LONG TERM REPORT-Brasslite Solo

  • Jack Corrigan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2003
      Long Term Report:Brasslite Solo

      Submitted for your review, the usual Yahoosim disclaimer should be noted:

      Long Term Report
      Product Name:
      Brasslite Alcohol Backpacking Stove (Solo Model)

      Personal Biographical Information:

      Name: John (Jack) Corrigan
      Age: 39 years old
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 feet 10 inches (1.8 meters)
      Weight: 175 pounds (79 kilograms)
      Torso: 20 inches (51 centimeters)
      Email: k9sar@... (Website: http://www.jackquest.com)
      Region: New Berlinville, Pennsylvania (Southeastern Pennsylvania)
      Report Date: 10JUN2003
      Background:
      I have always been one to do the outdoor thing as compared to the organized sport thing. It started as a youngster in the Boy Scouts and continues today as an adult. The majority of my experience has been in Pennsylvania but I have hiked, camped or paddled in New York, California and even Alaska. I would classify myself as a mid-weight (primarily tent sleeper) trekker. I have cut weight where it has been practical for me, but I still like my gadgets close at hand.
      I am also currently a volunteer search and rescue canine handler. Although search and rescue doesn't always result in an overnight or multi-day trip, I am required to be prepared, equipped and trained for it. Training a search dog results in many hours of trekking through Penn's Woods.

      Product Information:

      Manufactured By: Brasslite
      Manufactured Date: 2002
      Manufacturer URL: http://www.brasslite.com
      Listed Weight: 1.5 ounces (43 grams) with simmer ring
      Delivered Weight: 1.7 ounces (48 grams) with simmer ring
      (Weighed on a digital 0-25 pound postal scale)
      Additional Product Information:

      Overall Height: 2.5 inches (64 millimeters)
      Overall Diameter: 2 inches (51 millimeters)

      Field Information:

      Location(s):
      Long term testing was conducted in my usual stomping grounds in and around Eastern and Central Pennsylvania.
      Description of Location(s):
      The terrain was flat rolling grasslands, moderately forested mountain areas. The elevation ranges from 500 to 1000 feet (150-300 meters).
      Weather Conditions:
      Springtime temperatures have been somewhat on the cool side with several warm days tossed in for good measure. Long term testing did not take place below the coldest temperature of 18° F (-8° C), that was recorded during the field test period.
      Style:
      My "style" is best described as recreational camping, mid-weight backpacking (2-3 day treks), day hiking, flat water paddling and canine search and rescue activities. My treks are usually limited to 2-3 days in length. Although, my last extended (more than 1 week) outing was the summer of 2001, as a volunteer for the Armed Forces Eco-Challenge in interior Alaska. I also include two of my four dogs in most of my outdoor activities.
      Product Experience:
      Using the Brasslite Alcohol Backpacking Stove (Solo Model) is my first experience with an alcohol fuel stove. The Solo has not shown any material failure during the long term test period. Unclogging a couple of the jets with the straight pin has been the only maintenance. Denatured alcohol was the only fuel type that was used. I am happy to report that I did not lose any caps (regular or nozzle) or the thumbscrew. My heat reflector (tart pan) and windscreen (made from oven liner) have held up and the originals are still in use.
      I never really got used to the "silent and invisible" burn of an alcohol fueled stove. Seeing the flame and listening to the hiss of my white gas or canister stoves has always seemed part of the experience. But that is just me!

      The Brasslite Alcohol Backpacking Stove (Solo Model) during cold weather served as the "beverage" stove while the meal was prepared on another stove. The Solo also served as the primary stove for day trips. I even added it to my search and rescue pack. While playing "victim", searchers were always surprised when they found me sipping a mug of hot chocolate with no evidence of a fire! The 8 ounce (230 milliliter)fuel bottle was used for these day long outings where the 16 ounce (470 milliliter) bottle was used for overnighters. There were no problems encountered with either bottle. However, be sure to tighten the caps snug. I did have one leaky trip due to not tightening the cap enough to seal the bottle. Good thing I'm not a smoker!

      The Solo was used exclusively with a MSR Titan Kettle. Later in the test period I added the MSR Titan Cup. This resulted in a nifty little cookset weighing in at 9 ounces (255 grams). A bandana wrapped Solo and nozzle cap are stowed in the cup, and the cup nests in the kettle. The compact size and weight has resulted in this "cookset" being a year round gear list item.

      For a first time alcohol stove user, I found the Brasslite Alcohol Backpacking Stove (Solo Model) easy to use and it comes with great customer service and support. Thanks for another great testing opportunity.

      TEAM JackQuest
      http://www.jackquest.com

    • dawnhark
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2003
        PSYCH!! Ha ha ha, this isn't really an edit because I found nothing
        that required editing. Once again, Jack, you have proven yourself a
        pro in the gear-testing/report writing game. Thank you for your work!

        Okay, that's one Long-Term Solo finalized; on to the next.

        Dawn, your Monitor