Re: Aurora Test Call

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
      > The Granite Gear Aurora Test Call is scheduled to close Wednesday at
      > midnight, CST. I'd like to have a few more applications. This is
      a really
      > good test for some of the newbies looking to shake the 'newbie'
      designation.
      > Hint... Hint...
      >
      > Shane

      Dude,

      I'm already waiting to test the Futura, and I'd LOVE to test the
      Moonlight (really, really!!), but that ain't happenin', either. I
      hope *someone* out there can take advantage. The more tests we do,
      the more tests we'll get.

      As Shane said so succinctly, Hint... Hint...

      Fuzzy
    • stephanie
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones" <tom@j...> wrote:
        > Six Moon Designs has graciously placed four of their new Moonlite
        > Packs with BGT. Test Packs will come with BOTH harness systems, so
        > you will not have to choose between the two offerings.

        Oooh..this sounds nice. Too bad I'm already testing the Trek pack
        (which I love very much). Look forward to reading about this one
        though!

        stephanie
      • dawnhark
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
          Tom, I am very interested in this pack...depending on a couple things.
          I went to the Six Moon site but could not find out the exact
          dimensions of the pocket the pad goes into. (The info might be there,
          I just didn't see it.) Can you find this info out and post it? Also,
          they mention several specific pads that can be used with the pack for
          optimal suspension. I'm wondering if a windshield reflector or a 3/8"
          closed-cell pad would work. Do you know?

          You know what, I can just contact the maker myself and get this info,
          you don't need to do it!! Heheh, sorry...

          Dawn

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones" <tom@j...> wrote:
          > Six Moon Designs has graciously placed four of their new Moonlite
          > Packs with BGT. Test Packs will come with BOTH harness systems, so
          > you will not have to choose between the two offerings.
          >
          > Here is some info from the website, and a link to more information:
          >
          > Moonlite Pack
          > New ultralight pack designed for ultra-light long distance hikers who
          > need to carry the occasional heavy load of water or extra food. At
          > its minimum weight of 19 ounces (pack plus standard harness) the
          > Moonlite is incredibly light, yet capable of carrying loads of up to
          > 35 pounds.
          >
          > The Moonlite pack's unique suspension system changes the paradigm in
          > ultralight packs (read more). With this pack you can choose from one
          > of our two harness systems. Or, if you're creative with a sewing
          > machine, you can design your own harness and save a few bucks and
          > possibly a bit of weight also.
          >
          > In order to achieve maximum weight savings, the Moonlite Pack forgoes
          > most of the heavy add-ons found on traditional packs. Still, it
          > offers enough features to make your travels comfortable, and access
          > to your gear convenient.
          >
          > http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/moonlite.asp
          >
          > All the usual application requirements apply, however, please take
          > special attention to declare your style clearly. Applicants may want
          > to use this as an opportunity to take a major step towards
          > enlightenment.
          >
          > This test call closes Tuesday April 8th, 11:59:59 PM, PST. Good Luck.
          >
          > Tom
        • dawnhark
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
            Hi, Ron Moak!! YOU are Six Moon Designs, as I brilliantly deduced
            after laboriously adding two plus two...Can you answer my questions
            (below)? I want to use a hammock, and keep the pad(s) as light as
            possible (don't want to use my T-rest), hence my questions....

            And here's another: Does the pad-pocket need to be filled exactly to
            its inside dimensions in order to work?

            Thanks for your time--

            Dawn

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...> wrote:
            > Tom, I am very interested in this pack...depending on a couple things.
            > I went to the Six Moon site but could not find out the exact
            > dimensions of the pocket the pad goes into. (The info might be there,
            > I just didn't see it.) Can you find this info out and post it? Also,
            > they mention several specific pads that can be used with the pack for
            > optimal suspension. I'm wondering if a windshield reflector or a 3/8"
            > closed-cell pad would work. Do you know?
            >
            > You know what, I can just contact the maker myself and get this info,
            > you don't need to do it!! Heheh, sorry...
          • Ron Moak
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2003
              >> Can you answer my questions (below)? I want to use a hammock, and
              keep the pad(s) as light as possible (don't want to use my T-rest),
              hence my questions.... <<

              My assumption is that T-rest stands for Thermarest. If that's the
              case, yes it'll work just fine with the Moonlite. Once inserted into
              the Pad Pocket the Thermarest is inflated to the desired firmness.

              I've use both 3/4 ultralight and full length standard thermarest
              with the pack.

              >> And here's another: Does the pad-pocket need to be filled exactly
              to its inside dimensions in order to work? <<

              No, it will accomidate pads of different thicknesses and still
              provide support. I typicaly use a cutdown 3/4 length Z-Rest as my
              pad. I'll also store my folded ground cloth inside the pad pocket so
              it's easily available for use during breaks.

              For closed cell pads (blue foam, etc), I'll section them into 10"
              lengths and join them together like a z-rest. This allows the pad to
              fold flat.

              I don't know about a windshield reflector as I've not tried that.

              The pad pocket is roughly 20" tall X 11" wide X 2" deep.

              -Fallingwater
            • Tom Jones
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8, 2003
                I'm extending this test call one day, because I forgot to do the
                reminder email last night, and could really use a few more
                applications.

                This CALL closed tomorrow, Wednesday Night, April 9, 2003, 11:59:59
                PM PST. Any holdouts, please get your applications in.

                Tom