Re: [BackpackGearTest] Mt Washington Pad Report #3

  • Ryan Jordan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2001
      > As a sleeping pad this night, I really noticed
      > the thinness of the pad. Sleeping on my side was fairly
      > uncomfortable.

      I have a general concern that a closed cell foam pad will not get a fair
      review if you attempt to assess its comfort on hard ground. If you are going
      to include this in your reviews, compare the comfort of the Mt Washington to
      a competing foam pad like a ridge rest, but not an inflatable like a
      thermarest. It must be recognized that a closed cell foam pad requires some
      degree of knowledge by the user in selection of a comfortable campsite that
      a user of an inflatable does not need in order to achieve comfort.

      > I froze my butt off
      > in the very early a.m. (most likely due to the cold temps and my use
      > of a 38F sleeping bag in 30 degree temps). I'm not sure if the pad
      > contributed to my coldness or not.

      Same deal. Focus on comparing warmth with other foam pads. More importantly,
      don't blame the cold on the pad unless you know darn well it's because of
      the pad (you handled this issue fine in your report). An R-value is not
      enough. We're working with nonideal heat transfer conditions here.

      I enjoyed your report.

      Ryan
    • Larry Hillberg
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2001
        Brad
        I notice that you found the pad cushy enough the first night but not the
        second. Gerry indicated in his report that the characteristics of his pad
        changed with use. Is your pad flattening out or was it solely the harder
        ground?
        Helen
      • bbaker@noochee.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2001
          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Ryan Jordan" <bigskyry@b...> wrote:

          > I have a general concern that a closed cell foam pad will not get a
          > fair review if you attempt to assess its comfort on hard ground. If
          > you are going to include this in your reviews, compare the comfort
          > of the Mt Washington to a competing foam pad like a ridge rest, but
          > not an inflatable like a thermarest.

          I did.

          "The pad actually felt less comfortable than my thermarests, my
          ridgerest, and my z-rest. "

          > It must be recognized that a
          > closed cell foam pad requires some degree of knowledge by the user
          > in selection of a comfortable campsite that a user of an inflatable
          > does not need in order to achieve comfort.

          Given that I've used both the Ridgerest and Z-rest in the past, I
          have a decent idea of how to choose a campsite for and what to expect
          out of a closed cell pad. Sometimes, there just isn't any good
          choice and an inflatable pad or a thicker closed-cell foam pad can
          make the difference between a night of sleep or a night of tossing
          and turning.

          > I enjoyed your report.

          Thanks,
          Brad
        • bbaker@noochee.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2001
            --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Larry Hillberg" <hhloth@n...> wrote:
            > Brad
            > I notice that you found the pad cushy enough the first night but
            > not the second. Gerry indicated in his report that the
            > characteristics of his pad changed with use. Is your pad
            > flattening out or was it solely the harder ground?

            I don't know (it doesn't appear flatter, but I guess it could be).
            I'd expect that the varying conditions would be more of a factor
            than the compression caused by one night's sleep. Its something
            I'll need to keep an eye on and report on in my 6 month report.

            Brad
          • Ryan Jordan
            Message 5 of 6 , May 30, 2001
              Brad, I didn't make this clear in my previous post, but I wasn't implying
              that you weren't giving a fair review. To the contrary, I think you did. I
              just wanted to emphasize to the testers these points, because the fact that
              you did indeed address them was worth noting to everyone.

              Again, good review.
              Ryan