Re: [BackpackGearTest] Farewell report

  • George Cole
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
      Hi, Rob:

      <SNIP>One other idea that I have which may enhance the bag pad-pocket idea
      was to laminate (using 3M spay adhesive or any other workable adhesive) a
      mylar space blanket onto a 1/4" closed cell pad and using that in the bag
      pocket. Possibly being able to alternate the degree of added warmth by
      inserting the pad - mylar side to the bag (for more warmth) or mylar side
      away from the
      bag (for less warmth)?<SNIP>

      Actually, the fabric that I'm having Dave Olsen use to construct the RAB
      pocket is a unique silver 1.1 silnylon that is quite reflective. I also
      used it for the custom fly I had ID make for me, with the shiny side down,
      in order to reflect heat back into the hammock from above. I didn't mention
      it in the report because Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics has run out of it and
      may not be able to get more. However, Dave stocks a 1.1 black silnylon that
      he has had laminated to the gold mylar space blanket material (probably runs
      about 1.5 to 1.7 ounces a square yd.) You could get some from him and maybe
      save yourself from what sounds like an onerous chore.

      <SNIP>Great report, and info. I too am sorry to see you leave the
      group.<SNIP>

      Thanks, but my job is so demanding right now that I have trouble even
      reading all the BPL posts. I only reported on the Hennessy because I really
      like it and had already done a lot of informal testing and experimentation
      with it.

      George

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000

        Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 4:14 PM
        Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Farewell report

        Actually, the fabric that I'm having Dave Olsen use to construct the RAB
        pocket is a unique silver 1.1 silnylon that is quite reflective.  I also
        used it for the custom fly I had ID make for me, with the shiny side down,
        in order to reflect heat back into the hammock from above.

        One of the flys that Tom sent me was made out of that material. I tried it the same way (upper reflector) and it didn't seem to make all that much difference.
        Jerry
      • George Cole
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2000
          <SNIP>One of the flys that Tom sent me was made out of that material. I
          tried it the same way (upper reflector) and it didn't seem to make all that
          much difference.<SNIP>

          Hi, Jerry:

          I tested the fabric for heat reflectivity using a Rube Goldberg lightbulb
          setup and it did fairly well when compared to space blanket material.
          Regular silnylon in a grey color didn't reflect much at all. I figured what
          the heck, when the lateral points of the 10' by 8' fly are tethered down at
          an acute angle it might give me several degrees of extra insulating value,
          although it hasn't been cold enough around here yet for me to give it a real
          test. The stuff does seem to work pretty well vis-a-vis metallized fabric
          when close to the skin, which is why I decided it wouldn't hurt to use it as
          the RAB pad pocket material, especially since it's a good bit lighter than
          metalized fabric.

          George

          FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2000
            I agree it ought to work. I suspect what happened to me was that it just wasn't cold enough for me to notice the difference. Just the fly itself, cinched down close, should help and the aluminum impregnated fly should have that little extra. I am beginning to believe that the whole space blanket thing is great for 50 - 60 degree "take the edge of the frozen butt" problem but is of limited benefit in cold below 40 degrees. I can't think of a reason in the world this would be true other than the  help provided by the reflector is so small it gets lost in the greater cold at those temps. I've been working in 20 - 30 degrees lately and it doesn't help enough to be noticed.....I'm either cold or I'm not. It will now be in the single digits in the mountains here and I'll have to go to the serious gear, no matter what. But it did snow it's ass off last night....=o). I'm like a big kid around snow. I use a gear sled so it won't make any difference.....I'll bring the metallized fly too next time and try it.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2000
              However, Dave stocks a 1.1 black silnylon that
              > he has had laminated to the gold mylar space blanket material
              (probably runs
              > about 1.5 to 1.7 ounces a square yd.)

              Thanks for the tip George,

              Would you have contact info for Dave handy?

              The material you mentioned sounds like a good idea, if I order a few
              yrds now, hopefully I can have it time for the cooler weather that is
              said to be heading my way.

              Gee I never imagined that Id be hoping for bitter cold weather.....
              LOL

              Again THANKS,

              Rob Stanley