Initial Report Question

  • Sonjia Leyva
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
      I was reviewing the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide (v. 1202) on the
      BGT.org site prior to writing my initial report . Under Chapter 5, Test
      Report Requirements, Initial Report, the opening sentence states: "
      The first report is due within one week of receiving the item being
      tested ...". However, someone (don't remember who - sorry) a day or so
      ago, noted in his post on monitor requirement that the first report is
      due within 48 hours after receiving the item.

      WHICH IS IT?

      Sonjia
      Sonjia Leyva
      http://www.geophile.net

      "Geologists are Scouts who hated to give up camping when they went to
      college, so they majored in geology." Ellen Sue Blakey
      I defend Biogems! www.savebiogems.org

    • Chief Moderator
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
        It was changed to one week.
        Jerry

        I was reviewing the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide (v. 1202) on the
        BGT.org site prior to writing my initial report . Under Chapter 5, Test
        Report Requirements, Initial Report, the opening sentence states: "
        The first report is due within one week of receiving the item being
        tested ...". However, someone (don't remember who - sorry) a day or so
        ago, noted in his post on monitor requirement that the first report is
        due within 48 hours after receiving the item.

        WHICH IS IT?

        Sonjia
        Sonjia Leyva
        http://www.geophile.net

        "Geologists are Scouts who hated to give up camping when they went to
        college, so they majored in geology." Ellen Sue Blakey
        I defend Biogems! www.savebiogems.org

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=17050660
        05:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_Cquo_1/g22l
        p?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=246920.2960106.4328965.2848452/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1464858/rand=952708779>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Sonjia <sonjialeyva@netscape.net>
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
          Woo Hoo! More time to play with it!

          Ahem. Make that, "test it". Yeah, that's it!

          Thanks!

          Sonjia
        • Andy Mytys <amytys@highstream.net>
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2003
            Yeah - otherwise, you'd just have enough time to take a crap, unpack
            the box, and write your report.

            Giving the testers a week, from my perspective, has made all the
            difference between having a report with a few, anecdotal, comments
            and a report that was more rubust and filled with meaningful
            information.

            Personally, I feel that the Initial Reviews that I've written have
            read like substancial reports in themselves. The field reports
            become just that... field experiences that prove or disprove my
            initial feelings of the gear in question.

            That week gives me time to make a lot of good, constuctive,
            observations, put together a test plan, and publish all of this.

            My reports, taken in sum, become like a well formed paper. An
            introduction, body, and conclusion, with the body being formed in
            throughout all three reports.

            Two days would be just enough time to give simple stats like weight,
            color, and size. The reader would have to wait a whole 2-months to
            get any meaningful information whatsoever, and I'd hardly be happy
            with what I wrote in the first place.

            Heck... I'd most likely use the "5-day window" (or however long we
            get to delete and re-upload reports) to change my reports entirely.

            And that would turn me into an even bigger PITA :)

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Sonjia <sonjialeyva@n...>"