Re:e: Did I miss something? re: Brasslite Duo

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2003
      Aaron-

      A clarificaton, please? You are developing a baking system and may have already developed a simmer ring for the two newer models. Do you expect the Micro and Duo to work with these?

      TIA,

      Rosaleen

      From: "Aaron" <aaron@...>
      Subject: Re: Did I miss something? re: Brasslite Duo

      I may keep the Micro and Duo available as a low-cost, non-simmering
      alternative to the simmering Turbo stoves. They've been selling
      pretty well since they were discounted. I'm re-thinking whether or
      not to discontinue them.
      Aaron
      http://www.brasslite.com
    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2003
        The Turbos have a rotating sleeve that closes or opens the side
        ports, allowing or restricting air flow to the fuel inside the
        stove. Air flow regulation is what allows the Turbos to simmer so
        well.

        I don't want to talk too much about the TrailBaker yet because it's
        still being developed. But I can say that it will function only with
        the Turbo stoves because the flame stays small and puts out heat at
        a constant and predictable rate. The Micro and Duo don't have
        adjustable flames and a small flame is essential for the baking
        insert to work as a dry-heat system. It wouldn't be easy to use with
        any other stove (even a canister stove)because the flame can't be
        accurately regulated to a specific temperature each time the stove
        is lit. The only way I can see to use the insert with a canister
        stove would be to carry a baking thermometer on the trail(too heavy).
        -Aaron

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
        > Aaron-
        >
        > A clarificaton, please? You are developing a baking system and
        may have already developed a simmer ring for the two newer models.
        Do you expect the Micro and Duo to work with these?

        > TIA,
        >
        > Rosaleen
        >
        > From: "Aaron" <aaron@b...>
        > Subject: Re: Did I miss something? re: Brasslite Duo
        >
        > I may keep the Micro and Duo available as a low-cost, non-
        simmering
        > alternative to the simmering Turbo stoves. They've been selling
        > pretty well since they were discounted. I'm re-thinking whether
        or
        > not to discontinue them.
        > Aaron
        > http://www.brasslite.com
      • J Cornelius
        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2003
          AH HA!!! I see how you are - draw us in with the nice micro and BAM!
          create a Trailbaker that only works with the Turbo so NOW I gotta buy a
          Turbo (which REALLY breaks my heart as you can probably imagine) when
          the Trailbaker is done (since I'm "pleased" with my current micro, I'll
          wait - unless my dad falls in love with the micro and wants one in which
          case he can have MINE for Father's Day and I'll buy a Turbo!!!)

          Jodi who loves it when a well planned lay---er I mean a well laid plan
          comes to rest!

          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2003
            If I could make the Micro and Duo work with the Bakepacker, I would.

            FYI, I hope that I will have my first shipment of Turbo stoves from
            my asian subcontractor by the end of June, and after that I'll be
            reducing prices on the Turbo stoves since I won't be making them
            myself. This is the same thing that was done with the Micro and Duo
            stoves. I believe in fair profit and fair business practice. I'm not
            sure how much they'll go down, we're still negotiating prices. It
            certainly won't be as low as the Micro and Duo are now. That was due
            to a production error. I'm trying to convince them to keep them at a
            lower price so I can continue to market them at the current prices.
            The Turbos take a lot longer to make, so they'll never be as low as
            the Micro and Duo are now.
            -Aaron

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
            wrote:
            > AH HA!!! I see how you are - draw us in with the nice micro and
            BAM!
            > create a Trailbaker that only works with the Turbo so NOW I gotta
            buy a
            > Turbo (which REALLY breaks my heart as you can probably imagine)
            when
            > the Trailbaker is done (since I'm "pleased" with my current micro,
            I'll
            > wait - unless my dad falls in love with the micro and wants one in
            which
            > case he can have MINE for Father's Day and I'll buy a Turbo!!!)
            >
            > Jodi who loves it when a well planned lay---er I mean a well laid
            plan
            > comes to rest!

            Brasslite Duo

            > The Turbos have a rotating sleeve that closes or opens the side
            > ports, allowing or restricting air flow to the fuel inside the
            > stove. Air flow regulation is what allows the Turbos to simmer so
            > well.
            >
            > I don't want to talk too much about the TrailBaker yet because
            it's
            > still being developed. But I can say that it will function only
            with
            > the Turbo stoves because the flame stays small and puts out heat
            at
            > a constant and predictable rate. The Micro and Duo don't have
            > adjustable flames and a small flame is essential for the baking
            > insert to work as a dry-heat system. It wouldn't be easy to use
            with
            > any other stove (even a canister stove)because the flame can't be
            > accurately regulated to a specific temperature each time the stove
            > is lit. The only way I can see to use the insert with a canister
            > stove would be to carry a baking thermometer on the trail(too
            heavy).
            > -Aaron

          • J Cornelius
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2003
              Well, my husband did it. Opened his mouth and made a comment to the
              president of Zippo and now we have a new Zippo in the making. Turns out
              when he was working around Mr. Booth (the president) they got to talking
              about the new Zippo lighter "A Zippo only longer" which is called the
              Zippo MPL - Multi Purpose Lighter. My husband said, you know, my wife
              is into backpacking and that lighter would be really great if it was
              lighter. Well, guess what he heard on the radio the other day? Zippo
              will be coming out with a new lighter made for Hikers! Dunno anything
              about the testing mode of their new lighters but it may be something to
              look into.

              Jodi

            • Chief Moderator
              Message 6 of 11 , May 31, 2003
                Ask hubby if he'll mention us to Pres as a great way to introduce the
                item and field test it with real live backpacker......lol. If he gets
                the contact, I'll be happy to follow up.
                Jerry

                <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
                the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                Well, my husband did it. Opened his mouth and made a comment to the
                president of Zippo and now we have a new Zippo in the making. Turns out
                when he was working around Mr. Booth (the president) they got to talking
                about the new Zippo lighter "A Zippo only longer" which is called the
                Zippo MPL - Multi Purpose Lighter. My husband said, you know, my wife
                is into backpacking and that lighter would be really great if it was
                lighter. Well, guess what he heard on the radio the other day? Zippo
                will be coming out with a new lighter made for Hikers! Dunno anything
                about the testing mode of their new lighters but it may be something to
                look into.

                Jodi

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                066005:HM/A=1482387/R=0/SIG=16nb6ub3a/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xL
                mRhd=1054417451%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066
                005:HM/A=1482387/R=1=1054417451%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egr
                oupweb/S=1705066005:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=893943532>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Andy Mytys
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
                  What BPers need in a lighter is also a flame that you can direct
                  downwards without burning your hand.

                  I use a lighter that's designed to light pipes.

                  The one I have is a pushbutton, butane, forced flame deal. It's
                  really cool, not unlike the flame technology that's being set up for
                  the next generation of MSR stoves.

                  I can turn it on and rotate the flame in any direction. It stays
                  straight. A little on the heavy side at 1.5 oz (2x your normal BIC
                  weight) but it is a really cool toy (certainly cooler than plain old
                  matches :)

                  I got it for all of $3 after haggling the local tobacconist (yeah
                  right... young Chaldean kid given business, BMW, and whatever else
                  he wanted by daddy).

                  Daddy... Jimmy says I'm prejudice... what's prejudice mean???

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Chief Moderator"

                • barrywohl
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
                    not unlike the flame technology that's being set up for
                    > the next generation of MSR stoves.

                    Are you talking about the Simmerlite and the Windpro or something
                    else?

                    I used a Svea 123 from 1969 to 1985, a Whisperlite from 1985 to 1999
                    and a Primus Ti cannister stove since 2000; but I'm thinking about
                    switching to a Windpro or Simmerlite to get better high wind
                    performance, or even back to my 17 year old Whisperlite.
                  • redbike64
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
                      Good deal! Did he happen to mention that their regular lighters never
                      work above 10,000 feet? ;-)

                      --Rick

                      wrote:
                      > Well, my husband did it. Opened his mouth and made a comment to the
                      > president of Zippo and now we have a new Zippo in the making.
                      Turns out
                      > when he was working around Mr. Booth (the president) they got to
                      talking
                      > about the new Zippo lighter "A Zippo only longer" which is called
                      the
                      > Zippo MPL - Multi Purpose Lighter. My husband said, you know, my
                      wife
                      > is into backpacking and that lighter would be really great if it was
                      > lighter. Well, guess what he heard on the radio the other day?
                      Zippo
                      > will be coming out with a new lighter made for Hikers! Dunno
                      anything
                      > about the testing mode of their new lighters but it may be
                      something to
                      > look into.
                      >
                      > Jodi

                    • J Cornelius
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
                        No but he can!! 8-)

                        wrote:
                        > Well, my husband did it. Opened his mouth and made a comment to the
                        > president of Zippo and now we have a new Zippo in the making.
                        Turns out
                        > when he was working around Mr. Booth (the president) they got to
                        talking
                        > about the new Zippo lighter "A Zippo only longer" which is called
                        the
                        > Zippo MPL - Multi Purpose Lighter. My husband said, you know, my
                        wife
                        > is into backpacking and that lighter would be really great if it was
                        > lighter. Well, guess what he heard on the radio the other day?
                        Zippo
                        > will be coming out with a new lighter made for Hikers! Dunno
                        anything
                        > about the testing mode of their new lighters but it may be
                        something to
                        > look into.
                        >
                        > Jodi

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                        066005:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq
                        so=60164784&partid=3170658>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                        pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=697611211>

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "barrywohl" <barry@n...>
                          wrote:
                          > not unlike the flame technology that's being set up for
                          > > the next generation of MSR stoves.
                          > >

                          > Are you talking about the Simmerlite and the Windpro or something
                          > else?
                          >
                          > I used a Svea 123 from 1969 to 1985, a Whisperlite from 1985 to
                          1999
                          > and a Primus Ti cannister stove since 2000; but I'm thinking about
                          > switching to a Windpro or Simmerlite to get better high wind
                          > performance, or even back to my 17 year old Whisperlite.

                          No - there was a link to a video a while back that showed what the
                          flame will look like in upcoming MSR stoves. The company wasn't MSR,
                          but someone enquired about buying the technology and the response was
                          that it was already "spoken for" by MSR... or something like that.

                          Don't remember the details, or the link. It's in the archives over
                          in BPL.

                          It was WAY COOL though.