OWNER REVIEW -- Moonstone Cirrus Vest

  • cahhmc
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2003
      Hello everyone. I hope you are having a good day. Here is my review
      for the vest.

      - Cora

      ------------

      Moonstone Cirrus Vest

      ---------------------

      Reviewer Information

      --------------------

      Name: Cora Hussey

      Age: 22

      Gender: Female

      Height: 5'9"

      Weight: 155 lbs (mostly "built" like a man)

      Email address: cahhmc@...

      City, State, Country: Los Angeles, CA, USA

      Date: May, 2003

      Backpacking Background: I began backpacking six years ago. I enjoy
      weekend and longer trips to the Sierras and the nearby Angeles and San
      Bernadino Forests, but I also travel to Washington, Colorado, and
      elsewhere. I love backpacking in spring and winter snow more than
      anything (especially on skis) but I am also very happy scrambling
      off-trail in the Sierras or glacier-hiking in the Cascades. My
      enjoyment of backpacking also provides a basis for my additional
      pursuits in climbing and mountaineering.

      Basic Product Information

      -------------------------

      Manufacturer:  Moonstone

      Year of Manufacture: 2002

      Listed weight: 12 oz (340 gm)

      Weight as delivered:  12.1 oz  (343 Grams)

      Size reviewed: Men's M

      Product Description

      -------------------

      General:

      The Cirrus vest is lightly insulated with Thermolite (R) and shelled
      with teflon-coated ripstop nylon. It has a full front zipper, a
      bungee-cord adjustable bottom hem, and one chest pocket that the vest
      can stuff into.

      Dimensions:

      The vest is short-cut. It is 25" (63 cm) long in the back with an
      additional 3.5" (9 cm) of collar. The front zipper is 26" (66 cm)
      long from collar to hem. The one chest pocket is 8" (20.3 cm) long,
      and the stuffed size is 8"x5" (20.3 cm x 12.7 cm). The top collar
      circumference is 18.5" (47 cm) and the bottom hem circumference is 45"
      (114 cm) when stretched out.

      Details:

      All seams are flat, and there are no seams on the shoulders. There is
      no windflap over the main zipper, but there is a flap over the stuff
      pocket. Both armholes are bound with lycra, and the bottom hem
      adjustments can be performed with one hand.

      Field Testing

      -------------

      I have worn the Cirrus on a 12-day hike of the Wonderland Trail in
      August, on three winter trips with a combined duration of 8 days, and
      on 4 other various warm-to-cool weather weekend trips.

      Trip Details:

      The trips saw temperatures from 75'F to 15'F (24'C to -9.5'C), windy
      conditions up to 35 mi/hr (56 km/hr), rain, sleet, and snow. Trail
      conditions included moving over uneven, rocky terrain, traversing,
      skiing, and sliding on snow and ice sections, moving through tightly
      packed trees and bushes, and walking extended periods over flat and
      open trail.

      Important Usage Points:

      Coldest Temperature used alone, while moving, with tee-shirt:

      40'F (4.5'C)

      Comments: Performed fine in the cold with no ill-effects to the
      fabric. Since it is a very trim vest, it works well as a layering
      piece in colder climates. When both cold and wet, (barely above
      freezing), the fabric still shed water well.

      Windiest situation: 35 mi/hr (56 km/hr)

      Comments: The windproof fabric stayed windproof. The arm cuffs did a
      good job of keeping the wind out, but the wind would leak through the
      front zipper and billow the vest while gusting.

      Vest reaction to sweat: Excellent. Obviously, this is an insulated
      vest, and the outer fabric is near waterproof. Thus, if I got even a
      little too hot, the vest got wet. However, I found that the
      insulating properties did not decrease when wet from sweat (or water)
      and dried quickly.

      Vest reaction to stuffing: Good. I do not store the vest stuffed, but
      the insulation has not lost any loft that I can determine from
      stuffing it on trips.

      Durability of vest: Good. The outer fabric has held up very well.
      Most of my winter gear gets thrashed and develops the tell-tale
      ripstop "thread run lines" from tree skiing, but the Cirrus has not.
      One or two inner lining threads have begun to fray, however. I

      believe it is only cosmetic, since nothing seems in any danger of
      falling apart. Overall, it seems to be a very well-thought-out and
      well-built vest.

      Personal Comments

      -----------------

      Comments on Fit: This is the best-fitting vest I have ever worn.
      Before purchasing this vest on a whim, I avoided vests because they
      billowed out in the middle on me and most did not have tight armhole
      designs. This one fits closely and keeps heat in effectively. In

      addition, the fabric is relatively quiet, so it feels just like I have
      another fleece on, rather than a nylon shell. Finally, the collar
      stands up on its own and protects my neck very well when zipped.
      Usually, I also have a distaste for collars, but this one has

      never grabbed my neck or bunched up when unzipped.

      Trips that I will bring this vest on in the future: Every trip that I
      would need more than long underwear. I would equate the warmth of
      this vest to a 100 weight fleece jacket plus a windproof vest. Thus,
      it has become the most versatile piece of clothing I own.

      Things that annoyed me: The stuffsack zipper is extremely hard to use
      without snagging it on the pocket. Sometimes, I would try to zip it
      up to six or seven times to zip it before giving up and simply shoving
      it in my pack. Additionally, the insulation began to poke through the
      inside seams (understandable and only cosmetic, but still apparent)
      after about 10 days of use. Finally, the vest only has the front
      chest pocket, and with no long sleeves to pull my hands into instead,
      my hands often get cold.

      Summary

      -------

      The Cirrus is a small, lightweight, insulated, and windproof vest. It
      is very versatile, and always finds its way into my pack, whether as
      warm-weather emergency gear, or another warm layer on winter trips.
      It works better as a standing-still insulater than an aerobic activity
      shell, but can function as either.

      My overall rating for this vest: Excellent, due to the fit,
      warmth/weight, and versatility. Highly recommended.

      Upsides for me:

      - Warm and windproof

      - Small, stuffable

      - Trim-fitting