MONITOR REPORT Adventure Medicine Ultralight .9 First Aid Kit

  • dawnhark
    Message 1 of 16 , May 28, 2003
      All in-pocket testers have posted and edited their Initial Reports.
      The OOP tester will do the same when he returns from his adventures.

      Bill Baldwin, Jodi Cornelius, and Mike Wheiler have all uploaded their
      completed reports. Great job, thank you!

      Tim: I looked at your report again in the test folder, and there is
      still a problem with the font. Above the table it is small and black
      except for the headers (good), but below the table, for the remainder
      of the report it is large and blue (not good unless you intend it to
      look that way). Please take a look, see what you think, and when
      you're ready, upload it to the Adventure Medicine folder. Thank you!

      Have fun with these tests!

      Dawn, your Monitor
    • tcoug7
      Message 2 of 16 , May 29, 2003
        > Tim: I looked at your report again in the test folder, and there is
        > still a problem with the font. Above the table it is small and black
        > except for the headers (good), but below the table, for the
        remainder
        > of the report it is large and blue ...

        I don't see what Dawn is describing. Can someone please take look at
        my IR in the Test Level 1 folder and tell me if you see what she is
        describing. I would greatly appreciate it.

        Thanks...Tim
      • Alex Tweedly
        Message 3 of 16 , May 29, 2003
          At 12:01 29/05/2003 +0000, tcoug7 wrote:
          >I don't see what Dawn is describing. Can someone please take look at
          >my IR in the Test Level 1 folder and tell me if you see what she is
          >describing. I would greatly appreciate it.

          Yeah, I'm afraid there is some kind of problem ... something is browser
          dependent.

          IE (5.5) - looks fine.

          The text before the table is in the form
          BLUE TEXT : black value
          The text within the table (headers and cells) is all black.
          Text after the table is Blue for headers (General Impressions, Out of the
          box, etc.) and small, black for the body of the paragraphs.

          Opera (v7) looks OK
          The text before the table is in the form
          BLUE TEXT : black value
          The text within the table (headers and cells) is all ***blue*** - note
          different from IE
          Text after the table is Blue for headers (General Impressions, Out of the
          box, etc.) and small, black for the body of the paragraphs.

          MOZILLA 1.3b - the problem as Dawn described it

          The text before the table is in the form
          BLUE TEXT : black value
          The text within the table (headers and cells) is all black.
          Text after the table is ***all*** Blue.
          Also - the headers (General Impressions, Out of the box, etc.) are *small*
          text (not large), while the text within the paragraphs is large (as well as
          being blue).

          I'll have a look at the HTML and see if I can spot anything - but that may
          take me some time, so I wanted to let you know there is an issue without
          that wait.

          -- Alex.
        • Derek Jones
          Message 4 of 16 , May 29, 2003
            Don't take this the wrong way, but uuuugggh...what program are you using to
            create this? The code is not only terribly invalid, but you got TONS of
            unused and redundant tags and tag sets.

            The font tags after "General Impressions" are using navy as the color, and a
            font size of "4", which is much larger than any of the rest of your body
            text.

            Good luck!
            -Derek

            On 5/29/03 7:01 AM, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@...> wrote:

            >> Tim: I looked at your report again in the test folder, and there is
            >> still a problem with the font. Above the table it is small and black
            >> except for the headers (good), but below the table, for the
            > remainder
            >> of the report it is large and blue ...
            >
            > I don't see what Dawn is describing. Can someone please take look at
            > my IR in the Test Level 1 folder and tell me if you see what she is
            > describing. I would greatly appreciate it.
            >
            > Thanks...Tim

          • tcoug7
            Message 5 of 16 , May 29, 2003
              Thanks Alex. I have an idea *where* the problem might be. Please
              look. In the meantime, I guess I've got to download a few more
              browsers....

              Tim

              > Yeah, I'm afraid there is some kind of problem ... something is
              browser
              > dependent.
            • tcoug7
              Message 6 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Derek Jones <nafai@n...>
                wrote:
                > Don't take this the wrong way, but uuuugggh...what program are you
                using to
                > create this?

                Yeah..but the report sure is purty....(if you're using IE 5.5 anyway).

                The code is not only terribly invalid, but you got TONS of
                > unused and redundant tags and tag sets.

                Ok. I'll see about cleaning it up.

                >Thanks...Tim
              • Derek Jones
                Message 7 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                  Actually, no, it's not browser dependant, it's just not valid code, and has
                  a lot of extraneous tags. Every browser degrades differently when it
                  encounters these things, some more gracefully than others. The easiest
                  solution therefore isn't fixing it for a *specific* browser(s), but to fix
                  it towards valid code and eliminating redundancies; then all of the browsers
                  will render it properly.

                  I've got some time today and would be glad to help you through said process.

                  -Derek

                  On 5/29/03 8:34 AM, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks Alex. I have an idea *where* the problem might be. Please
                  > look. In the meantime, I guess I've got to download a few more
                  > browsers....
                  >
                  > Tim
                  >

                  >> Yeah, I'm afraid there is some kind of problem ... something is
                  > browser
                  >> dependent.

                • Alex Tweedly
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                    At 13:34 29/05/2003 +0000, tcoug7 wrote:
                    >Thanks Alex. I have an idea *where* the problem might be. Please
                    >look. In the meantime, I guess I've got to download a few more
                    >browsers....

                    I don't think so Tim.
                    I'd agree with what Derek implied - what you need is to download a
                    different program to create the HTML :-) :-)

                    Now that I've looked the HTML itself, it's pretty shocking. It uses <dir>
                    when I'm sure it means <div> (unless you plan on putting in Hebrew or other
                    non-left-to-right text, and even then it's using dir all wrong), it has
                    blanks IDs, it has repeated IDs, it has mis-matched <b> </b>, mis-matched

                    But if you do go the browser route, Mozilla is definitely the most standard
                    conformant one to use, and it's relatively quick download.

                    Good luck
                    -- Alex.
                  • Benedikt Moser
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                      Just my 2 cents on that subject:
                      I used a number of different programs to produce html code (like Adobe
                      GoLive, Microsoft Frontpage, ...). I don't have them currently installed on
                      my Laptop but I found that Netscape Composer (is included in every Netscape
                      download) actually writes a pretty descent code for easy things like a BGT
                      report. The code that is written by Microsoft Word is terrible and I do NOT
                      recommend using Word for this purpose.

                      Have fun,

                      Benedikt

                    • Derek Jones
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                        As Alex said, Mozilla's a good choice as well. The latest version has
                        Composer built in. Netscape after all, is based on Mozilla at it's core, so
                        my suggestion is to go to the source. ;) Either are 10x better choices
                        than 95% of other browser / html editing options.

                        -Derek

                      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                          Two words... (assuming BGT is one word). BGT Help. This is not the proper
                          forum for this discussion.

                          I know everyone has good intentions, but please move the discussion there.

                          James T.

                          Derek Jones <nafai@...>

                          05/29/2003 08:51 AM
                          Please respond to BackpackGearTest

                          Actually, no, it's not browser dependant, it's just not valid code, and has
                          a lot of extraneous tags. Every browser degrades differently when it
                          encounters these things, some more gracefully than others. The easiest
                          solution therefore isn't fixing it for a *specific* browser(s), but to fix
                          it towards valid code and eliminating redundancies; then all of the
                          browsers
                          will render it properly.

                          I've got some time today and would be glad to help you through said
                          process.

                          -Derek

                          On 5/29/03 8:34 AM, "tcoug7" <tcoug7@...> wrote:

                          > Thanks Alex. I have an idea *where* the problem might be. Please
                          > look. In the meantime, I guess I've got to download a few more
                          > browsers....
                          >
                          > Tim
                          >

                          >> Yeah, I'm afraid there is some kind of problem ... something is
                          > browser
                          >> dependent.

                        • tcoug7
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                            > I'd agree with what Derek implied - what you need is to download a
                            > different program to create the HTML :-) :-)

                            Now that hurts.... ;)

                            > Now that I've looked the HTML itself, it's pretty shocking. It uses
                            <dir>
                            > when I'm sure it means <div> (unless you plan on putting in Hebrew
                            or other
                            > non-left-to-right text, and even then it's using dir all wrong), it
                            has
                            > blanks IDs, it has repeated IDs, it has mis-matched <b> </b>, mis-
                            matched

                            You see Alex, this is the difference between hardware guys like me
                            and all you software....guys. I fixed it already. It may not be
                            elegant, but it gets the job done. ;)

                            No one sees the code, only my B e a u t i f u l report!

                            Thanks for the help. I'll try to get better at HTML.

                            Tim
                          • tcoug7
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, <jetriple@r...> wrote:

                              > Two words... (assuming BGT is one word). BGT Help. This is not
                              the proper
                              > forum for this discussion.
                              >
                              > I know everyone has good intentions, but please move the discussion
                              there.

                              You're right, of course. But, I thought my HTML programming skills
                              would add some comic relief from the current discussion. ;)

                              tim
                            • Chief Moderator
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                                LOL...at least you have some.....
                                Jerry

                                <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org :
                                the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                                > Two words... (assuming BGT is one word). BGT Help. This is not
                                the proper
                                > forum for this discussion.
                                >
                                > I know everyone has good intentions, but please move the discussion
                                there.

                                You're right, of course. But, I thought my HTML programming skills
                                would add some comic relief from the current discussion. ;)

                                tim

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3313099.4604523.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                                066005:HM/A=1595054/R=0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=3
                                313099&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3313099.4604523.1512248/D=egrou
                                pmail/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=665312973>

                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                              • dawnhark
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Alex Tweedly <alex@t...> wrote:
                                  > At 12:01 29/05/2003 +0000, tcoug7 wrote:
                                  > >I don't see what Dawn is describing. Can someone please take look at
                                  > >my IR in the Test Level 1 folder and tell me if you see what she is
                                  > >describing. I would greatly appreciate it.
                                  >
                                  > Yeah, I'm afraid there is some kind of problem ... something is browser
                                  > dependent.

                                  I was viewing it in Netscape, if that helps at all (doubtful, lol)...

                                  Dawn
                                • J Cornelius
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 29, 2003
                                    Tim, I don't see that either - Dawn, what browser are you using?? I'm
                                    using Explorer 6
                                    Jodi

                                    > Tim: I looked at your report again in the test folder, and there is
                                    > still a problem with the font. Above the table it is small and black
                                    > except for the headers (good), but below the table, for the
                                    remainder
                                    > of the report it is large and blue ...

                                    I don't see what Dawn is describing. Can someone please take look at
                                    my IR in the Test Level 1 folder and tell me if you see what she is
                                    describing. I would greatly appreciate it.

                                    Thanks...Tim

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                                    066005:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=5
                                    56&lineid=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=249982.3179269.4495679.1512248/D=egrou
                                    pmail/S=:HM/A=1524963/rand=382323092>

                                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .