet that have suffered multiple fractures without proper
      treatment (I thought they were just bad sprains) have me in heavier boots
      these days. Feet are beginning to feel good enough I may try dayhikers
      again though.

      Mike P.