Application to Test: HSSC Fluid Pack

  • tyrerob
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      Please accept my application to test the High Sierra Fluid Pack. I
      have read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide,
      version 1202, and I will follow all requirements. I am an apprentice
      graduate of the BGT mentor program.

      Name: Cheri Tyre-Roberts
      Age: 42
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'7"(1.7m)
      Weight: 145 lbs (66kg)
      Email address:
      Location: North Central Florida, USA

      Date: 5/1/2003

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking for over 20 years.
      The majority of my trips have been 3-6 day trips with "the big one"
      still looming in my future. I backpack mostly in Florida, in
      extremely hot conditions such as the Florida Trail in July, or the
      North Carolina mountains. I also backpack with my dogs and young
      children, aged 8 & 9. I pack light but am not obsessed with it as I
      enjoy some of the "creature comforts". On day hikes I stuff my
      mountain bike hydration pack into a daypack due to the fact that my
      mountain bike pack doesn't have enough room for the "stuff" I want to
      take and the fact that my old daypack doesn't have a hydration system.

      Field Information:

      The High Sierra Fluid Pack will be tested in Florida along the
      Florida Trail on day trips. During these trips the temperature range
      will average from 65 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit (18 to 32 degrees
      Celsius) at night with very high humidity. I will also evaluate this
      bag on a 8 day kayak and tent trip to the Florida Keys this summer.
      The average temperatures will be the same as above except the humid
      air is salt saturated. On my daily bike commute to work I plan to us
      the HSSC Fluid pack to carry my gear as well as having water
      available. My bike commute is 12 miles (19 kilometers) roundtrip. I
      ride in the spring, fall, and winter on the average taking my bike at
      least 3 days per week.

      Testing Plan:

      The HSSC Fluid Pack looks to have the ability to be a multi-purpose
      pack. The size 16 x 12.5 x 6 inches (41 x 32 x 6 centimeters) is
      great to carry gear for a dayhike, while the fluid reservoir hold 68
      ounces (2 liters). The area in which I hike and bike is very hot and
      humid. On an average ride or hike I waste a large amount of water
      because the water in the tube gets so hot as to not be refreshing.
      The Fluid Pack has an insulated water tube cover that may be a
      solution to the hot water problem. Organization of the pack will be
      tested with gear such as shoes and clothing for work, GPS, maps,
      snacks, first aid kit and dog leash. I will evaluate if this type of
      gear can be carried with a full reservoir of water. I would also like
      to test how easy the reservoir is to keep clean. The organizational
      design will also be tested on my kayak trip in the keys. All of my
      gear is generally stowed in waterproof bags, however I need a smaller
      pack to lash within reach with smaller items and water. The Fluid
      pack will fit under the shockcord behind the cockpit of my touring
      kayak. The hands free water reservoir will be tested for ease of use
      and durability. Is it really hands free? It has been my experience
      that the mouthpieces on the water tube tend to break or split after
      short periods of use particularly in a hot climate. In addition to
      the durability of the hydration system I will also evaluate the
      durability of the pack itself. The Fluid Pack is made of 600 denier
      Duralite and Duralite Ripstop material. Using this pack on my daily
      commutes and weekend treks will be an ideal time to test the
      stitching, fabric and mesh pockets for durability.
      I will really put the deluxe airflow suspension mesh back design to
      the test. High Sierra states that the back design allows maximum
      ventilation. The shoulder straps are also designed to allow airflow.
      In the extremely hot and humid environment in which I live summer and
      fall trekking will allow for a thorough test of this feature. The fit
      of the pack will also be evaluated. The Fluid pack has an adjustable
      waist belt and sternum strap in addition to adjustable shoulder
      straps. This should allow for a comfortable fit. The fit along with
      the ventilation system will both be evaluated to determine pack
      comfort while hiking as well as on a bike.

      If chosen to test this product I would prefer the red and black pack

      Previously Written Reports:
      Owner Reviews:
      Thorlo hiking socks -Feb.2,2003
      Magellan SportTrak Pro GPS-Feb.6,2003

      Completed Tests:
      Ruff Wear Tea Tree and Oat Soap

      Currently Testing Other Items:

      LEKI Ultralite TiAirErgo Trekking Poles (Initial Report Filed)

      Wild Roses Catalina Rose Anorak (Initial report filed)

      Granite Gear Ruff Rider Dog Packs (Initial report filed)

      Thank you for your consideration,
      Cheri Tyre-Roberts