Re: [BackpackGearTest] Comment Re: OWNERS REVIEW - Energizer LED Essentials H...

  • JimSabis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
      In a message dated 4/7/03 9:46:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cstarnes@...
      writes:

      > This is not even closee to an edit though I'll mention the one
      > mistake I saw. My comment is I could not find the Essential on the
      > web site and have missed it in stores so far. Using the energizers
      > search function I typed in essential headlamp and plain old headlamp
      > and it found no matches. Seems to me the big flashlight companies
      > are still in denial that LED will soon rule the world. LOL

      Coy - you brought up the question that I wanted to address with the editors:
      While Energizer has a website, and the website is noted on the headlamp
      packaging, there is no information on the headlamp at the website.

      Should this be mentioned in the header information, or should the URL info be
      eliminated? I'm certain the info will be there eventually.

      Comments?

      Jim S.

    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
        At 09:28 PM 08/04/2003, you wrote:

        >Should this be mentioned in the header information, or should the URL info be
        >eliminated? I'm certain the info will be there eventually.

        Include the URL. It not only acts as a source of product information, but
        contact information for the manufacturer. We can't be responsible for what
        is or isn't on manufacturer's websites.

        Andrew

        reviews and tests on the planet

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
          Here you go (this is copied from my email receipt, I hope it comes thru OK):

          Owner's Review - Energizer LED Essentials Headlamp

          Reviewer Information

          Name: Jim Sabiston
          Age: 48
          Gender: Male
          Height: 6'3" (1.9 meters)
          Weight: 207 lbs. (94 kilos)
          Email address: JimSabis@...
          City: Bay Shore (Long Island)
          State: New York
          Country: USA
          Date: April 7, 2003

          Backpacking Background:

          I've been camping for several decades. I started as a tailgate camper and
          made the transition to backpacking in the mid 90's. During these years, I
          also expanded my itinerary to include winter camping. This was primarily with
          the local Boy Scout troop and heavy, traditional camping techniques. I joined
          the Adirondack Mountain Club three years ago, the Appalachian Mountain Club a
          year later and remain active in both. I have also expanded my backpacking to
          include more winter trips, mountaineering and back country cross country
          skiing, and participated in the AMC's Winter Mountaineering training program
          with Chauvin International Climbing Guides. More recently, I have actively
          studied ways to backpack lighter and more efficiently. During the summer
          months, my style tends toward very light, but not quite ultralight. I use a
          hammock or tarp for warm weather, and a small four season tent for winter
          trips. Most of my other gear is very changeable, as I am constantly
          experimenting with gear and techniques.

          Product Information:

          Manufacturer: Eveready Battery Company, Inc.
          Year of Manufacture: 2003
          Listed weight:  N/A
          Weight as purchased: 2 7/8 Ounces (80 g)
          MSRP: $14.99 US

          The Headlamp:

          The Eveready Energizer headlamp is a lightweight general purpose headlamp.
          The headlamp consists of a single plastic assembly which holds both the Light
          Emitting Diode (LED) lighting element and the batteries.The lens housing has
          a pivoting hinge at the bottom, allowing the angle of the projected light
          beam to be adjusted through a very wide angle while the battery holder
          remains stationary on your forehead. The light is controlled by a single
          sliding switch located on top of the lens housing.

          The lighting element contains two white LEDs mounted behind a distinctly
          shaped clear plastic lens plate, which offer the LEDs considerable
          protection. There are two pronounced lenses molded into the covering plate
          located directly over the white LEDs. There is also a single red LED mounted
          in the center of the lens housing, behind the clear plate, but without the
          lenses seen over the white LEDs. Both white and red lighting elements are
          controlled by the same center mounted switch. Slide the switch to the left
          for red, to the right for white. The two colors cannot be lighted
          simultaneously.

          The headlamp is powered by three AAA batteries, included in the clear plastic
          packaging. The batteries are housed in the main body of the headlamp. The
          battery space is accessed by pressing down on a small button located on the
          bottom of the headlamp housing, which allows the rear part of the case to
          swing away, exposing the battery mounts. The battery orientation is clearly
          marked with molded positive/negative symbols for each battery.

          The headlamp is held in place by a single elastic strap which has an
          attractive black and grey 'camo' pattern. The back of the battery housing has
          a soft neoprene pad where the headlamp rests against your forehead. The
          elastic strap is easily adjustable, using a sliding buckle arrangement.

          In the Field:

          I have used the Energizer headlamp on one three day winter backpacking trip
          and for numerous odd jobs around the house and yard. The headlamp is light
          and comfortable enough for you to forget you have it on. While not strictly
          trail work, the use around the house has demonstrated the headlamps excellent
          utility, which is not limited just to backpacking. Uses to date include:
          night trail walking (flat grade with snow cover), general night tent work
          (sorting gear, cooking, reading, locating the all important pee bottle,
          etc.), nighttime automotive diagnosis and repair (dead battery), pouring over
          star charts and operating the equatorial mount on my telescope (red LED, very
          nice!) and even as a hand held light for quick applications (walking through
          a darkened house without disturbing anyone for that midnight snack).

          This headlamp offers two features which immediately make it worthy of special
          note. First, is the pivoting lens housing. Second, is the price.

          The pivoting lens housing allows you to easily place the beam of light right
          where you need it. This feature would be convenient for anyone, but is a
          blessing for people, like myself, who wear glasses which have specific focal
          lengths depending on where you look through the eyeglass lens. These are
          called bifocals, for all you 'youngsters' (or progressive lenses, if you have
          the newer version). My old fixed housing headlamp is a very good light, but
          required constant moving on my forehead when doing camp chores, as even the
          good area light has limitations for close work. The Energizer headlamp
          resolves this issue completely. Swing it up for the long view while on the
          trail at night. Swing it down into the mid-ground for a more focused and well
          lit look at a tricky spot in the terrain. Swing it in even closer for working
          with equipment, such as setting up a tent or cooking, and even closer for
          seeing what your eating, if this happens to be a good idea! Each adjustment
          can be done instantly. To date, the pivot hinge, which does not seem overly
          tight, has shown no signs of shifting position on its own once pointed in the
          direction you want.

          During the winter backpack, I made a point of going out after dark to walk
          the trails in an effort to determine the effectiveness of the light. The
          results were very satisfying. The focusing lenses are very effective,
          allowing the two LEDs to project a brightly lit, clearly defined, tight
          circle of light, instead of the broad 'area light' effect you get with most
          of these headlamps. The closer the beam is projected, the smaller and
          brighter the resulting circular lighted area is. The farther out you throw
          the beam, the more the lighted circle resembles an area light, as the lighted
          area becomes larger and more diffuse. This characteristic permits enormous
          flexibility of use.

          The pair of white LEDs are not as bright as a halogen bulb would be, but the
          trade-off, as with all LED based lights to date, is very long battery life.
          The packaging states a battery life of fifty hours, which seems conservative
          by most LED standards. In spite of fairly extensive use (not timed), the
          light output seems undiminished. I may have noticed the initial dimming of
          the output, but it is very subtle. This light appears to be the type that
          slowly fades until you decide it is time to change the batteries.
          Accordingly, the actual useful life expectancy will depend on how bright your
          light requirements are for the job at hand.

          I practiced a field change of batteries, even though the factory supplied set
          were fine. The housing is opened by pressing a small button on top, which
          allows the housing to swing open. The button requires a rather firm push, so
          an accidental opening is unlikely. The rear part f the housing comes
          completely off the main body, so you will have to be careful not to misplace
          it, especially in the dark. The entire process is simple and takes only a
          couple of moments, presenting no problems in the field.

          The single red LED provides a gentle area light. It isn't really bright
          enough for trail work, but it could be used in a pinch, if needed. It is
          excellent for close detail work, especially where preserving your night
          vision is important. I have put in a number of hours using the red light to
          read manuals, star charts and operate the computer controlled equatorial
          mount on my Schmidt/Newtonian reflector telescope, fine work indeed. The red
          LED has proven to be very effective in this application. Night work around
          camp should be a breeze.

          The only weak point that I have found on this light is the switch. It is just
          too easy to turn on and off. I have gone into my back on at least three
          occasions and found the light activated. This seems to be caused by other
          items in the pack brushing against the switch. I have no cure for this other
          than to be extremely careful about where and how I pack it. I found a place
          in a pouch that only sees intermittent use (hence, less jostling about) and
          have had no accidental activations since, but it requires care and thought.

          Things I like:
          1. The price. You can by two of these for the price of most single LED
          headlamps.
          2. You get a very useful red light.
          3. Nice small, light package.
          4. The pivot feature is wonderful.

          Things I don't like:
          1. The switch needs more friction to prevent the all too easy accidental
          activation.
          2. Not waterproof but, at this price,who expects it to be.
          3. Keep an eyeon that battery cover when changing batteries.

          a great value. At this price, you can afford to put one in each pack and
          another in your car for emergency service. I have already purchased two, one
          for my daypack and one for my overnight kit. If you are in the market for a
          headlamp, you should give this one a close look.

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
            At 09:36 PM 08/04/2003, you wrote:
            >Here you go (this is copied from my email receipt, I hope it comes thru OK):
            >
            >Owner's Review - Energizer LED Essentials Headlamp

            G'day

            Thanks Jim for your Owner's Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
            it for a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report will be
            subject to an official edit within seven days. If you have not had a
            response from an Edit Moderator via the list within this timeframe, please
            let me know directly at apriest@....

            You may receive edits or comments from other members of the group. These
            edits and comments, while not official, should be considered carefully, and
            if you find them substantial, revise and re-post your review. Incorporating
            member edits and re-posting to the list will usually result in a better
            review, as well as making things easier for the official editor. Please put
            REPOST at the start of your re-post, if you take this route.

            If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community! The
            editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to get your
            first two Owner Reviews approved and upload in a timely manner. Once these
            first two Owner Reviews have been approved you will be eligible to start
            applying for Tests.

            If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask via the
            list or contact me directly.

            Regards
            Andrew Priest
            Chief Edit Moderator

            reviews and tests on the planet

          • tcoug7
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
              Hi Jim, nice OR. Where did you find the lamp?

              One small thing....

              The rear part f the housing comes
              > completely off the main body, so you will have to be careful not to
              misplace

              I think you mean "of"?

              Tim
            • JimSabis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
                In a message dated 4/8/03 12:01:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tcoug7@...
                writes:

                > Hi Jim, nice OR. Where did you find the lamp?
                >
                > One small thing....
                >
                > The rear part f the housing comes
                > > completely off the main body, so you will have to be careful not to
                > misplace
                >

                > I think you mean "of"?
                >
                > Tim

                Tim - 'of' it is - thanks.

                I purchased both of mine at Target ($14.99)- in the hardware/flashlight
                section - NOT the camping section! I also found an olive drab version last
                week at Wal-Mart for only $12.77 US! Wal-Mart had it in the hunting/camping
                dept.

                Jim S.

              • JimSabis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
                  apriest@... writes:

                  > Include the URL. It not only acts as a source of product information, but
                  > contact information for the manufacturer. We can't be responsible for what
                  > is or isn't on manufacturer's websites.
                  >
                  > Andrew

                  Andrew - that was my take on it, too. Thanks.

                  Jim S.