Hennessey Hammock Geartest

  • Mark Smythe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2000
      Jerry,

      I thought I might be too busy for this round but I'm now in-between
      jobs with plenty of time over next few months for this gear test.
      The November thru December time frame will be perfect for enjoying
      some fall to winter overnight outings in the Northwest. Snow is
      likely for the North Cascades any time now. Please count me in as a
      potential tester of the hammock.
      I'm 42 and 5'9" at at 200 lbs. My winter gear consists of a 15
      degree synthetic bag and a polar fleece liner when the temps dip down
      around 0 and a full length 3/4" self-inflating sleeping pad. My
      winter shelters have all been of the 3 to 4 season tent variety. I
      would enjoy the opportunity to compare the hammock with my tenting
      experiences. Evaluation of methods for extending the temperature
      rating would be primary. Secondary would be evaluation of
      condensation, ease of setup, comfort, wind/rain/snow shedding
      performance, as well as entry/exit convenience, gear storage. I have
      a Radio Shack indoor/outdoor thermometer with min/max memory for
      recording minimum overnight temperatures. I also have both a digital
      camera, 35mm camera and scanner for documenting use of the hammock in
      winter conditions. I have web page building experience and would be
      happy to create a small sight just for posting any pictures I take.
      I agree to all the conditions outlined for this test. I would want
      to evaluate at least two methods for extending the cold weather
      rating using pads and radiant heat reflectors. I would buy
      reflectors/pads and incidentals either from a local REI or by mail
      order.

      Mark Smythe