OWNER REVIEW - Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp

  • Bob DeVore
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30 5:07 PM
      Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp

      Name: Bob DeVore
      Age: 51
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'6"
      Weight: 170
      Email address: bob@...
      City, State, Country: Aliso Viejo, CA, USA
      Date: May 30, 2003
      Backpacking Background: I began backpacking two years ago as an adult
      leader with my son's Boy Scout Troop. I enrolled in the High Adventure
      Training Classes offered by the local council of the BSA. This is a
      crash-course touching on all things backpacking, including the proper
      selection, use and upkeep of backpacking gear.
      In the past two years I have spent over fifty nights on the trail in the
      company of the scouts. I have enjoyed the beauty of the California
      mountains from the Angeles Crest to the San Jacinto's to the Southern
      Sierras. Future trips are planned for the High Sierra's, Philmont Scout
      Reservation and the Canyonlands.
      I'm beginning to replace my gear with lightweight alternatives that
      allow me to hike farther on the same old legs. I enjoy experimenting
      with ultralight gear and introducing this concept to the scouts and
      their parents.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Black Diamond
      Year of manufacture: 2001
      URL of manufacturer: http://www.BlackDiamondEquipment.com/

      Listed weight: 90 grams
      Weight as delivered: 90 grams (without batteries)
      Warranty: 3-year guarantee on materials and workmanship
      Bulb Type: 4 superbright LEDs
      Power Source: 3 AAA batteries (included)
      Battery Life: 70 hours
      Illumination distance with fresh batteries: 15 meters
      Effective illumination distance: 7-10 meters
      MSRP: $35.00

      Product Description
      The Moonlight Headlamp came packaged in a retail box that also included
      three AAA batteries and an instruction manual. The headlamp consists of
      a two-piece, black plastic housing attached to the front of an
      adjustable, elastic hat-strap. This housing contains the LEDs and the
      on/off switch. It is mounted on a pivot allowing the light beam to be
      directed up or down. There is a rubber gasket between the two halves of
      the LED housing to prevent water from getting inside. The soft elastic
      hat-strap is ¾ inches wide. It has two parts: a horizontal strap that
      encircles your head and a second strap that runs from the forehead
      across the top of your head to the battery compartment mounted at the
      back of the strap. Both straps provide speedy adjustment by means of a
      sliding buckle that allows the headlamp to be worn either on your bare
      head or over your hat.

      Field Information
      My son and I each own a Moonlight and we have used these on numerous
      backpacking trips over the past two years. Our troop goes on a weekend
      backpacking trip once a month with several extended trips of five to
      seven days' length during the summer. We have used these headlamps
      throughout the full range of three-season camping weather; in rain, wind
      and in nighttime temperatures from the high seventies down into the
      twenties.
      Initially we bought them only for night hiking as they left our hands
      free to use hiking poles. We often begin our trips on Friday nights and
      like to get in a few miles in the dark. The headlamp's beam lit the
      trail ahead adequately for a distance of about twenty feet. While we
      were able to hike on fire roads and wide flat trials using these
      headlamps I don't feel they provide enough light for a scout to safely
      hike a single-track at night in mountainous terrain. I tend to be overly
      cautious when leading a group of scouts through the forest at night.

      Comfort and Functionality
      After putting on the Moonlight for several minutes you're apt to forget
      you're wearing it because it is so light and comfortable. The two
      adjustable straps and pivoting lamp allow you to tailor-fit the lamp to
      your head. The four LEDs put out enough hands-free light to do just
      about anything around camp. I wear my headlamp at all times after dark,
      switching it on only when needed.

      Durability
      Eventually we stopped carrying our other flashlights on the backpacking
      trips. The Moonlight headlamps became our only source of light. This
      turned out to be a mistake when my son's light broke on one trip. He is,
      like most boys, rough on the world nearby, so I wasn't surprised when he
      showed me the broken plastic housing. I patched it together with duct
      tape for the remainder of the trip. Upon returning home I glued it back
      together and it is still working today. When my own light broke in the
      identical place, right at the screw-hole in the housing, I began to
      suspect this might be a weak point in the headlamp's design. I glued my
      headlamp back together using Superglue and I continue to use it,
      although I now carry a flashlight as well.

      Summary
      The Moonlight Headlamp is fittingly named. It puts out a wide, soft beam
      of white light that is ideal for close work at arms length. It can be
      used for limited night-hiking. You can conveniently adjust the beam's
      direction up or down. Because of its handiness and relatively low cost
      this headlamp has become standard issue in our troop. It is perfect for
      reading in the tent although I doubt any scouts have ever been caught
      doing that.
      By it's very nature and role as a backpacking essential the headlamp
      wants be carried in an outer pocket of your pack or somewhere you can
      get to quickly and easily. This puts the headlamp in a vulnerable place
      where damage can and, in my case, did occur.
      The advertised battery life of seventy hours was never confirmed. I did
      not keep track of the hours and minutes I had the headlamp turned on. I
      also changed to new batteries long before needed just to avoid having
      them go dead out on the trail. In all, this is a good headlamp for the
      price. Be sure to carry a backup light.
    • Tom Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Bob DeVore <bob@f...> wrote:
        > Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp
        >
        > Name: Bob DeVore
        > This housing contains the LEDs and the on/off switch. It is mounted
        on a pivot allowing the light beam to be directed up or down. There
        is a rubber gasket between the two halves of the LED housing to
        prevent water from getting inside.

        ***COMMENT: Don't think so. Can't find mine right now, but
        the "water resistance" of the Moonlight is by using components that
        don't really care about being immersed (in fresh, non-mineralized
        water). If you dunk it, there will be water inside the battery case -
        it just does not mess up the lamp. The LEDs in front are exposed,
        so they obviously are not enclosed. I don't think their is a rubber
        gasket, and if there is, it is not for waterproofness.

        Tom (who used to sit next to the designer of the Moonlight)
      • dawnhark
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones" <tom@j...> wrote:
          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Bob DeVore <bob@f...> wrote:
          > > Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp

          > is a rubber gasket between the two halves of the LED housing to
          > prevent water from getting inside.
          >
          > ***COMMENT: Don't think so.

          There is one, on mine anyway. Doesn't keep water out completely, just
          keeps most water out in most conditions. Bob, I did an immersion test
          on mine (Tom made me do it!!) and water did enter the housing, but it
          took some time, only a little got inside, and the lamp kept burning
          anyway. Opened it, let it air-dry, and it has been good as new ever
          since. Love that puppy!

          Tom: Hey, how's the new venture going? Whatcha makin'? Will we hear
          anything about it on BGT?

          Dawn
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
            At 08:07 AM 31/05/2003, you wrote:
            >Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp

            G'day

            Thanks Bob for your Owner's Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
            it for a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report will be
            subject to an official edit within seven days. If you have not had a
            response from an Edit Moderator via the list within this timeframe, please
            let me know directly at apriest@....

            You may receive edits or comments from other members of the group. These
            edits and comments, while not official, should be considered carefully, and
            if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review. Incorporating
            member edits and re-posting to the list will usually result in a better
            review, as well as making things easier for the official editor. Please put
            REPOST at the start of your re-post, if you take this route.

            If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
            editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your
            first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Once these
            first two Owner Reviews have been approved you will be eligible to start
            applying for Tests.

            If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask via the
            list or contact me directly.

            Regards
            Andrew Priest
            Chief Edit Moderator

            reviews and tests on the planet

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
              At 07:43 PM 03/06/2003, you wrote:

              >Andrew, I edited this yesterday but have not heard anything back from Bob.

              Hi James

              Have the OR ahead of this been edited? I only seem to be getting some
              emails from Yahoo!.

              Andrew

              reviews and tests on the planet