Re: [BackpackGearTest] Farewell report

  • Robert Stanley
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
      >I'm having Dave Olsen sew a pad pocket on the bottom of my RAB Top
      > Bag. Depending on temperature, I will put a 1/4" or 3/8" closed cell pad
      in
      > the pocket (Thanks to Scott Henderson, I'm also going to experiment with
      > industrial strength metallized bubble wrap).

      George, I also was contemplating adding (with my trusty sewing machine) a
      pocket to the bottom of my Woods NorthernLite Bag to accommodate a pad
      (either a mylar/foam car sunshade, or a 1/4" closed cell foam pad) if I
      couldn't come up with a satisfactory method of altering/adding to the
      hammock.

      One other idea that I have which may enhance the bag pad-pocket idea was to
      laminate (using 3M spay adhesive or any other workable adhesive) a mylar
      space blanket onto a 1/4" closed cell pad and using that in the bag pocket.
      Possibly being able to alternate the degree of added warmth by inserting the
      pad - mylar side to the bag (for more warmth) or mylar side away from the
      bag (for less warmth)?

      Also your idea of using diluted silicone as a friction coating for the
      hammock is very good.
      If I remember, years ago when I bought my Thermorest, I found it to be very
      slippery between the nylon floor of my tent and my nylon bag, so I bought a
      spray coating called "Slip Fix" sold by Thermorest just for this problem and
      it worked well. I also used it on the handle of my graphite pool cue and it
      really worked well there too.
      This was quite a few years ago, so I'm not sure if that product is still on
      the market, but if it is, it may be an easier alternative to diluting and
      applying silicone.

      Great report, and info. I too am sorry to see you leave the group.

      Rob Stanley
    • George Cole
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000
        Hi, Rob:

        <SNIP>One other idea that I have which may enhance the bag pad-pocket idea
        was to laminate (using 3M spay adhesive or any other workable adhesive) a
        mylar space blanket onto a 1/4" closed cell pad and using that in the bag
        pocket. Possibly being able to alternate the degree of added warmth by
        inserting the pad - mylar side to the bag (for more warmth) or mylar side
        away from the
        bag (for less warmth)?<SNIP>

        Actually, the fabric that I'm having Dave Olsen use to construct the RAB
        pocket is a unique silver 1.1 silnylon that is quite reflective. I also
        used it for the custom fly I had ID make for me, with the shiny side down,
        in order to reflect heat back into the hammock from above. I didn't mention
        it in the report because Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics has run out of it and
        may not be able to get more. However, Dave stocks a 1.1 black silnylon that
        he has had laminated to the gold mylar space blanket material (probably runs
        about 1.5 to 1.7 ounces a square yd.) You could get some from him and maybe
        save yourself from what sounds like an onerous chore.

        <SNIP>Great report, and info. I too am sorry to see you leave the
        group.<SNIP>

        Thanks, but my job is so demanding right now that I have trouble even
        reading all the BPL posts. I only reported on the Hennessy because I really
        like it and had already done a lot of informal testing and experimentation
        with it.

        George

        FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
      • Gear Tester
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2000

          Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 4:14 PM
          Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Farewell report

          Actually, the fabric that I'm having Dave Olsen use to construct the RAB
          pocket is a unique silver 1.1 silnylon that is quite reflective.  I also
          used it for the custom fly I had ID make for me, with the shiny side down,
          in order to reflect heat back into the hammock from above.

          One of the flys that Tom sent me was made out of that material. I tried it the same way (upper reflector) and it didn't seem to make all that much difference.
          Jerry
        • George Cole
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 9, 2000
            <SNIP>One of the flys that Tom sent me was made out of that material. I
            tried it the same way (upper reflector) and it didn't seem to make all that
            much difference.<SNIP>

            Hi, Jerry:

            I tested the fabric for heat reflectivity using a Rube Goldberg lightbulb
            setup and it did fairly well when compared to space blanket material.
            Regular silnylon in a grey color didn't reflect much at all. I figured what
            the heck, when the lateral points of the 10' by 8' fly are tethered down at
            an acute angle it might give me several degrees of extra insulating value,
            although it hasn't been cold enough around here yet for me to give it a real
            test. The stuff does seem to work pretty well vis-a-vis metallized fabric
            when close to the skin, which is why I decided it wouldn't hurt to use it as
            the RAB pad pocket material, especially since it's a good bit lighter than
            metalized fabric.

            George

            FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
          • Jerry Goller
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2000
              I agree it ought to work. I suspect what happened to me was that it just wasn't cold enough for me to notice the difference. Just the fly itself, cinched down close, should help and the aluminum impregnated fly should have that little extra. I am beginning to believe that the whole space blanket thing is great for 50 - 60 degree "take the edge of the frozen butt" problem but is of limited benefit in cold below 40 degrees. I can't think of a reason in the world this would be true other than the  help provided by the reflector is so small it gets lost in the greater cold at those temps. I've been working in 20 - 30 degrees lately and it doesn't help enough to be noticed.....I'm either cold or I'm not. It will now be in the single digits in the mountains here and I'll have to go to the serious gear, no matter what. But it did snow it's ass off last night....=o). I'm like a big kid around snow. I use a gear sled so it won't make any difference.....I'll bring the metallized fly too next time and try it.
              Jerry

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2000
                However, Dave stocks a 1.1 black silnylon that
                > he has had laminated to the gold mylar space blanket material
                (probably runs
                > about 1.5 to 1.7 ounces a square yd.)

                Thanks for the tip George,

                Would you have contact info for Dave handy?

                The material you mentioned sounds like a good idea, if I order a few
                yrds now, hopefully I can have it time for the cooler weather that is
                said to be heading my way.

                Gee I never imagined that Id be hoping for bitter cold weather.....
                LOL

                Again THANKS,

                Rob Stanley