Testers in Mulitple Tests

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
      BTW Gerry Gladu was included in the Hennessy Hammock test because he did such a prompt, outstanding job of reporting in the Seychelle filter testing. We still only have 6 reports on the Seychelle uploaded to the Seychelle Test folder. Maybe the thought that you could be automatically included in the next test will act as a further inducement to get the tests in and on time.
      Jerry
    • George Cole
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
        <SNIP>BTW Gerry Gladu was included in the Hennessy Hammock test because he
        did such a prompt, outstanding job of reporting in the Seychelle filter
        testing.<SNIP>

        Jerry:

        This is not a knock of Gerry, as he is an experienced backpacker who has
        demonstrated that he can do a thoughtful and timely review. However, I was
        under the impression that testers were chosen randomly, and the fact that I
        have not been selected to participate in either the Seychelle or Hennessy
        test was simply a matter of chance. If this is not so, please advise, as I
        do not have the time to submit multiple test "applications" when I have less
        than an equitable chance of being selected.

        George Cole

        FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
      • David Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
          I have to agree. Let us know the game.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000

            Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000 12:53 PM

            However, I was
            under the impression that testers were chosen randomly, and the fact that I
            have not been selected to participate in either the Seychelle or Hennessy
            test was simply a matter of chance.  If this is not so, please advise, as I
            do not have the time to submit multiple test "applications" when I have less
            than an equitable chance of being selected.

            George Cole

            Your impression is incorrect. The testers are generally chosen with an eye toward satisfying the manufacturers requirements for that specific test. In the case of a completely new product by a new manufacturer, the very lack of experience of a tester may be a plus as this would show the manufacturer possible weaknesses in their instructions for use or in the product itself when used by the inexperienced. Some of the testers applying for the Hennessy test didn't live in areas nor were they going to areas, within the time frame of the test, that would provide the conditions required by the manufacturer for this test. This particular test could require some simple construction or minor engineering abilities. All of that was taken into concederation. In the Seychelle test the requirements weren't very restrictive and the selection was random. I suppose a case could be made that no human action is ever truly random. A truly random selection wouldn't be in the best interests of the people on this list or the manufacturers. Gerry was chosen for the stated reasons. I hope the stated reasons will prove to be unnecessary in the future. If you feel this is unreasonable then please do not apply in the future. This list is not a drawing for gear give away or a popularity contest. It is a serious list for the testing of gear for the benefit of both manufacturers and the people on this list. I hope this clarifies this issue.
            Thanks for your interest.
            Jerry
          • Gerry Gladu
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
              To be fair, if this is going to cause a controversy, I will back out
              of the test to give someone else a chance.

              Gerry
            • Gear Tester
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2000
                It was people signing up for testing and then just keeping the gear and not submitting any tests that caused the controversy. I never envisioned this to be a truly random drawing for testers no matter who made the selections. This isn't a place to just give away gear. That is why I required testers to apply for each test with their qualifications for that particular test. If we just had everyone send in their names one time and drew from that list forever we would end up with gear frequently going out to people that were uninterested in it or no longer interested in providing reports. The reports are vital to the continuation of this list. If manufacturers don't see timely reports with useable information in them coming back to the list there is no point in their providing the gear for testing. You did a great job on the Seychelle test even though I didn't do a great job setting the test up. People that don't submit reports certainly won't be conceded for future tests so I have no problem with remembering the people that do an outstanding job.
                Jerry