GPS UNIT WAS Re: [BackpackGearTest] Anyone used the MSR WindPro yet?

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31, 2003
      At 09:15 AM 01/04/2003, you wrote:
      >At 08:51 AM 4/1/2003 +0800, you wrote:
      >
      > >BTW What GPS where you looking for? Alex has put me on to the Garmin Geko
      > >101/201. The 201 looks really interesting.
      >
      >I've been looking at a few. the most important features are that they are
      >waterproof (including battery compartment) and they have good coverage of
      >marine charts with depth markings preferable. Small enough for backpacking
      >is a plus. I have some old basic GPS units that I will haul around
      >backpacking if necessary, but a good charting unit would be quite nice to
      >have while kayaking.

      The Geko weighs 3.01 oz including batteries (2 x AAA) and is waterproof to
      3 m (IEC 529 IPX7 standards - whatever that means), but don't know about
      the marine charts side of things.

      Andrew

      reviews and tests on the planet

    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2003
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest
        <apriest@b...> wrote:

        > The Geko weighs 3.01 oz including batteries (2 x AAA) and is
        waterproof to
        > 3 m (IEC 529 IPX7 standards - whatever that means), but don't
        know about
        > the marine charts side of things.
        >
        > Andrew

        I just got my Geko 201 (from Amazon.com) and will be using it on a 5
        day hike through the NJ Pine Barrens as a shakedown. Out of the box
        it acquired faster than the GPS in my car or the Lowrance I have for
        the plane (it also weighs *so* much less than the Lowrance!).

        But the manual says it's only waterproof for 30 minutes at 1 m. Once
        I've decided I'm not going to break it I'll pop it into a ziploc and
        see how well it floats. After that I'll give it a dunking and see
        what happens.

        The 101 was only $100 but it can't store any routes. That makes it a
        non-starter for me. The 201 also has some goofy games that I just
        can't see myself playing -- after all I hike to get away from the e-
        world.

        I'll post the results of my trip next month.

        Jim
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2003
          At 11:10 AM 01/04/2003, you wrote:
          >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest
          ><apriest@b...> wrote:
          > >

          >I just got my Geko 201 (from Amazon.com) and will be using it on a 5
          >day hike through the NJ Pine Barrens as a shakedown. Out of the box
          >it acquired faster than the GPS in my car or the Lowrance I have for
          >the plane (it also weighs *so* much less than the Lowrance!).
          >
          >But the manual says it's only waterproof for 30 minutes at 1 m. Once
          >I've decided I'm not going to break it I'll pop it into a ziploc and
          >see how well it floats. After that I'll give it a dunking and see
          >what happens.

          We look forward to your Owner Review ... before July would be nice :-)

          >The 101 was only $100 but it can't store any routes. That makes it a
          >non-starter for me. The 201 also has some goofy games that I just
          >can't see myself playing -- after all I hike to get away from the e-
          >world.

          I have seen the 101 downunder for AUD249 (about US$149), but not a price on
          the 201 yet. The 201 is the one that interests me.

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2003
            <apriest@b...> wrote:
            > >I just got my Geko 201 (from Amazon.com) <<snip>>

            > We look forward to your Owner Review ... before July would be
            nice :-)

            > >The 101 was only $100 but it can't store any routes. That makes
            it a
            > >non-starter for me. The 201 also has some goofy games that I just
            > >can't see myself playing -- after all I hike to get away from the
            e-
            > >world.
            >
            > I have seen the 101 downunder for AUD249 (about US$149), but not a
            price on
            > the 201 yet. The 201 is the one that interests me.
            >
            > Andrew

            No problem with an OR by summer. I've got a half-dozen trips planned
            between now and June that will cover the gamut of eastern U.S.
            terrain from the flats of the Pine Barrens to Mt. Washington in the
            White Mountains. Most of it will be in heavily forested areas so
            I'll get a chance to see how it works with tree cover although I
            won't get a chance to check its performance in box canyons.

            The 101 sells here for about $100US and the 201 for about $140US. I
            got mine from Amazon for $10 off & free shipping. TVNAV.com is also
            supposed to have decent deals on Garmin GPS so it's worth a check
            there when you're in the market. The 101 can do the positioning for
            you but won't help in tracing your route back or anything more
            sophisticated than letting you know where you are right now.

            The 201 has routing, tracerouting (where it keeps track of how you
            got somewhere so you can backtrack), and a whole bunch of other cool
            features (and the silly video games). I use TOPO! from National
            Geographic which can download waypoints & routes into a Garmin GPS.
            I believe the 201 uses the same comm protocols as the eTrex and
            others so it should take the download. I'll be testing that as well.

            As a side note, anyone on the list know if someone makes lithium AAA
            batteries? This thing is supposed to run 12hrs on a set of AAAs but
            I would like the extra life of lithiums if they're available.

            Jim
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2003
              At 01:44 AM 02/04/2003, you wrote:
              >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest
              >
              >No problem with an OR by summer. I've got a half-dozen trips planned
              >between now and June that will cover the gamut of eastern U.S.
              >terrain from the flats of the Pine Barrens to Mt. Washington in the
              >White Mountains. Most of it will be in heavily forested areas so
              >I'll get a chance to see how it works with tree cover although I
              >won't get a chance to check its performance in box canyons.

              Sounds great! I will be looking forward to your Owner Review. It sounds
              like it will be re-helpful for me in making my purchase decision.

              >As a side note, anyone on the list know if someone makes lithium AAA
              >batteries? This thing is supposed to run 12hrs on a set of AAAs but
              >I would like the extra life of lithiums if they're available.

              There was a discussion about this a while back. I don't think anyone has
              mentioned seeing them since then. I know I haven't seen anything down here.

              Does the 201 have a power-saver option or feature?

              Regards

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2003
                <apriest@b...> wrote:

                > >I would like the extra life of lithiums if they're available.
                >
                > There was a discussion about this a while back. I don't think
                anyone has
                > mentioned seeing them since then. I know I haven't seen anything
                down here.

                > Does the 201 have a power-saver option or feature?

                The 201 has a couple of power-saver features (all of which are used
                to get the 12hr runtime on alkalines) --- there's a backlight
                feature with a user settable timeout for when it reverts to no
                backlight, there's a contrast adjustment, and there's a "battery
                saver" mode. In this mode the unit turns itself on & off
                automatically so it can grab your position for the track option (it
                does one of those "breadcrumb" things where your past track shows as
                little dots) it also turns off WAAS correction in this mode as well.

                I'm trying a set of batteries on non-saver mode ("always on") vs.
                battery saver mode to see what the real life times are. The
                instructions reference using lithium batteries which is why I'm
                looking for them. They must exist somewhere or maybe Garmin knows
                that they're coming.

                My initial impression is that this thing is *really* light and
                *really* small but does everything that I can think of needing right
                now. I'll see if I still feel that way after a few trips.

                Jim

                P.S. It's interesting to see the effect this group is having on me.
                Even when I buy personal gear I'm setting up test plans and checking
                out things I never would have thought to check out before (like
                battery power tests).
              • seanc62
                Message 7 of 16 , May 22, 2003
                  --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, David Anderson

                  > Okay, I got it. my first impression is, WOW!
                  >
                  > I can adjust the heat level between blowtorch and being able to
                  hold my
                  > hand less than an inch above the pot supports. And it doesn't get
                  coated
                  > with black soot like the simmerlite. I'm going to try to run out
                  tonight to
                  > get away from computers, people and traffic. I'll make sure I bring
                  some
                  > stuff to simmer and some stuff to boil.
                  >

                  > --
                  > David Anderson
                  > Moderator
                  > BackpackGearTest.org

                  Do you have a follow up on how this stove performed? I'm in the
                  market and I be interested to hear your opinions.

                  Sean
                • David Anderson
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 22, 2003
                    At 04:59 PM 5/22/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Do you have a follow up on how this stove performed? I'm in the
                    >market and I be interested to hear your opinions.
                    >
                    >Sean

                    Hi Sean,

                    I've had it out for one 4 day trip so far and it has performed well. My 2
                    minor complaints so far are that it does not like to light at simmer level,
                    I have to turn it up a bit higher. And it seems to go through the fuel
                    faster than I had hoped. It was not a lot faster, just enough to have me
                    concerned at the end of a 4 day trip as it was getting low.

                    --
                    David Anderson
                    Moderator
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 19, 2003
                      Anything further on this? My current stoves are a 1985 vintage
                      Whisperlite (10.5 oz + 2 oz windscreen, a 4 year old Primus Ti
                      cannister stove (3 3/4 oz), and a 30 year old Svea 123. I'm
                      wondering how I might like the Simmerlite or the Windpro.

                      I've used the Primus for the past 4 years almost exclusively for
                      summer hiking in the Wyoming Wind Rivers and Big Horns; but it has
                      let me down in high wind. The Windpro seems like a nice compromise
                      between cannister convenience, moderate weight, and good wind
                      protection.