INITIAL REPORT: BD Contour Trekking Poles (Dennis)

  • Dennis Shubitowski
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 7:14 AM
      Please find below my BD Contour initial report. I am still working on the photos and will upload the HTML version to the test folder when I finish them (today likely) - I will send a notice to the list.

      This feels like deja vu all over again. ;)

      Dennis

      Initial Report - Black Diamond Contour Trekking Poles

      Report Outline
      Tester Information
      Summary
      Product Information
      Product Description
      Initial Observations
      Testing Plan
      Biography

      Tester Information <back to top>
      Reviewer: Dennis Shubitowski
      E-mail: shubitow at msu dot edu
      Date Published: May 1, 2003

      Summary <back to top>
      I really like these poles at first glance. This test series accidentally began with the 2002 year model, and nearly all the concerns I had with those otherwise fine poles were addressed in this 2003 model update. The FlickLock mechanism is a solid and easily adjustable locking mechanism that is very effective, and it is probably the strongest asset of this pole lineup in the Black Diamond collection. If you are looking for a very light, comfortable, and no-frills trekking pole, give these poles serious consideration.

      Product Information <back to top>
      Item: Black Diamond Contour Trekking Poles
      Manufacturer: Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.
      Manufacturer's web address: www.bdel.com
      Year of manufacture: 2003
      Manufacturer listed weight: Not listed on website or in product manual
      Weight as received (poles only): 1 lb 0.5 oz (474 g) for pair (measured on laboratory scale)
      Manufacturer listed length: Not listed on website or in product manual
      Length as received: 28.4 in (72.1 cm) to 53.9 in (136.8 cm)
      MSRP: $99.95 USD

      Product Description <back to top>
      The Black Diamond Contour Trekking Poles were waiting for me on the porch of my house on Saturday, April 19, 2003. The poles were shipped in a plain box, wrapped in "Black Diamond" logo shipping tape, with the poles, trekking baskets, and a shipping receipt inside the box. The poles were wrapped in plastic wrap and held together by a plastic connector and a rubber band, and the pointy-tipped end of the poles were shipped with a mushroom-shaped tip protector already in place. Everything arrived in good condition. There was a generic instruction manual attached to one of the pole straps that covers their pole lineup and is printed in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese. The manual mentions both adjustment mechanisms - "Flicklock" and "Binary" - and how they operate, the "Ascent" shock absorbing grip which does not apply to these poles, and the 'Whippet" self-arrest ice pick which is not included either. The manual also covers inspection, maintenance, and storage of the poles.

      This is my second pair of Black Diamond Contour trekking poles. This test series began with the wrong set of poles (2002 model instead of 2003 model) being shipped. This pole set has several changes compared to the first set I have used. I surfed over to the recently redesigned Black Diamond website to read about the new 2003 Contour poles, and I had difficulty finding them on their website. The poles are not logically listed under "Backcountry » FlickLock Poles," but instead under "Rock » Trekking Poles." A "Site Index" or "Search" would be very helpful here, but they are not active links at the bottom of the web page as of May 1, 2003. The Black Diamond website lists these summarized properties for the poles:

      * Lightest pole in Black Diamond collection
      * Ergonomic, non-slip foam grips
      * 15º corrective angle
      * Binary and FlickLock adjustment systems
      * Usable adjustment range of 13 in (33 cm)
      * Easily replaceable carbide tips

      The poles appear exactly as indicated by the picture on the Black Diamond website, and they are quite sharp looking trekking poles. The poles are made of three aluminum sections and are non shock-absorbing. Starting at the top, the grips are set at a 15º angle. They are made a stiff foam and are topped with a hard, plastic head. The grips are about 5 in (13 cm) in total length with about 4 in (10 cm) of "useable" grip where your hand would normally rest. My three bottom fingers wrap naturally around the lower portion of the grip, and my thumb and forefinger rest on the curve of the upper portion. The straps for the poles are connected to a recessed area in the plastic head. The nylon straps are variable in width - they are about 0.5 in (1.3 cm) wide at their narrowest and about 1 in (2.5 cm) at their widest. The side of the straps that would rest against your hands are lined with a neoprene-like foam that is cleanly sewn and follows the changing curves of the straps. The straps are attached with a half-twist so they lie naturally against the back of your hand without kinks when your hands are inserted from the bottom of the pole straps. The straps are shortened by pulling down on the long, narrow tail of the strap and lengthened by pulling up on the portion of the strap that is closest to the top of the poles. The smallest loop diameter is about 12 in (30 cm) and the largest loop is about 18.5 in (47 cm); the straps are designed so they cannot be accidently pulled through the adjustment mechanism. Initially, I find the straps much easier to shorten than they are to lengthen. The straps for both of the poles are attached in exactly the same manner - there is no dedicated "right" or "left" pole.

      The upper section of the poles is anodized in a soft orange tone that is solid in color closest to the handle and fades in a random, pleasant pattern as it approaches the FlickLock mechanism. This pole section has a definite bend in it near the top that accounts for the angle of the grips. The upper section is emblazoned with the Black Diamond logo and name, "Contour" in a black band directly below the name and logo, and a FlickLock logo is located near the bottom. At the bottom of the upper pole section is the removable FlickLock mechanism used to adjust the length of the center pole section. There is a removable sticker warning label directly on the Flicklock mechanism itself noting to adjust the tension before first use. This FlickLock is a simple, cam mechanism, and the tension is adjustable by a large screw using either a Philips or a flat headed screwdriver. The screw is very easy to adjust, and nearly any thin, flat object could be used for tension adjustment in a pinch. To adjust the center pole length, you flip open the Flicklock mechanism, the tension on the center section loosens, you adjust the length by moving the center section in or out, and then snap the FlickLock back into position. The center section can be pulled out and separated completely from the upper section. The center pole section is anodized with the same solid, soft orange color and is clearly marked with the Black Diamond logo, measurements of 105 cm, 110 cm, 115 cm, 120 cm, 135 cm, 130 cm, and 135 cm (about 2 in intervals), and a STOP marker - all these markings appear to have been masked off to reveal the silver aluminum base. There is also a red, plastic end cap at the top of the middle section that seems to be part of the tensioning mechanism for the poles. At the bottom of the center pole is the Binary adjustment mechanism for the bottom pole section.

      The bottom section of the poles is not removable, and it is not adjustable. This pole section is meant to be either all the way in or all the way out, thus binary is a proper term. To lock this section into place, you pull the bottom section out until it stops and rotate it slightly until the brass pins click into place. The mechanism is similar to the common, spring-loaded button that pops out into one of many holes for adjustment on many types of adjustable aluminum tubing sections like those used in some tripods. To collapse the bottom section, you squeeze on both sides of the Binary adjustment mechanism's soft, clear collar to compress the pins and slide the pole back into the center section. This pole is silver and is marked in black printing with the Black Diamond name and logo as well. The tip section is located at the bottom of the pole (obviously), is made of a hard, formed plastic, and is about 3 in (7.5 cm) long. There is a "neck" at the top that stops against the Binary adjustment mechanism, and there is also a slight ridge that is the upper stop for the trekking pole baskets. This tip section tapers toward the carbide tip that is cut with an asterisk pattern cut onto its end. According to the manufacturer, the carbide tip is "easily replaceable," but I could not figure out how to remove it. All baskets and tip protectors, when used, are held onto this section by friction. The trekking baskets are pushed up to the slight ridge, and the tip protectors slide onto the tapered section. The tip baskets are held quite firmly on the poles and can be quite difficult to remove. This is probably a good thing as I wouldn't want them to fall or get pulled off in the field. The tip protectors have a small, metal disc inserted inside and at the bottom to prevent to carbide tip from poking through. The metal discs do not seem to stay firmly in place and look like they will pop out with repeated on the pole, off the pole motions; testing will tell. Both the trekking baskets and the tip protectors will fit on this lower tip section at the same time.

      The listed usable lengths of the poles given by the manufacturer is only given as adjustable over a 13 in (33 cm) range - this is accurate by my measurements assuming the bottom pole section is locked in the extended position. The shortest collapsed length is 28.4 in (72.1 cm) and the longest usable length is 53.9 in (136.8 cm). You can knock about 2 in (5 cm) off the minimum length (i.e. in using the pole for a tarp support) by jamming the tip into the ground up to the pole's basket. The poles and accessories were measured on a laboratory balance with the following results:

      Pole: 237.1 g (8.36 oz)
      Pole: 236.9 g (8.36 oz)
      Tip Protector: 8.3 g each (0.3 oz)
      Trekking Basket: 8.5 g each (0.3 oz)

      Initial Observations <back to top>
      It is hard not to compare these poles to the 2002 model we were originally given to test. The straps on these poles are a significant improvement over the previous design. Black Diamond also made a very light pole even lighter with the new model design. Length markings are now anodized onto the pole shaft which should ensure that they will not rub off as well. From the FlickLock mechanism on down, the poles remain relatively unchanged from the previous model. One thing I noticed right away is that the straps for the poles are attached in exactly the same way with no designated right or left pole. This is unfortunate in an otherwise excellent redesign because padding for the pole only fits naturally for my left hand where my thumb rests (this assumes inserting your hand into the pole straps from the bottom). Since the strap layout is the same, my right thumb does not rest on the neoprene padding. This could be easily fixed by attaching the strap for the "right" pole in a mirror image of the current attachment and labeling the top of the poles with a "R" and "L." However, if I inserted my hands from the top instead of the bottom, this change would probably not make a significant difference in how the strap padding rests on my hand. The instruction manual for this pole set needs to be updated as well - there is no mention of the new strap system and how to adjust it.

      Additional resources for trekking pole use: Pete's Pole Page

      Testing Plan <back to top>
      I will continue to use the Black Diamond Contour poles for the remaining test period and beyond. I plan on paying particular attention to the Binary adjustment mechanism as it is not removable and may be difficult to clean if dirt or grit lodges its way past this locking mechanism. The upper section of the poles can be separated for easy cleaning if necessary, and I plan to test this likely using a shotgun cleaning kit. It is also curious to me that the bottom section of the pole is also not adjustable with a FlickLock mechanism. The bottom pole section is the smallest in diameter would seem to be the weakest section in the pole. There is no mechanism to leave part of this section in the upper section and lengthen the center section to make up the difference. I will pay particular attention to this area as well as I continue to test these poles. These poles will accompany me when geocaching, going for my walks on campus during my work breaks, and while backpacking. Spring is quickly fading into summer here in Michigan, and I will have numerous multi-day backpacking trips and dayhikes in varying terrain which will provide good testing opportunities for these poles. The poles will also be assessed for secondary usages, especially as they apply to shelter setups using tarps and my homemade tarptent shelter where they would replace the Easton aluminum poles I currently use.

      Biography <back to top>
      Name: Dennis Shubitowski
      Age: 33
      Height: 5'11" (180.34 cm
      Weight: 165 lb (74.84 kg)
      E-mail: shubitow at msu dot edu
      Location: Owosso, Michigan

      Born, raised, and currently live in Michigan. I have been camping with family since I was a young tot (and probably before that) along with scouting activities. I have been backpacking since the early 1990s and have gotten out much more over the last several years as life has settled down. I also hunt, geocache, horseback ride, ski, orienteer, and canoe. I backpack in every season - rain, snow, or shine. My hiking philosophy is definitely slid somewhere between ultra- and lightweight backpacking over the past couple years from my "backbreaker" days. This includes a homemade, silnylon tarp shelter (although those hammocks are starting to look inviting!), a frameless backpack, homemade alcohol and Esbit stoves, and cooking in a WalMart grease pot.
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1 1:01 PM
        > Since the strap layout is the same, my right thumb does
        > not rest on the neoprene padding.

        I'd like to see a picture of this... I don't seem to be having this
        problem...

        Shane
      • Dennis Shubitowski
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1 1:10 PM
          Yup - hopefully they turned out. I noticed this on my 40 mile hike this weekend with the poles. I took a photo with pole in each hand.

          Dennis

          Message 4 of 10 , May 1 2:58 PM
            Gosh, replying to myself - I hate that. The other thing I thought of is that the neoprene could simply extend longer on the strap that does not get moved. That would take care of the problem of a padding shortage and would eliminate have to make a right and left pole. A simple solution, and I will amend my report after the edits.

          • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2 1:24 PM
              Thanks for the great and thorough report again! It's deja vu all over again
              for me too. =) I've added a few edits and comments below...not many - good job!

              > Initial Report - Black Diamond Contour Trekking Poles
              >
              > Report Outline
              > Tester Information
              > Summary
              > Product Information
              > Product Description
              > Initial Observations
              > Testing Plan
              > Biography
              >
              > Tester Information <back to top>
              > Reviewer: Dennis Shubitowski
              > E-mail: shubitow at msu dot edu
              > Date Published: May 1, 2003
              >
              > Summary <back to top>
              > I really like these poles at first glance. This test series accidentally
              > began with the 2002 year model, and nearly all the concerns I had with those
              > otherwise fine poles were addressed in this 2003 model update. The FlickLock
              > mechanism is a solid and easily adjustable locking mechanism that is very
              > effective, and it is probably the strongest asset of this pole lineup in the
              > Black Diamond collection. If you are looking for a very light, comfortable,
              > and no-frills trekking pole, give these poles serious consideration.
              >
              > Product Information <back to top>
              > Item: Black Diamond Contour Trekking Poles
              > Manufacturer: Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd.
              > Manufacturer's web address: www.bdel.com
              > Year of manufacture: 2003
              > Manufacturer listed weight: Not listed on website or in product manual
              > Weight as received (poles only): 1 lb 0.5 oz (474 g) for pair (measured
              on
              > laboratory scale)
              > Manufacturer listed length: Not listed on website or in product manual
              > Length as received: 28.4 in (72.1 cm) to 53.9 in (136.8 cm)
              > MSRP: $99.95 USD
              >
              > Product Description <back to top>
              > The Black Diamond Contour Trekking Poles were waiting for me on the porch of
              > my house on Saturday, April 19, 2003. The poles were shipped in a plain box,
              > wrapped in "Black Diamond" logo shipping tape, with the poles, trekking
              > baskets, and a shipping receipt inside the box. The poles were wrapped in
              > plastic wrap and held together by a plastic connector and a rubber band, and
              > the pointy-tipped end of the poles were shipped with a mushroom-shaped tip
              > protector already in place. Everything arrived in good condition. There was a
              > generic instruction manual attached to one of the pole straps that covers
              > their pole lineup and is printed in English, German, French, Italian,
              > Spanish, and Japanese. The manual mentions both adjustment mechanisms -
              > "Flicklock" and "Binary" - and how they operate, the "Ascent" shock absorbing
              > grip which does not apply to these poles, and the 'Whippet" self-arrest ice
              > pick which is not included either. The manual also covers inspection,
              > maintenance, and storage of the poles.

              COMMENT: In the above paragraph you use the term "Flicklock" but everywhere
              else you capitalize the L - "FlickLock". Better to be consistent...

              > This is my second pair of Black Diamond Contour trekking poles. This test
              > series began with the wrong set of poles (2002 model instead of 2003 model)
              > being shipped. This pole set has several changes compared to the first set I
              > have used. I surfed over to the recently redesigned Black Diamond website to
              > read about the new 2003 Contour poles, and I had difficulty finding them on
              > their website. The poles are not logically listed under "Backcountry »
              > FlickLock Poles," but instead under "Rock » Trekking Poles." A "Site Index"
              > or "Search" would be very helpful here, but they are not active links at the
              > bottom of the web page as of May 1, 2003. The Black Diamond website lists
              > these summarized properties for the poles:
              >
              > * Lightest pole in Black Diamond collection
              > * Ergonomic, non-slip foam grips
              > * 15º corrective angle
              > * Binary and FlickLock adjustment systems
              > * Usable adjustment range of 13 in (33 cm)
              > * Easily replaceable carbide tips
              >
              > The poles appear exactly as indicated by the picture on the Black Diamond
              > website, and they are quite sharp looking trekking poles. The poles are made
              > of three aluminum sections and are non shock-absorbing. Starting at the top,
              > the grips are set at a 15º angle. They are made a stiff foam and are topped
              > with a hard, plastic head. The grips are about 5 in (13 cm) in total length
              > with about 4 in (10 cm) of "useable" grip where your hand would normally
              > rest. My three bottom fingers wrap naturally around the lower portion of the
              > grip, and my thumb and forefinger rest on the curve of the upper portion. The
              > straps for the poles are connected to a recessed area in the plastic head.
              > The nylon straps are variable in width - they are about 0.5 in (1.3 cm) wide
              > at their narrowest and about 1 in (2.5 cm) at their widest. The side of the
              > straps that would rest against your hands are lined with a neoprene-like foam
              > that is cleanly sewn and follows the changing curves of the straps. The
              > straps are attached with a half-twist so they lie naturally against the back
              > of your hand without kinks when your hands are inserted from the bottom of
              > the pole straps. The straps are shortened by pulling down on the long, narrow
              > tail of the strap and lengthened by pulling up on the portion of the strap
              > that is closest to the top of the poles. The smallest loop diameter is about
              > 12 in (30 cm) and the largest loop is about 18.5 in (47 cm); the straps are
              > designed so they cannot be accidently pulled through the adjustment
              > mechanism.

              SPELLING: Accidentally

              >Initially, I find the straps much easier to shorten than they are
              > to lengthen. The straps for both of the poles are attached in exactly the
              > same manner - there is no dedicated "right" or "left" pole.
              >
              > The upper section of the poles is anodized in a soft orange tone that is
              > solid in color closest to the handle and fades in a random, pleasant pattern
              > as it approaches the FlickLock mechanism. This pole section has a definite
              > bend in it near the top that accounts for the angle of the grips. The upper
              > section is emblazoned with the Black Diamond logo and name, "Contour" in a
              > black band directly below the name and logo, and a FlickLock logo is located
              > near the bottom. At the bottom of the upper pole section is the removable
              > FlickLock mechanism used to adjust the length of the center pole section.
              > There is a removable sticker warning label directly on the Flicklock

              COMMENT: Again with the Flicklock vs. FlickLock

              > mechanism itself noting to adjust the tension before first use. This
              > FlickLock is a simple, cam mechanism, and the tension is adjustable by a
              > large screw using either a Philips or a flat headed screwdriver.

              COMMENT: I don't think the comma after simple is necessary.

            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 10 , May 2 2:19 PM
                > Thanks for the great and thorough report again! It's deja vu all
                > over again for me too. =) I've added a few edits and comments
                > below...not many - good job!

                I posted MY report before DENNIS did, and you edited HIS FIRST!
                Wah! Wah! I'm tellin' daddy!

                Shane
              • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
                Message 7 of 10 , May 2 2:24 PM
                  Patience is a virtue!

                  I was doing them both this afternoon...I just clicked send on his, then went to
                  make a cup of tea and watch the rain, then came back and clicked send on
                  yours. I'll make sure to click in a more politically correct order next
                  time. ;)

                  Quoting Shane Steinkamp <shane@...>:

                  > > Thanks for the great and thorough report again! It's deja vu all
                  > > over again for me too. =) I've added a few edits and comments
                  > > below...not many - good job!
                  >
                  > I posted MY report before DENNIS did, and you edited HIS FIRST!
                  > Wah! Wah! I'm tellin' daddy!
                  >
                  > Shane

                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2 2:32 PM
                    > Patience is a virtue!

                    Yeah... I'm in a silly mood today and I couldn't help myself... ;)

                    Shane
                  • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2 2:34 PM
                      It's Friday. Being silly isn't against the rules.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 5 6:46 AM
                        Boy, out for a day or three and I miss all the witty banter. Sigh. ;) Thanks for the edits - I though "Find and Replace" got all those FlickLock/Flicklock, but I guess I overwhelmed it! I'll make the changes you suggested and upload away.

                        Dennis

                        >>> rebecca@... 05/02/03 04:24PM >>>