Application to test the HSSC Fluid Pack

  • Josh Dunning
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2003
      Application to test the HSSC Fluid Pack

      Personal biographical information:

      Name: Josh Dunning
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'10"
      Weight: 180
      Torso: 19"
      Email: jdunning@...
      Locale: Northern Connecticut
      Date: 5/2/03

      Backpacking background:

      I've been spending as much time outdoors as possible for as long as I
      can remember. I tend to gravitate towards all manner of outdoor
      recreation with hiking, camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking
      topping off the list. I've been camping all my life, summer vacation, as
      a kid, was a week's worth of camping at the beach. Friends of my
      parents used to take us hiking in the mountains with an occasional
      overnight trip. Since then I've been hooked. The spring has recharged my
      desire to be outside, and several trips have already entered the planning
      stages. I just recently bought a puppy as well, and, barring any
      catastrophes she'll be here the 9th. There's nothing finer than hiking with
      mans best friend!

      Field information:

      New England terrain includes mountains up to 6,000 feet, as well as the
      subsequent valleys. Weather conditions include heat, sometimes hitting
      triple digits, cold back down to freezing in some parts. I've got some day
      hikes planned in the hills of West Suffield, along the Metacomet Trail.
      Several overnights are also planned a little farther north, and hopefully a
      long weekend of paddling and camping to round out the spring. Many afternoon
      hikes are in order, now they're a requirement, a dog with too much energy is
      a destructive dog!

      Style:

      Former heavyweight striving to go lightweight... Or Light-er weight! I like
      the ability to go light and fast, but then again, I like my gadgets and I
      like to be comfortable. It's always a struggle...

      Test Plan:

      If chosen for this test I would use the Fluid pack on most all short hikes.
      As I mentioned, I'll be taking my pup for daily walks and I'll need a pack
      for things like snacks for me, snacks for her, water, and various other odds
      and ends. A hydration pack is the perfect answer. I'll be able to hold
      enough water for the both of us, with room for whatever else I need to
      bring.

      I've also been using a hydro pack for a few years during my mountain bike
      rides. They're great to have because there's no need to bring bottles that
      are easy to loose, get gunked up with mud and muck, and generally don't hold
      enough anyway. I've been caught unprepared the last couple rides due to a
      flat and mechanical failure with no tools. Unfortunately my current hydro
      pack only holds the water bladder, no room for anything else.

      I like the idea of the insulated hose, to keep my cold water cold. I like
      the AirFlow back panel and straps to keep you cool. I also like the idea of
      a small-ish pack sporting the waist and sternum straps for stability. My
      test plan would be to thoroughly put these features to the test.

      Another feature of the hydro packs that sometimes gets overlooked is the
      bladder. Will it be easy to clean? Will it have a plasticy taste or smell?
      Will it be easy to dry? These are important if you don't want mold growing
      in there! Although, the more I read, the less I'm sure that the bladder
      comes with the pack. This will be important to the test. It does state that
      the bite valve is there, so I'm assuming the bladder is too. More on this if
      I'm chosen to test!

      Previously written reports:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Victorinox/Joshua%20Dunning/

      Swiss Army ( http://tinyurl.com/934f )

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Primus%20Alpine%2
      0Mini-Duo/Primus%20Alpine%20Mini-Duo%20Stove%20Lantern%20Combo/

      Primus Alpine ( http://tinyurl.com/934h )

      I HAVE READ THE BGT SURVIVAL GUIDE v. 1202 ON 5/2/03 AND WILL COMPLY WITH
      THE REPORT REQUIREMENTS OF CHAPTER 5.

      Currently Testing:

      32North StabilIcers
      SealSkinz - not shipped yet
      HSSC Dyno - not shipped yet

      Other reports:

      Black Diamond Moonlight - Owners Review
      Mountain Hardwear Thru-Hiker Tent - Owners Review
      Mountain Hardwear 1st Dimension Bag - Owners Review
      Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - Complete Test series
      Superfeet Footbeds - Complete Test series
      Duray Socks - Complete Test series
      Black Diamond Ion Headlamp - Complete Test series
      Bibler Winter Bivy - Complete Test series
      Granite Gear Virga - Complete Test series

      Thank you for this opportunity.

      Josh