Re: [BackpackGearTest] Digest Number 264

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2001
      In a message dated 5/29/01 10:47:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

      From: cstarnes@...
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 263

      Coy Boy:

      Re:  Rain entering the Safari.  Can I say, "Yes?"  There was a puddle in the
      hammock when I first went to enter it.  I sponged it out and climbed in,
      watching the water drip.  The first I noticed was from the sides, by the
      "pullouts."  I adjusted the fly so that the sides were pulled out REALLY
      tightly, and re-angled.  That took care of the side rivulets.  (That was the
      basis of the "operator error" test and remedy.)  Climbing back in after
      re-drying, I found the ends were leaking.  The straps seem to form a ramp to
      direct in the water.  I don't know how much seam sealing will stop a
      "wicking" action, but I will eventually try that.  Meanwhile, I tied cotton
      strings around the straps and let the ends dangle, hoping to direct rain down
      before it enters the hammock.  I worked with the son of a coworker at my last
      Scout weekend.  He's interested in my hammock, so I'm lending him the
      original and the Safari while I'm out of town.  He's a big kid (about 6'3"
      and 30#), and he may as well see what fits before investing.  A little more
      input can't hurt.

      Rosaleen