Application to test : Petzl Myo 3 Headlamp

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      Application to test the Petzl Myo 3
      I am happy to submit my application to test the Petzl Myo 3 Headlamp with
      dual light sources. I have been alternating between my Petzl EO4 Zoom (for
      night hiking) and the Black Diamond Ion (for a camp light), both of which I
      like, but both of which have their shortcomings. I am excited about the
      Myo 3 and would love the opportunity to test one.

      James T.

      +++++++++++++
      Application:

      I have read the Survival Guide (v. 1202) <
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php> many times, most recently
      on April 30, 2003, and agree to comply with all requirements stated
      therein.

      Personal biographical information:
      Name: James Triplett
      Age: 43
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'2" (1,880 mm)
      Weight: 193 lbs. (87.5 kg)

      eMail: jetriple@...
      Residence: Cedar Rapids, Iowa

      Backpacking Background:
      I grew up car camping all through my childhood, or at least the first
      25 years. I also managed to continuously hike the lower 1/3 of the
      Appalachian Trail, while taking a short break from college, with a 50 pound
      Kelty external frame pack. Currently, I hike every day with my Black Lab,
      Claire, and spend many weekends backpacking and camping each year. I camp
      with the Scouts, my family, and solo. I try and take at least one one-week
      backpacking trip each year in addition to the many one to three-night
      trips.

      Field Information:
      Location or locations where you propose to test the gear:
      I will be testing the gear in Eastern Iowa where there are an
      abundance of woods and parks and other uninhabited (by human) areas. I
      recently moved to a new house and am now surrounded by approximately 40
      acres of woods, with some fairly steep terrain leading down to "Indian
      Creek". I often hike in dark conditions either early in the morning or
      after dusk. I will also be hiking in the Colorado Rockies for one week
      this summer, which will include an attempt at Longs Peak. This hike starts
      at 3AM and lights are required for the first several hours until sunrise.

      Description of location (mountains, elevation, terrain, etc.):
      Elevations here are all around 860 feet (262 meters). The terrain is
      hilly, wooded areas, with streams, rocks, dirt trails, as well as natural
      prairie. Testing in Colorado will be around 9,000 - 10,000 feet (2,700 -
      3,000 meters), and hopefully a summit of Longs Peak at 14,255 feet (4,345
      meters).

      Typical weather conditions expected during the test period (temperature,
      precipitation, etc.):
      Temperature and precipitation are as follows:
      Format:
      Month
      Low-High
      Precipitation
      May
      50-73 F (10-23 C)
      4.2 in (10.7 cm)
      June
      59-82 F (15-28 C)
      5.1 in (13.0 cm)
      July
      64-85 F (18-29 C)
      4.4 in (11.2 cm)
      August
      61-83 F (16-28 C)
      4.4 in (11.2 cm)
      September
      53-75 F (12-24 C)
      4.2 in (10.7 cm)
      October
      42-64 F (6-18 C)
      2.6 in (6.6 cm)
      November
      29-47 F (-2-8 C)
      2.2 in (5.6 cm)
      December
      16-32 F (-9-0 C)
      1.6 in (4.1 cm)

      Style (lightweight, tent vs. tarp):
      My style is best described as lightweight tent camping (but not ultra
      light), backpacking, and lots of hiking.

      Test plan or strategy:
      During the testing period, I plan on at least four local weekend
      trips in addition to a week in the Colorado Rockies in July. The July trip
      is a return to Longs Peak (near Estes Park, Colorado) with hopes of
      summitting this year. In my regular life, I go on daily hikes in the local
      woods for conditioning, gear testing, and to exercise my pup. These daily
      trips are on rough terrain and range from one to three miles (1.6 to 4.8
      km) during the week and up to seven miles (11.3 km) on weekends. Often
      the trips are after dark or before sunrise. My trips (away from home)
      include Scout trips, and solo and family outings to trails in the area,
      mostly for weekends or "long weekends".

      My test plan is to use the Myo 3 as a camp light / tent light on all
      expeditions. I would also be using the Myo 3 as a trail light for all
      hiking during darkness, including the Longs Peak trip as outlined in the
      Field Information above.

      Thank you for considering me for this test.

      -James T.

      (More below)

      Monitor for the following:
      * 32north STABILicers Sport (started 2/1/03)
      * LazerBrite Flashlight System (started 10/15/02)

      Owners Reviews:
      Ridge Rest® 25 (Therm-a-Rest sleep pad) (Owner Review: 10/23/2002)
      The folder location for this Owner Review may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/aocv

      REI Talus 30 backpack (Owner Review: 2/11/2002)
      The folder location for this Owner Review may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/aocm

      CamelBak UnBottle - 100 oz. Insulated hydration system (Owner Review:
      2/11/2002)
      The folder location for this Owner Review may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/aobm

      In Process Tests:
      Leki Ultralite Ti AirErgo PA AS Trekking Poles (in process)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/aodx
      4/23/2003 - Initial Test Report
      6/24/2003
      10/28/2003

      Big Agnes Mad House ? Tent (in process)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/aod9
      3/12/2003 - Initial Test Report
      5/13/2003
      9/9/2003

      NEOS Navigator 5 Overshoes (in process)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/aobd
      1/27/2003 - Initial Test Report
      3/24/2003 - Field Test Report
      7/22/2003

      Psolar.EX Facemask (in process)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/aoa3
      1/17/2003 - Initial Test Report
      3/18/2003 - Field Test Report
      7/24/2003

      Completed Tests:
      ULA P2 Ultralight Backpack (Final Report Uploaded - 2/24/2003)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/ao9v

      Black Diamond Ion Ultralight LED Headlamp (Final Report Uploaded -
      1/7/2003)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/anx3

      Cache Lake Camping Foods (One Time Report - 12/2/2002)
      The folder location for this test may be found here: http
      http://tinyurl.com/anwt

      Birdiepal Outdoor Umbrella System (Final Report Uploaded - 10/21/2002)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/anwk

      Leki Super Makalu Air Ergo PA trekking poles (Final Report Uploaded -
      9/11/2002)
      The folder location for this test series may be found here:
      http://tinyurl.com/anwa