Hammock test

  • DAVIDJSCHULTZ@COMPUSERVE.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2000
      Please put me in the mix for the hammock test. I have several excursions scheduled in the next several weeks.

      I'm 6'5" 230 lbs. and try to go as light weight weight as possible (usually 18lbs base weight). I've been hiking extensively (60 days per year) for the last 5 years all over the US. Most of my trips are 3 or 4 days in length and involve fairly high mileages (20 - 30 miles per day). I would consider myself a functional gear head, i.e., I buy a lot of gear, but I only buy stuff that I think is very functional. I'm always looking for the "perfect" pack, tent, bag, etc. While I now live in Atlanta and hike the AT a great deal, I usually get out to AZ, VA, and CA and CO at least twice each per year. I intend to test the hammock in GA while stealth camping the AT in as nasty weather as I can find. Depending upon when I get the hammock, I may be able to give it a go in the Sierras also. I can easily meet the tester requirements for written material as well as photos.

      I'm mainly interested in the hammock concept because it seems like it might be a comfortable ultra - light (I'd like to test the lightest model that Mr. Hennessy thinks will hold my weight) stealth camping solution. When stealth camping, flat spots are often not easy to come by, but obliging trees seem to be. My concerns are:
      Is it easy to set up? In a blowing rain? In the snow?
      Is it comfortable for someone of my size?
      Will it hold my weight?
      Does it keep out a driving rain?
      How does it compare to a tent in functionality? How do I cook and stay dry? Keep gear dry? Dress? I have ideas on how to do these things with the hammock.

      Tread Well