Edit: Rob Patterson's IR: High Sierra Sports Company: Fluid Hydration Pack

  • tcoug7
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
      > Nice job Rob, but you are missing a few things from your report.
      Please include a biographical section on yourself, a description of
      the testing environment, the climate during the test and the
      condition of the pack upon arrival (as per Survival Guide
      requirements for an IR).

      Please add/modify and repost corrected report for another go-round.

      Thanks,

      Tim

      High Sierra Sports Company: Fluid Hydration Pack - Initial Report

      Product information:

      Manufacturer: High Sierra Sports Company

      Year of manufacture: 2003

      Website: www.highsierrasport.com

      Listed weight: not listed.

      Weight as tested: 2 pounds, 14 ounces (1.30 kg)

      Product Description:

      The bag I received was sky blue with black panels and harness, along
      with reflective piping that can be seen from most angles. It's a
      small bag in a teardrop shape maybe a foot high, about six inches
      deep, and about eight inches wide at the midpoint. At the bottom of
      the bag, there is a small compartment for a built in, but detachable
      rainfly which is large enough to cover a fully packed bag with a 100
      weight fleece bungeed to the back. On the back of the bag is some
      webbing that fits my fleeces (200 weight)

      ##Rob, I thought you wrote `feces' –lol. Anyway, I find it a little
      confusing on what you're trying to say. Is that top and bottom?

      and shells (3-ply Gore-Tex
      parka).

      #Is it only the parka? Then it should be `shell'. If you have gore-
      tex pants, then list them too.

      Behind this is a reasonably sized mesh pocket totally open to
      the air, and secured at the top with Velcro and spandex trim. The
      outer compartment seems to have a series of pen holders,

      #penholders

      a larger
      pocket for flat objects (ie. Notepad, letters),

      ##(i.e. notepad, letters)

      and what looks like a
      mesh, zippered sunglass holder. Also it has a clamshell opining,

      ##opening

      two
      zipper sliders, and enough space for most odds and ends. The larger
      compartment has a similar clamshell opening, two sliders, a large,
      flat, zippered mesh compartment, and a pocket for the hydration
      bladder with an exit for the hose at the top of the bag. As for the
      suspension, the backpanel is a piece of mesh, held taught by an metal

      ## a metal….

      frame (from the sides it looks something like a bow, or a drum).

      ## Can you expand here. I'm not picturing it.

      This
      means that very little of the pack will actually contact my back, and
      give some room for air to circulate.

      ##What will give some room for air to circulate? Please expand…

      The shoulder straps a minimally

      ##…straps are minimally…

      padded, wide, and have attachment points for the hose. Lastly the
      pack appears to have an padded,

      ##…to have a padded….

      weight caring hipbelt, but this is
      ineffective because the pack is too short to transfer weight to my
      hips (Depending where the pack is hanging it either fits around my
      stomach, or floating ribs), and the padded hipbelt has zero rigidity.
      This means that I will probably only use the hipbelt where I need the
      pack to move with me, since the sternum strap seems fine for holding
      the pack to my back. As for the water bladder, it appears to be made
      of a thick plastic, with a wide mouth Nalgene style opining

      ##opening

      to pour
      water in at the top. Also the bladder fits in the bladder sleeve on
      my Arc'teryx Bora 80 pack. The hose attaches to the bottom of the
      bladder, and is insulted

      ##…and is insulated…

      with Neoprene. The hose seems long enough,
      and has a twist and bite valve. I feel I should note here, that
      according to the letter that I received with the pack the bladder is
      sold separately form the pack.

      ##…separately from the pack.

      My take on the Bag:

      The bag is well made, and reasonably well designed. However just
      looking at it, it seams to be aimed more towards the fashion market
      then

      ##…market than…

      the really hardcore user. I'm saying this because High Sierra
      seems to have tossed as many bells and whistles on the pack as they
      can

      ##could instead of can.

      , without regard to weight. One examples

      ##example

      being that I question the
      real usefulness of pen holders on a hydration pack, or the real
      usefulness of the exterior pocket while mountain biking, or climbing.
      Also I personally find the suspension to be fine, but the shoulder
      straps may to be too thin to make carrying any real weight
      comfortable. I'll report on this later.

      Test Strategy:

      During the test of this pack, I plan to evaluate how well the
      hydration bladder, performs over a wide range of conditions.

      ## I think you should list some of the range of conditions so the
      reader knows where you're heading – IMO.

      This is
      in addition to testing its
      durability with regular use, and ease of cleaning. I plan to test the
      effectiveness, and comfort of the packs
      ##pack's

      suspension with a variety of loads, while biking, hiking, climbing,
      and if winter comes soon enough with cross-country skiing. Lastly I
      plan to evaluate the effectiveness of the packs

      ##pack's

      myriad features, as
      well as testing the packs

      ##pack's

      organization, and durability. This will all
      be tested through reasonable but likely rough, and regular use
      thought the test period.

      I want the thank BackpackGearTest and High Sierra Sports Company for
      the opportunity to test this hydration pack.
    • Tom Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
        one or two more little things...

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@a...> wrote:
        > > Nice job Rob, but you are missing a few things from your report.

        > As for the suspension, the backpanel is a piece of mesh, held
        taught by an metal

        > ## a metal….

        *** "taut"

        > weight caring hipbelt, but this is

        *** "carrying"

        > ineffective because the pack is too short to transfer weight to my
        > hips (Depending where the pack is hanging it either fits around my
        > stomach, or floating ribs), and the padded hipbelt has zero
        rigidity.
        > This means that I will probably only use the hipbelt where I need
        the
        > pack to move with me, since the sternum strap seems fine for
        holding
        > the pack to my back. As for the water bladder, it appears to be
        made
        > of a thick plastic, with a wide mouth Nalgene style opining

        *** "wide-mouth"

        Tom