Re: Initial Report - ATTN SHANE

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2003
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
      <shane@t...> wrote:
      > Reviewer information
      > Name: Shane Steinkamp
      > Age: 33

      Shane, Shane, Shane... I thought only women wouldn't tell people they
      had a birthday. Didn't we just celebrate yours last week? :->

      Fuzzy
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2003
        > Shane, Shane, Shane... I thought only women wouldn't tell
        > people they had a birthday. Didn't we just celebrate
        > yours last week? :->

        Drat! Well, I ain't changin' it. I STARTED it before my birthday... ;)

        Shane
      • Fuzzy
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2003
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
          > > Shane, Shane, Shane... I thought only women wouldn't tell
          > > people they had a birthday. Didn't we just celebrate
          > > yours last week? :->
          >
          > Drat! Well, I ain't changin' it. I STARTED it before my
          birthday... ;)

          > Shane

          What? You forgot it was coming up? I thought you memory was better
          than mine for little... things... ummm... uhhh... what was I saying?

          Fuzzy
          whose birthday comes up before his next 2 field reports are due, and
          has already edited the bio in both of them - just in case.
        • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2003
            Hi Shane,

            Enjoyable report - I read it on the website but have entered my edits below. I
            think there were only 2. Good job. ;)

> [...]
            > closest I have come is a second-hand set of ski poles, but they are the
            > wrong length and do not adjust. I have also used White Canes, the canes used
            > by blind folks, but while they fold up neatly, they aren't adjustable
            > either. Right now I'm settled on a hickory broom handle from an old broom,
            > but I'd be willing to see if a 'real' set of hiking poles could tempt me
            > away from my old friend.
            > To make sure I wouldn't use the poles incorrectly, I researched the subject
            > of hiking poles before undertaking this test. It may seem strange, since
            > everyone knows how to use poles, right? Well, I thought it best not to take
            > chances, despite having used a single pole for many years following Colin
            > Fletcher's method.
            > During my quest to satisfy my curiosity about the history of walking sticks
            > and staffs, I found that walking sticks have served foot travelers for as
            > far back as the eye of written history can see. In the Epic of Gilgamesh,
            > one of the oldest existing texts, they are used by the gods themselves. The
            > Sumerians used them, and Egyptian hieroglyphs clearly show them in common
            > use both as a walking aid and a symbol of power. The use of walking sticks
            > by outdoorsmen (and outdoorswomen) is well documented in literature, both
            > ancient and modern, and the only thing that seems to have changed is the
            > terminology; now they're called 'hiking poles', and these by Black Diamond
            > are called 'trekking poles'. My feeling is that a rose by any other name
            > still has thorns. Even the use of a pole in each hand is not a recent
            > development. In the Book of Zechariah we read, "Then I took two staffs and
            > called one Favor and the other Union, and I pastured the flock." It is
            > interesting to stand at the terminus of such history and to test the product
            > of its evolution.
            > SPECIFICATIONS
            > FlickLock Contour Trekking Poles are manufactured by:
            > Black Diamond
            > www.bdel.com
            > According to Black Diamond, the FlickLock Contour Trekking Poles have the
            > following features; measurements made by this tester are noted in red.
            > LISTED WEIGHT: 1 Pound, 1 Ounce (17 Ounces) (480 Grams) Per Pair
            > TESTED WEIGHTS
            > Weight Each
            > Per Pair
            > FlickLock Contour Trekking Pole (Alone)
            > 8.3 Oz (237 Grams)
            > 16.6 Oz. (474 Grams)
            > Basket
            > 0.25 Ounces (7.1 Grams)
            > 0.5 Ounces (14.2 Grams)
            > Tip Cap
            > 0.25 Ounces (7.1 Grams)
            > 0.5 Ounces (14.2 Grams)
            > Nylon Clip
            > 0.1 Ounces (2 Grams)
            > (One only)
            > OVERVIEW OF MATERIALS, CONSTRUCTION, AND FEATURES
            > Items in black are Black Diamonds claims. Notes in red are this testers

            EDIT: Black Diamond's claims, this tester's measurements...

> [...]
            > information on the website, this appears to be true.)
            > Ergonomic foam grips keep the hands cool and have corrective angles of 15
            > degrees, which ease the strain on arms and wrists over the long haul. (They
            > are very comfortable. Other claims will be checked...)
            > This pole is outfitted with our streamlined Binary and FlickLock adjustment
            > mechanisms and has a usable adjustment range of 64 cm. (If you include the
            > length of the Binary Adjustment (bottom section), then this is true. In
            > reality, the bottom section is either in or out. It's retraction/extension
            > distance is 12 3/4 inches (32.4 centimeters). The pole with the bottom
            > section extended, allows an adjustment range of 14 inches (35.6 centimeters)
            > using the FlickLock mechanism.)
            > This is the ultimate pole for long distance travelers who don't want a shock
            > absorption system. ('Ultimate' is such a strong word...)
            > Made with the finest aluminum and equipped with replaceable carbide tips.
            > Length: 73 cm (28 in) to 137 cm (54 in).
            > I measured this as 72 cm (28 5/16 inches) (MINIMUM CLOSED LENGTH) to
            > 136 cm (53.5 inches) (MAXIMUM EXTENDED LENGTH).
            > WEBSITE
            > The Black Diamond website, www.bdel.com, is straight forward, clean,
            > functional, and easy to navigate. Black Diamond gear is available for
            > purchase directly from the website through Black Diamond's online store.
            > Statistics, measurements, and a brief description for each item are
            > available on the website, but it would be nice to be able to see larger
            > images and get a more detailed description. For example, we are told that
            > "The sleek Binary adjustment system on the bottom shafts works in
            > combination with the FlickLock mechanism on the top shafts to give you
            > quick, non-slip adjustability." There is also a small image of the Binary
            > adjustment joint, but it is not apparent from the image how it works. There
            > is no description either, nor any explanation of how this system differs
            > from or is better than other adjustment systems.
            > INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
            > PACKAGING & PACKAGE CONTENTS
            >
            > The 2003 model (bottom 2 poles), shown in contrast to the 2002 model (top).
            >
            > (Note that scale is in inches.)
            > The FlickLock Contour poles arrived in good order, packaged in a cardboard
            > box. They were clipped together with a reusable nylon clip, and encased in
            > shrink-wrap plastic. There was a packing slip inside the box. A sticker on
            > the FlickLock mechanism encouraged, "ATTENTION! Adjust properly. See
            > attached instructions.", in bold red lettering. Instructions were included.
            > The contents of the box also included two black plastic (nylon?) baskets,
            > two translucent plastic tip covers called 'tip caps', and a white plastic
            > clip for keeping the poles together. I was pleased in many respects.
            > Several issues that were evident with the 2002 model have been addressed.
            > The bottom section of the poles are plain brushed aluminum. The top and

            EDIT: 'a gold color' is redundant (I think this is one of Jerry's pet peeves,
            because I've had it corrected in my reports before. =) ) Perhaps 'gold-like
            color' if the color is sort-of gold, or 'sections are colored (painted?) gold'.

          • Shane
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2003
              > I think there were only 2. Good job. ;)

              Thanks. Although...I see you have conspired with Andrew to keep me from
              submitting a perfect report... Foiled again... ;)

              > EDIT: Black Diamond's claims, this tester's
              > measurements...

              Struck by the apostrophe gremlins! I have been robbed!

              > > The top and middle sections are a gold color,

              > EDIT: 'a gold color' is redundant (I think this is one of
              > Jerry's pet peeves, because I've had it corrected in my
              > reports before. =) ) Perhaps 'gold-like color' if the
              > color is sort-of gold, or 'sections are colored
              > (painted?) gold'.

              Well, it doesn't SEEM to be paint... I could make a long and arduous
              argument about how 'a gold color', 'a gold-like color', 'a color similar to
              gold', and 'a golden color' are all the same thing, but Andrew would spank
              me.

              I will have the edits done tonight. Thanks for slogging through my tome and
              taking the time to check it. Thanks also for putting up with me today. ;)

              Were the photos acceptable?

              Shane
            • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                The photos were quite nice, in all the reports!

                Hmm...thinking about the 'gold color' phrase again...maybe it was the
                phrase 'gold IN color' that's more of a problem. I dunno, it's up to you. I
                had to keep this from being a perfect report you know. I was digging deep. =)

                Quoting Shane <shane@...>:

                > > I think there were only 2. Good job. ;)
                >
                > Thanks. Although...I see you have conspired with Andrew to keep me from
                > submitting a perfect report... Foiled again... ;)
                >
                > > EDIT: Black Diamond's claims, this tester's
                > > measurements...
                >
                > Struck by the apostrophe gremlins! I have been robbed!
                >
                > > > The top and middle sections are a gold color,
                >
                > > EDIT: 'a gold color' is redundant (I think this is one of
                > > Jerry's pet peeves, because I've had it corrected in my
                > > reports before. =) ) Perhaps 'gold-like color' if the
                > > color is sort-of gold, or 'sections are colored
                > > (painted?) gold'.
                >
                > Well, it doesn't SEEM to be paint... I could make a long and arduous
                > argument about how 'a gold color', 'a gold-like color', 'a color similar to
                > gold', and 'a golden color' are all the same thing, but Andrew would spank
                > me.
                >
                > I will have the edits done tonight. Thanks for slogging through my tome and
                > taking the time to check it. Thanks also for putting up with me today. ;)
                >
                > Were the photos acceptable?
                >
                > Shane

              • Shane
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                  > Hmm...thinking about the 'gold color' phrase again...maybe
                  > it was the phrase 'gold IN color' that's more of a
                  > problem.

                  Oh...

                  > I dunno, it's up to you.

                  No sweat. I will humble myself before the edit gods and blueline according
                  to your desires.

                  > I had to keep this from being a perfect report you know.
                  > I was digging deep. =)

                  It's a conspiracy! A conspiracy I tell you!

                  Shane
                • Chief Moderator
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                    As opposed to what...gold in size?.....gold in shape? Actually, the colors
                    gold and silver, along with all other "metal" colors, would be the exception
                    to my "red color" irritation. Metal colors can also be metals so the
                    distinction is necessary and correct. And I believe it should be "gold
                    colored"...but I certainly wouldn't bet on that.

                    Diamond Contour FlickLock Trekking Poles

                    The photos were quite nice, in all the reports!

                    Hmm...thinking about the 'gold color' phrase again...maybe it was the
                    phrase 'gold IN color' that's more of a problem.

                  • Rebecca
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                      See, told ya. One of Jerry's pet peeves. I think I did that in one of my
                      first reports and he called me on it. =) Now I notice it everywhere.

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                        Sorry....I just heard dispatchers on the radio do it all the time. "The
                        suspect vehicle is a 1993 Ford, red in color". Used to drive me bat
                        shit....lol. My other one is when I call someone at a company and the
                        receptionist asks "May I tell him who's calling?" My reply is always "Sure,
                        go ahead"....... It's disappointing how often they don't get it. But some of
                        them can be very fast on the up take about something they've done wrong
                        thousands of times.
                        Jerry

                        Diamond Contour FlickLock Trekking Poles

                        See, told ya. One of Jerry's pet peeves. I think I did that in one of my
                        first reports and he called me on it. =) Now I notice it everywhere.

                        Diamond Contour FlickLock Trekking Poles

                        The photos were quite nice, in all the reports!

                        Hmm...thinking about the 'gold color' phrase again...maybe it was the
                        phrase 'gold IN color' that's more of a problem.

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
                        05:HM/A=1554463/R=4/id=noscript/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?p
                        roflowers2+shopping:dmad/M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                        066005:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051924364+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.pr
                        oflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3
                        FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=231971.3069703.4522067.1261774/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=:HM/A=1554463/rand=786099923>

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • Shane Steinkamp
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                          > As opposed to what...gold in size?.....gold in shape? Actually,
                          > the colors gold and silver, along with all other "metal" colors,
                          > would be the exception to my "red color" irritation. Metal colors
                          > can also be metals so the distinction is necessary and correct.
                          > And I believe it should be "gold colored"...but I certainly
                          > wouldn't bet on that.

                          Could be a lot of things... I changed it to "a golden-brassy colour" just
                          to be obstinate. I can change it to "gold colored" if you prefer...

                          Shane
                        • Chief Moderator
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2, 2003
                            It's your report....say it how ever you'd like..... ;o)
                            Jerry

                            066005:HM/A=1554463/R=5/1051929998+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.pr
                            oflowers.com/rmi-unframed-url/http://www.proflowers.com/freevase/index.cfm%3
                            FREF=FGVYahooEgroupsLRECgif>