Rattlesnakes in the High Sierra: Be Aware

  • dawnhark
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 12:02 PM
      I sent this offlist to some local folks, but couldn't find Stephanie
      or Rick's email, so I'm also posting here for them as well as for
      anyone, like Andy, who will be in the Sierra this year (too late for
      Carol, though--she's probably on the trail right now):

      Hi all, I'm sending this to everyone on my list who spends time
      outdoors in Tahoe and the surrounding areas.

      A climber at Lover's Leap (off Hwy 50, across from Horsetail Falls, at
      Strawberry) saw a large rattler on the trail, snoozing in the sun. He
      almost stepped on the critter.

      I've lived here for 36 years and have never seen one, though some
      wildlife guides do say they can be here at elevs of up to 8,000'.

      Just a heads up; now go outside and have fun!!!! The road to Lower
      Echo Lake is open as of yesterday, and the ice is almost gone.

      Dawn
    • Rebecca
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 12:14 PM
        You mean I drove all the way to the desert last weekend to see rattlers when
        I could have seen them in Tahoe? Geez... =)

        Thanks for the notice!

        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 1:26 PM
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...>
          wrote:
          > I sent this offlist to some local folks, but couldn't find Stephanie
          > or Rick's email, so I'm also posting here for them as well as for
          > anyone, like Andy, who will be in the Sierra this year (too late for
          > Carol, though--she's probably on the trail right now):

          Thanks Dawn,

          Last weekend we saw a rattlesnake near Hell Hole reservoiur. I'd
          never seen one before, but then I've only lived out here for a few
          years. We met a guy who'd just been on a long day-hike and he had
          seen three of em! He also commented on the more than usual amount of
          bear-sign that he'd seen. Guess we'd better watch our steps!

          stephanie
        • dawnhark
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "stephanie" <sswaim63@s...>
            wrote:

            He also commented on the more than usual amount of
            > bear-sign that he'd seen.

            Helen just wrote me and said the same thing. She saw the tracks of
            several bears, from cubs to adults, and including a REALLY BIG one,
            all in one place. That's a lot, and I'm hearing the same from others
            too. What I've seen in Tahoe is about normal for here so far.

            But that doesn't bother me, our bears are (generally) pussycats...or
            at least, they have never been a proplem for me personally. Having to
            look out for rattlers up here is new for me though, and I don't relish
            it. Plus cougar populations are rising fast--now THAT is a critter I
            hope I never tangle with!!!

            Dawn