Re: [BackpackGearTest] Hennesy Expedition Asym Initial Report by Marc Pfenning (long overdue)

  • Michael Wheiler
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2003

      Nice, succinct report. Although I may have missed some, given my generally
      poor spelling abilities, I was unable to find a single spelling error. I do
      have a few comments for your consideration:

      General comments:

      As I understand the Guide, you should include the following in your initial
      report: (1) the date you received the product; (2) whether the product
      you received was complete and undamaged; (3) a short statement indicating
      whether the product you received was what you were expecting after viewing
      the manufacturer's website; and (4) your strategy or plan for
      testing/reviewing the product. I didn't notice that those items were
      included in your report. If I just missed them, I apologize. If not,
      please add them.

      ***I am assuming that the spacing or lack thereof in some places in the
      report are Yahooisms. Please check this on the html version.

      > corresponding tie-outs. Entrance is gained through a velcro closure

      ***I'm not sure of the correct spelling on tie-outs but you have it
      hyphenated here and not later on in the report. It probably should be one
      way or the other. I did find tie-down as a hyphenated word in the
      dictionary if that helps.

      > slit in the hammock itself. You stand underneath the hammock, open the
      > slit, sit down in the hammock, pull your legs in then close the slit.
      > Your body weight serves to keep the velcro sealed tightly. You then
      > lie down diagonally for a surprisingly comfortable bed. The hammock
      > body itself is grey and the tarp is green, for a very subtle stealth
      > effect. There is an internal ridge line, from which are suspended two

      ***I don't think you need a comma after ridgeline (one word in the

      > clips and a mesh pocket. The clips are excellent for keeping your
      > shoes dry, and would also be ideal for hanging a small stuff sack. The
      > mesh pocket is divided into three sections, and is handy for keeping a
      > flashlight available, as well as glasses and other small necessities.

      ***I would suggest that you break the next section into several shorter
      paragraphs. It is good information but quite a long read as one paragraph.

      > Set Up : The stuff sack claims that the hammock sets up in three
      > minutes, and I imagine that with a little practice this would be
      > achievable. My first setup, from stuff sack to lying down inside, took
      > 10 minutes, but as I said that was my first attempt, learning how to
      > set it up as I went. Subsequent setups have been in the 5-6 minute
      > range. The hammock arrives with the tarp rolled separately in the
      > stuff sack. First you erect the hammock between two convenient trees
      > about 10-12' (3-4 m) apart. The hammock includes two nylon
      > webbing 'tree hugger' straps, which actually wrap around the tree, thus
      > protecting the tree from abrasion. Tom suggests a special knot, a
      > modified figure 8, for attaching the hammock to the webbing, and the
      > stuff sack has a (poor) description of how to tie the knot. Luckily, I
      > was already familiar with Shane's web site (theplacewithnoname.com)
      > which has a set of slides explaining the knot very thoroughly. After
      > stringing the hammock up, you attach the tieout lines to another tree,
      > a rock or a tent stake. Next the tarp is attached by means of two
      > plastic clips at each end, and the tarp tieouts get attached to the
      > same anchors as the hammock tieouts. That's all there is to it, now you
      > just climb inside and stretch out. The hammock tieouts use a fairly
      > substantial nylon line which is very easy to work with. The tarp
      > tieouts, on the other hand, use a very small nylon line which requires
      > a real effort to untie. I don't look forward to trying this with wet,
      > cold hands. I wonder how much weight would actually be added by using
      > the thicker lines that the hammock uses. I must admit that I was quite
      > concerned about how many black flies would get inside with me, but
      > after getting in and out of the hammock over a dozen times I have yet
      > to find a single bug inside, and I have set it up while being beseiged
      > by the little buggers. There is a certain very real satisfaction that
      > comes from lying inside the hammock and watching clouds of black flies
      > land on the netting and search for a way in. When I take the hammock
      > down I leave the tarp attached, and wrap it around the hammock, then
      > fold the entire unit so it fits very easily back into the stuff sack.
      > I have seen (again on Shane's web site) Tom's 'snake skins' which seem
      > to be a very practical accessory for packing the hammock. These are
      > two silnylon open-ended long skinny bags, one of which gets slid over
      > each end of the main support line. When taking the hammock down, you
      > just roll it tight and pull the 'snake skins' down so they overlap,
      > thus enveloping the entire hammock. I will order a set and include a
      > review of their usefulness in my later reports.
      > The day that my hammock arrived I set it up in my yard and immediately
      > went to sleep in it. I work 12 hour night shifts so do about half of

      ***night shifts, so I do about....

      > my sleeping during the day, and I'm happy to report that I enjoyed a
      > cool breeze that day while in the hammock. I know from experience that
      > trying to sleep in a tent on a day like that (temps in the upper 70s F,
      > mid 20s C) would have been a vey uncomfortable, hot affair. I have
      > slept in the hammock a total of four days/nights in my yard, and took
      > it on a day hike one morning after work, and set it up and slept for
      > about four hours very comfortably.

      ***Just a suggestion for a bit easier read, I would break the last sentence
      into two: e.g., I have slept in the hammock a total of four days/nights in
      my yard. I also took it on a day hike one morning....

      Otherwise, well done and thank you for not being responsible for us sending
      out the goon squad. I'm looking forward to your future reports.