Introduction

  • Tim Scott
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16, 2000
      Hello all, my name is Tim Scott and I am an avid hiker and
      backpacker.
      I live in New Hampshire, and most of the hiking that I have done has
      been in the Northeast area. I began hiking while in college, sometime
      around 1994, and I haven't looked back since.

      Last summer I completed a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail, which
      was the best experience of my life. This summer I took a trip to
      Colorado where I got to do a few day hikes, most notably Long's Peak
      (only 53 more to go!).

      I also am an avid winter hiker, making a trip to the Whites as least
      once a month, usually more, to hit the trail where there are more
      people than bugs (and there are usually only a small handful of
      people). I have yet to get into winter camping, but it is something
      that I am interested in, and would like to try at some point this
      year.

      I would be very interested in testing various hiking and backpacking
      gear, and giving a full report to the manufacturer and to the various
      hiking lists that I am a member of. For three-season hiking/camping I
      am most interested in light and ultra-light gear. There have been
      some
      amazing improvements in the weight of gear in the last few years, and
      I would love to see even more. I am also interested in winter
      hiking/camping gear as well, especially gear designed for extreme
      cold.

      My information is as follows:

      Tim Scott
      330B Stage Rd
      Nottingham, NH 03290
    • bayley3438@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2 4:48 PM
        Hello Jerry & Group,

        I've been reading the posts for a few days (hav'nt posted til now) and am
        interested in testing some of the gear that relates to my geographical area.
        I'm in Arkansas where it gets cold but not sustained, and little ice or snow.
        My family usually hikes / backpacks the Ozark Highlands, Ouachita and Buffalo
        River Trails, and do so on a regular basis. We sometimes travel to adjacents
        states. I'm certainly interested in learning everything about this program as
        well as reading other Tester's reviews.

        Allen
      • Gear Tester
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2 5:43 PM
          If you see a piece of gear that interests you and you think you could give a good review of then post your qualifications and background for that particular item. I'm looking forward to seeing your name. Welcome aboard.
          Jerry

        • jabacsmith@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 8 6:26 PM
            Hi my name is Chris. Im an avid flyfisherman and camper. I also like to hike
            and camp with my youth group from my church around the buffalo river in north
            arkansas. Im also trying to get into rock-climbing. I go camping with my
            parents whenever I have time. Im wanting to become a gear tester because I
            like to try new and better equipment.

            Thanks for reading,

                                  Chris
          • Gear Tester
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 8 7:04 PM
              You have to apply for each individual test series. Stay tuned...lots of gear coming.
              Jerry

              Message 6 of 11 , May 23, 2001
                Hello All!

                My name is David Drewry, I live in Sacramento, CA and I am a guide
                using llamas as pack animals. I am very interested in testing gear,
                as a guide I put gear through real life tests for most of the year. I
                will read through the past posts to get up to speed and apply to do
                some testing.

                Dave
              • GearTester
                Message 7 of 11 , May 23, 2001
                  Cool! I've always wanted to pack with llamas or goats.
                  Jerry
                  > My name is David Drewry, I live in Sacramento, CA and I am a guide
                  > using llamas as pack animals. I am very interested in testing gear,
                  > as a guide I put gear through real life tests for most of the year. I
                  > will read through the past posts to get up to speed and apply to do
                  > some testing.
                  >
                  > Dave

                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 23, 2001
                    --- David Drewry <drewry@...> wrote:
                    > Hello All!

                    > will read through the past posts to get up to speed
                    > and apply to do
                    > some testing.

                    Welcome Dave,

                    I believe the hikenlite stove is still taking tester
                    apps. So, do you guide the people or the llamas? ;)

                    -Rob

                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                  • Larry Duke
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 24, 2001
                      How do you guide llamas?
                      Larry

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 24, 2001
                        > How do you guide llamas?
                        > Larry
                        With a rope and or a carrot~
                      • lance
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 12, 2001
                          Hello,

                          I'm very glad to have found this group! I'm a 32 year-old large-body
                          guy living in Juneau, Alaska. I frequently hike and camp in the
                          mountains surrounding Juneau, but buy most of my gear mail-order as
                          it's either unavailable or high-priced locally, so I'll be mighty
                          glad
                          to read the reviews here! The tests of the Big Agnes bags have
                          already reaffirmed that they are who I will be buying a new bag from
                          this summer.

                          Anyway, it's really cool to have found this group. I hope that at
                          some point, I'll be able to give some rainy weather (we get twice the
                          rain of the Seattle area) testing advice in the future.